Windshield vs Wind Deflector vs Wiper Requirements

S

smitty42

Jan 20, 2015
We ride with groups and it gets pretty dusty especially in the summer (covered in dirt after a days ride and the wife is not happy). Have been considering a windshield or wind deflector along with the fabric rear panel to alleviate some of the dust issue. Now, I'm sure that the tip out windshield would be the best solution, but was wondering if the wind deflector would also serve to direct the dust up and over. Any thoughts on the subject.

Now there are a couple of issues with the windshield. One is visibility if a little moisture mixed with dust or just covered in dust might pose a problem. Guess one could stop and clean it but that means carrying soft brush, rags, and cleaner. Now the big issue with a windshield is the bureaucratic nightmare in the State of Oregon. Now we do not live in Oregon but ride there occasionally and Oregon ATV requirements are that you must have windshield wipers if you have a windshield. I am not about to purchase a wiper to meet Oregon law (yes I have the Oregon ATV Safety Card). So this would mean remove the windshield when we go to Oregon....pain in the you know where. So I'm back to the question of would a wind deflector possibly solve the dust issue.

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
I have the Honda windshield.
It is easy enough to take off and reattach so if you have a place to store it you can do that.
As for dust, the existence of it does cause a wrap around effect with the wind. I notice a bit more dust/dirt on the inside when the screen is on.
I wonder if a rear panel would help with that.
Mind you I only intend to ride with it when temps are below 40. In that respect it is like night and day as far as comfort on cold days.
I just took a ride here in North PA where the temp is about 6 degrees, winds near 30. Brutal cold but it was OK riding with the windshield.
I cant speak from experience but I don't think a deflector is going to provide the same wind protection.
Your point about cleaning is a good one, when the roads and trails are wet/muddy it does accumulate grime.
Most times I am able to spray it off with fresh water from the hose. When its too cold for that, I use a small spray bottle to wash the dirt off and a soft cloth to just make it usable, not expecting a clear shine here.
Never saw a wiper for the 500 windshield, just one for the 700 myself.
Happy riding!

S

smitty42

Jan 20, 2015
Forgot to ask how effective would a windshield be without a roof?

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
good question, I've run it with roof alone, roof and windshield but never windshield alone
something tells me if you run without a roof the road dust will come over the top instead of around the sides

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!