P500 Windshield, latest recommendations?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The one downside to the Honda windshield is the way they installed the rubber gaskets on the windshield...Mine kept falling off so I decided to gorilla glue them on....I figured by the time the gaskets wear I'll be ready for a new windshield...I was disappointed in the $$$ spent that they could have done something better there :)
Yeah, I lost one already. :(

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I like the door in the middle. It looks like it opens to a secret garden. Certainly there's an English Tudor design element
Yep, the English were proud of their formal gardens.

Reactions: doolin64
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Yeah, I lost one already. :(
I had already glued the side gaskets on and this past summer I went thru a local water hole....and someone pointed out I lost the bottom one..twice....so the glue came back out-LOL

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
The one downside to the Honda windshield is the way they installed the rubber gaskets on the windshield...Mine kept falling off so I decided to gorilla glue them on....I figured by the time the gaskets wear I'll be ready for a new windshield...I was disappointed in the $$$ spent that they could have done something better there :)

Yep, they either need glue/rubber adhesive or take them off. I took the side ones off and stored them. You really only need the side sealing if your are doing a full cab w/doors, ie snow plowing, etc.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had already glued the side gaskets on and this past summer I went thru a local water hole....and someone pointed out I lost the bottom one..twice....so the glue came back out-LOL
That stinks!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, they either need glue/rubber adhesive or take them off. I took the side ones off and stored them. You really only need the side sealing if your are doing a full cab w/doors, ie snow plowing, etc.
You're probably right. Ok, I'll take my one off and store it. :)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks for the heads up, always good info from the membership. Wonder if silicone RTV works?

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Go look under the accessories page. I just bought a full flip out. Waiting on it but it seems to be best of everything. For double sided hard coat lexan it was 266 shipped.
Hard coat
scratches'''''''''''
Plastic is better than
nothing....

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Go look under the accessories page. I just bought a full flip out. Waiting on it but it seems to be best of everything. For double sided hard coat lexan it was 266 shipped.
That's a good buy. I've had the hard coat for a thousand miles and I ride in very thick under brush. No scratches yet, you'll be pleased with it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yup, secret spot protected by Glock & Co!

Update, got the windshield and see what was said about wind and stuff coming in from back air flow, has me thinking about a rear cover. Also thinking about windshield film, had to put similar "security film" on new house addition windows by steps to meet code. It was a 3M product from glass shop and cost $60 for a 60x36 inch piece, squeezed on with water. Any better suggestions?
Heads up. Tried the 3M security film, did not look too good and was softer and likely prone to scratches. Read how the adhesive dries and has to be removed with razor blade cuts, so I quickly removed and trashed it. $30 wasted. Sticking with the uncovered hard coat for now.

Reactions: JTW
Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved the $600 on the hardcoat windshield, made a steel frame and put regular auto glass in it with a gasket. The plastic/lexan sucks when it get scratched and even when new driving into the sun is nearly impossible during late evening hours.

Reactions: 100Acre and JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have saved the $600 on the hardcoat windshield, made a steel frame and put regular auto glass in it with a gasket. The plastic/lexan sucks when it get scratched and even when new driving into the sun is nearly impossible during late evening hours.
Just read old thread about using tempered glass from glass shop. I recently had a shower door made with holes for hinges. If I use my Honda windshield as a template, the flat part would be around $225 if the Internet price of $25 per square foot is correct. Could use same bolt holes to join the upper and lower curved sections??????

Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just read old thread about using tempered glass from glass shop. I recently had a shower door made with holes for hinges. If I use my Honda windshield as a template, the flat part would be around $225 if the Internet price of $25 per square foot is correct. Could use same bolt holes to join the upper and lower curved sections??????
I just posted this over on that thread - Tempered glass is like a side window in your automobile. Your front windshield is laminated glass - 2 pieces of glass separated by a plastic film that bonds them together. Laminated glass doesn't shatter in a million pieces when it breaks. Keep this in mind when planning a windshield. ;)
I don't know what the options or requirements are for drilling laminated glass but tempered glass is drilled (obviously frequently) for multiple applications. Again, tempered glass shatters into millions of pieces and fragments. I personally wouldn't use it for a windshield.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I just posted this over on that thread - Tempered glass is like a side window in your automobile. Your front windshield is laminated glass - 2 pieces of glass separated by a plastic film that bonds them together. Laminated glass doesn't shatter in a million pieces when it breaks. Keep this in mind when planning a windshield. ;)
I don't know what the options or requirements are for drilling laminated glass but tempered glass is drilled (obviously frequently) for multiple applications. Again, tempered glass shatters into millions of pieces and fragments. I personally wouldn't use it for a windshield.
Yes,Good point, just saw flat laminated glass (school bus windshield type) at $22 per square foot., Tempered around $25.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!