P1000 Windshield protection while hauling

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Been hauling my machines for going on different rides for the last 10 years. I've always used a rubberized tarp to cover the windshield to protect it from stones etc: Got back from a ride Saturday 1 1/2 Hr hwy haul each way and when I took my cover off this is what I found. No idea what hit it but it destroyed the windshield. So my question to others what do you use to protect your windshields on your Pioneer 1000 while hauling.
I'm thinking of loading and placing it on the trailer backwards after this happening. I have a canopy on the back on the Pioneer that has lexan for the windows, and it blocks most of the wind from affecting the roof, being blown off. I've also used some rubber straps on each corner of the roof back. Anyone have any issues with hauling there machines backed onto the trailer ??? Thanks for any feedback.

IMG 3822 IMG 3218

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been hauling my machines for going on different rides for the last 10 years. I've always used a rubberized tarp to cover the windshield to protect it from stones etc: Got back from a ride Saturday 1 1/2 Hr hwy haul each way and when I took my cover off this is what I found. No idea what hit it but it destroyed the windshield. So my question to others what do you use to protect your windshields on your Pioneer 1000 while hauling.
I'm thinking of loading and placing it on the trailer backwards after this happening. I have a canopy on the back on the Pioneer that has lexan for the windows, and it blocks most of the wind from affecting the roof, being blown off. I've also used some rubber straps on each corner of the roof back. Anyone have any issues with hauling there machines backed onto the trailer ??? Thanks for any feedback.

View attachment 297298 View attachment 297300
Sorry for the loss. I have two thick mover's carpet pads with ratchet straps stitched across for tie downs. I put the first over the windshield and part-way onto the hood, then the other across the front and hood to protect the lights.
Still, there's no way they'd save my windshield from whatever hit yours; looks like it could've been a Cooper Mini. I'm mostly concerned about the sand-blast of a gravel road at 45 mph.
Your set up may work fine backed onto the trailer.
My Kolpin and Seizmik (Lexan) windshields had big, underlined warnings in the manual not to open haul backwards - the mounts aren't designed for the reverse airflow.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Enclosed trailer might be the best answer overall…I know expensive compared to not having one.

look at it this way…

lot harder to know what your hauling..
It will always be in the proper condition
And the trailer can double as a sleeping space with small works.
it doubles as storage when you aren’t hauling it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't done this, so mostly a guess, but should work. Sheet of plywood, maybe 3/8", glue firm closed cell foam, and inch or two thick, to the edges that will contact the outer edges of the windshield. (If it's a split windshield, add a horizontal foam strip to contact the overlap.) All surfaces will need to be clean before mounting protector. Probably ratchet straps so the foam will be slightly compressed so it can't shift and risk scratching windshield (at edges).

R

rickoshea

i use rock tamers on the truck.they won't protect from passing vehicles,but that is where my insurance comes into play.they kept my boat from being chewed up for years and thousands of kilometers of gravel/dirt roads.

Z

Zaldan

Oct 22, 2018
Edmonton alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took two old road signs (aluminum) riveted together , cut to size , drilled 4 holes in windscreen added rubber vibration pads to screen . With 5 /16 bolts thru pads 2 wing nuts at bottom two spring pins at top .takes 2mins to take off and on

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

advertisement
Paul_H_L11

Paul_H_L11

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2021
Covington, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took two old road signs (aluminum) riveted together , cut to size , drilled 4 holes in windscreen added rubber vibration pads to screen . With 5 /16 bolts thru pads 2 wing nuts at bottom two spring pins at top .takes 2mins to take off and on

Any Pics?

Z

Zaldan

Oct 22, 2018
Edmonton alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lower passenger side hole in screen protector is passenger wiper blade

Reactions: Lady01
Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 297298 View attachment 297300
Details on that badass rear enclosure please. Home made? How’s it secured to the bed?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Details on that badass rear enclosure please. Home made? How’s it secured to the bed?

The canopy is held down by 4 turn buckles in each corner fronts pull forward and rears pull backwards. The side movement is stopped by having plywood up against the inside of the box and the canopy was built outwards from there. I also made some stake pockets so that I can put my stake sides for hauling straw etc. so in the rear you can see the stakes holding the rear of the canopy from coming inwards.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

The canopy is held down by 4 turn buckles in each corner fronts pull forward and rears pull backwards. The side movement is stopped by having plywood up against the inside of the box and the canopy was built outwards from there. I also made some stake pockets so that I can put my stake sides for hauling straw etc. so in the rear you can see the stakes holding the rear of the canopy from coming inwards.
Looks awesome! Does this still allow the bed to tilt?

Z

Zaldan

Oct 22, 2018
Edmonton alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes they are road signs ! And yes that's a honda windshield

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!