P500 Windshield, latest recommendations?

J

JTW

Yes,Good point, just saw flat laminated glass (school bus windshield type) at $22 per square foot., Tempered around $25.
I'm buying the superATV flip out windshield.. it's a hard coat but I plan on having a piece of laminated tempered glass cut if mine eventually scratches. I may have to enlarge the gas shocks that hold the windshield up.. but I think this would be an awesome way to go. You might look into something like that.

Reactions: MrP500
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I just posted this over on that thread - Tempered glass is like a side window in your automobile. Your front windshield is laminated glass - 2 pieces of glass separated by a plastic film that bonds them together. Laminated glass doesn't shatter in a million pieces when it breaks. Keep this in mind when planning a windshield. ;)
I don't know what the options or requirements are for drilling laminated glass but tempered glass is drilled (obviously frequently) for multiple applications. Again, tempered glass shatters into millions of pieces and fragments. I personally wouldn't use it for a windshield.
You are correct in your description of the laminate glass vs tempered as far as the breaking characteristics. As an add FYI, tempered glass can't be drilled once it has been tempered. Or cut for that matter. That needs to take place before it's tempered. Laminated can be drilled, it just takes some patience, and precision as you basically drill one side to the laminate then flip it over and drill exactly in the same place on the other side. It's a bit tricky, but not impossible. I've made some hanging shelves out of lami before for ceiling mount projectors to sit on without fear of them crashing to the floor if it were damaged. Also, you need to use the proper kind of drill bit or things get ugly fast.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
J

JTW

You are correct in your description of the laminate glass vs tempered as far as the breaking characteristics. As an add FYI, tempered glass can't be drilled once it has been tempered. Or cut for that matter. That needs to take place before it's tempered. Laminated can be drilled, it just takes some patience, and precision as you basically drill one side to the laminate then flip it over and drill exactly in the same place on the other side. It's a bit tricky, but not impossible. I've made some hanging shelves out of lami before for ceiling mount projectors to sit on without fear of them crashing to the floor if it were damaged. Also, you need to use the proper kind of drill bit or things get ugly fast.
Would any of it work well or be feasible as a replacement for an upper windshield like this??

IMG 1566

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Would any of it work well or be feasible as a replacement for an upper windshield like this??

View attachment 27976
Possibly. The bottom where its curved would pose a problem. However if it came down far enough, it would probably overlap the lower enough to sort of seal against it. I'd have to see one more close up to be certain. That being said,if the bottom edge being flat can be worked around i see no reason the hardware couldn't be retro fitted to a piece of glass. It would be best if the laminate were set in a rubber gasket though, to accommodate the rough service it would undergo as a ws on a sxs. It doesnt like to slam around, or flex too much. Hence the reason your ws vets chips from rocks, and also cracks from those points easily. Lami is "soft" compared to tempered. But lami stays intact as opposed to tempered exploding when struck just right. Glass is kinda weird in how "strong" and at the same time "fragile" it is.. the plus to the plastics is they are more predictable in how they act for the most part. I could go on, but I'm sure it would bore the hell out of most..

J

JTW

Possibly. The bottom where its curved would pose a problem. However if it came down far enough, it would probably overlap the lower enough to sort of seal against it. I'd have to see one more close up to be certain. That being said,if the bottom edge being flat can be worked around i see no reason the hardware couldn't be retro fitted to a piece of glass. It would be best if the laminate were set in a rubber gasket though, to accommodate the rough service it would undergo as a ws on a sxs. It doesnt like to slam around, or flex too much. Hence the reason your ws vets chips from rocks, and also cracks from those points easily. Lami is "soft" compared to tempered. But lami stays intact as opposed to tempered exploding when struck just right. Glass is kinda weird in how "strong" and at the same time "fragile" it is.. the plus to the plastics is they are more predictable in how they act for the most part. I could go on, but I'm sure it would bore the hell out of most..
I think the lower bent portion can be gotten around by increasing the gasket size on the lower windshield. I guess my question is more geared towards the hardware mounting and span between it in the raised position. Would glass be stout enough to handle the abuse of riding with the windshield open. I was thinking a tempered laminated glass might be the best option but didn't know what thickness would be needed to support its own weight under riding conditions.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I think the lower bent portion can be gotten around by increasing the gasket size on the lower windshield. I guess my question is more geared towards the hardware mounting and span between it in the raised position. Would glass be stout enough to handle the abuse of riding with the windshield open. I was thinking a tempered laminated glass might be the best option but didn't know what thickness would be needed to support its own weight under riding conditions.
Well, i dont think you can temper lami as its a heat process and it would likely not agree with the lami. I think ideally tempered glass with a film on the back set in a frame would be the toughest. Kinda like the way the armourlite one is.. lami glued in a frame like it is on a car would possibly work too, just depends on how much if flexes. Thats where lami loses its strength. If its "fixed" its very strong, but the edges are weak, and flexing would be the death of it. Tempered can flex more without breaking...right up until you get to its threshold and then its like a bomb going off it explodes so hard. Ask anyone whos had a doorglass or backglass break on them and they can tell you how much energy is released when tempered goes. Like i said, glass is sort of weird in its strengths and weaknesses

Reactions: rocmar
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Either way, the glass is easy to get cut to size as long as its flat, and you have some sort of frame assembly to put it in you can make it work.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
And if you wanted to just cut out the center of the plastic and retain it as the "frame", a piece of lami set in a gasket would be the simplest and probably easiest route. Especially if it ever needed replacing again, then you have an exact pattern in which to replicate over and over as much as needed.

Reactions: Mudder
advertisement
E

edf

Oct 3, 2016
Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
That is interesting. The vent idea is kinda cool
I brought flip out version like Honda oem. It was on EBAY from motorheadzone. I emailed them directly and got it cheaper.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
No...
it will shatter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!