P500 windshield idea

Buckster

Buckster

Aug 9, 2015
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
My wife does not like windshield on most of time because of taking pics and likes the extra air ----- but i know weather changes quickly in mountains!!! She suggested a roof mount. This is what we ended up with. Its great!!! can put on or take off in just a couple of minutes. Had to use pan head screws to mount black rubber to windshield better----used 18 inch stainless tubes mounted to diamond plate on roof. had to put backwards on roof to fit ---but fits perfect. We road in Colorado a couple weeks ago ----- it was great---- glad it was available!~!!!! saved us a couple of times. no problems w brush----held up great. Bought 2 bottom clips witch are permanently mounted on roof bars for easy on and off..
Fudd

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
My wife does not like windshield on most of time because of taking pics and likes the extra air ----- but i know weather changes quickly in mountains!!! She suggested a roof mount. This is what we ended up with. Its great!!! can put on or take off in just a couple of minutes. Had to use pan head screws to mount black rubber to windshield better----used 18 inch stainless tubes mounted to diamond plate on roof. had to put backwards on roof to fit ---but fits perfect. We road in Colorado a couple weeks ago ----- it was great---- glad it was available!~!!!! saved us a couple of times. no problems w brush----held up great. Bought 2 bottom clips witch are permanently mounted on roof bars for easy on and off..View attachment 5734
Smart lady.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Pretty neat idea. Lets see some of the other mods on your machine, looks pretty well setup. What are those tires, and how big are they. What kind of bed do you have on the back?

Buckster

Buckster

Aug 9, 2015
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Mud bug
Pretty neat idea. Lets see some of the other mods on your machine, looks pretty well setup. What are those tires, and how big are they. What kind of bed do you have on the back?
Tires are 27 inch mud bugs----love them ---- rear box is home made--actually 2 boxes --one waterproof and the other is designed to get 2 bow cases in it along with spare 4 gallon gas tank----when not hunting fits a big cooler and chainsaw

Reactions: p500fan
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My wife does not like windshield on most of time because of taking pics and likes the extra air ----- but i know weather changes quickly in mountains!!! She suggested a roof mount. This is what we ended up with. Its great!!! can put on or take off in just a couple of minutes. Had to use pan head screws to mount black rubber to windshield better----used 18 inch stainless tubes mounted to diamond plate on roof. had to put backwards on roof to fit ---but fits perfect. We road in Colorado a couple weeks ago ----- it was great---- glad it was available!~!!!! saved us a couple of times. no problems w brush----held up great. Bought 2 bottom clips witch are permanently mounted on roof bars for easy on and off..View attachment 5734

AWESOME idea patent that sucker ! :)

Reactions: Buckster
Buckster

Buckster

Aug 9, 2015
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I do like this machine but it does have some faults----- it is tippy in deep ruts and you need to be very careful because weight is towards rear of center and front tire does want to come up on uneven ground . Wife and I had it on its side once on steep hill with ruts when i tried to stay out of them and had rear slide into them. However it was easy to flip back up----just needed to trust power and clearance and we would have been fine. I think front end could use some more weight----but not a big deal---you do get heat in cab but noticed it more w windshield on---- which i think is good the way we are set up! only put it on when it rains or cold!! this forum has given me lots of ideas---- i insulated manifold and pipes but made little difference in heat issue . When you run with roof and windshield you create a vacuum which collects lots of dust---sealed up behind seat and installed back panel----problem solved --- over all it performed very well in high altitudes. just need to be careful on some 50 inch trails----if they are for sport machines you will not make it around some corners w a 20 degree pitch because of height of roll bars .

Last edited:
C

coyhunter

Dec 10, 2015
Ah close to my idea i am building a custom but plan on storing it on top of the hood though as i am already concerned that roll cage is too tall. 3 positions full, cracked open at the bottom and down which will turn it into a half windshield sort of this is how it will trailer to reduce wind load.

Reactions: sxsinks
advertisement
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I love your windshield and mount . This is homemade? Want to make any more? I think this is how I want to go I originally wanted the glass window but I will very likely break it . Honestly this is the best as I really only want it in the winter and rain and don't want it on the rest if the time as our summers can get a bit hot and I like the air. I also do a bunch of mudding and would not want it on then either

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I suppose as long as you're not driving under any low hanging branches, particularly of the dead variety it's a great idea!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I love your windshield and mount . This is homemade? Want to make any more? I think this is how I want to go I originally wanted the glass window but I will very likely break it . Honestly this is the best as I really only want it in the winter and rain and don't want it on the rest if the time as our summers can get a bit hot and I like the air. I also do a bunch of mudding and would not want it on then either
I kept the original box mine came in and it comes off in May for storage and goes back on in October.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I do like this machine but it does have some faults----- it is tippy in deep ruts and you need to be very careful because weight is towards rear of center and front tire does want to come up on uneven ground . Wife and I had it on its side once on steep hill with ruts when i tried to stay out of them and had rear slide into them. However it was easy to flip back up----just needed to trust power and clearance and we would have been fine. I think front end could use some more weight----but not a big deal---you do get heat in cab but noticed it more w windshield on---- which i think is good the way we are set up! only put it on when it rains or cold!! this forum has given me lots of ideas---- i insulated manifold and pipes but made little difference in heat issue . When you run with roof and windshield you create a vacuum which collects lots of dust---sealed up behind seat and installed back panel----problem solved --- over all it performed very well in high altitudes. just need to be careful on some 50 inch trails----if they are for sport machines you will not make it around some corners w a 20 degree pith because of height of roll bars .
I agree it's "tippy" in the deep ruts, a strong made front bumper, a winch and your chain stowed in the under hood bin will add ballast.

Reactions: Buckster

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!