P500 Plow considerations: Denali Pro vs standard?

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
After shoveling miles of gravel drive by hand last winter, I'm considering getting a plow. 1/2 mile gravel drive. Looking at a 66" plow for the P500.

Looking at the Denali Pro vs the Standard from the HondaSXS shop. I like the idea of a the county-road style Pro, but it's built to angle off in one direction only. Not a huge deal but I've heard people wished it angled towards the driver side so they could watch the edge as they plow. The standard angles the same both ways but misses some of the "throw."

I have a slight suspicion that the P5 plowing on gravel won't have enough speed to "throw" snow anyhow. I haven't seen it done.

Also, the Pro is slightly thinner steel than the standard (12ga vs. 11ga.) Because I'm probably going to beat it up on gravel, If it were you, does this factor in?

I also don't get a ton of snow here in central Indiana.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Look at a Western or a boss It u want quality, versatility and longevity. Sometimes the club store has a discount for plows as well that can make that more appealing

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I like the idea of a the county-road style Pro, but it's built to angle off in one direction only. Not a huge deal but I've heard people wished it angled towards the driver side so they could watch the edge as they plow.
Been using a Warn tapered plow blade with my ATV for 8+ years now. Same taper direction. Zero issues or complaints. If I were buying a new plow system for the P1K5, I'd buy a tapered blade again.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks man this is good to hear
Also, you may wish to review this post of mine. I would consider doing the top option if you're plowing long stretches of gravel driveway:

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I'm jumping in this thread in hopes to get an education on plow setups for the P520.

We don't get a ton of snow annually but, we typically get enough where I could use a plow several times a year. I've been using my tractor (open station) with the front loader/bucket and it kinda sucks. Basically, the bucket is the wrong tool and I'm usually freezing before long and stop altogether before I've really accomplished anything, lol.

I don't have a winch kit (yet) but, this setup looks interesting;

Thoughts? Comparisons?

Mike

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm jumping in this thread in hopes to get an education on plow setups for the P520.

We don't get a ton of snow annually but, we typically get enough where I could use a plow several times a year. I've been using my tractor (open station) with the front loader/bucket and it kinda sucks. Basically, the bucket is the wrong tool and I'm usually freezing before long and stop altogether before I've really accomplished anything, lol.

I don't have a winch kit (yet) but, this setup looks interesting;

Thoughts? Comparisons?

Mike
The aforementioned Warn plow (kit) that I have on my Grizzly is a Warn ProVantage kit.

Most of the Warn (and other) solutions require:
  • A machine specific mount (the part that bolts to your machine and stays attached even when not plowing)
  • A standard/generic base/push tube (that connects/disconnects to your machine specific mount)
  • The plow itself (I have a tapered blade; that link you posted shows a straight blade)
  • Ancillary components (e.g., plow blade markers, side snow deflectors, etc.)
If you're going to use your winch to raise/lower the blade, make sure you have a roller fairlead (not a hawse) even if you run a synthetic rope. If you plow with the synthetic rope and a hawse, you'll go through ropes much more quickly.

Depending upon the surface you are going to plow (concrete, gravel, dirt, etc.), you might wish to consider changing out the steel wear bar (where the plow meets the surface) for something more conducive to that surface you are plowing. See the link in my post (#5) a few post above.

Generic mounts (versus machine-specific mounts) can be a PITA, as most machine-specific mounts are almost non-noticeable when the base/push tube/plow is NOT installed, while many generic mounts hang down lower and can get caught on things (when you are not plowing).

As far as getting cold: You'll want to look into some sort of enclosure. I don't run a P520, so I can't give any recommendations on that. The HondaSXS forum SEARCH function might help you find something.

Be sure to shop around. I found the cheapest prices for my Warn stuff on Amazon. You'll have part numbers for the mount, the base/plow tube and the plow blade.

Again, this winter will be my 9th winter and I have been pleased with every component except for one optional component that you can't buy anymore: The ProPivot (electric rotation of blade - it was discontinued due to poor design).

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Six yrs using a KFI 66". Like the P5, it's bulletproof.

Plowing

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If I had a long drive to plow, I'd get a county style like the Denali.

For everything else, I'd get my KFI Pro-Poly (again). 66" seems about perfect for a P5.

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Denali pro 66 plow, but have not plowed much In the last 2 years. This is a big heavy plow for a P500, it (the plow) feels very solid but the P500 is not very heavy or powerful. 66 inch is a good width for a 50-inch vehicle, but it really squats the front end when lifted. My problem is traction (stock tires), but you could put on chains to get more bite.

L

Labeef

Jun 18, 2016
Hope, MI
Ownership

1. 500
If someone has a need, I have a Warn 93730 brand new and complete in the box. It's the unit that bolts to the frame for the 500. $125 plus actual shipping cost from MI. A project I started but it became easier to mount a rear plow on my tractor. To late to return it. Like to see it go to good use.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
OK will do! Watch it not snow at all this year...

I thought the same thing when I installed my plow. We ended up getting some heavy late February/early March snow.

I went with a 60" wide Tusk plow and it has worked fine for me. It goes right through where the City plow trucks pile snow up at the end of my driveway.

F

Flienlow

Feb 4, 2022
seattle
Ownership

1. 520
Late to the party and looking for a plow for my 520. I don't have a lot of plowing to do. Is there any reason not to go with the Honda/Warn Solution?

Reactions: Buggyman
K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I would have recommended going with the Tusk brand snow plow kit but it looks like they have been discontinued. Shop around and you can probably still find a decent plow kit cheaper than the Honda/Warne setup.

Reactions: Buggyman
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Late to the party and looking for a plow for my 520. I don't have a lot of plowing to do. Is there any reason not to go with the Honda/Warn Solution?
Check the club store probably a better price and a good quality. FWIW I run KFI plow and very happy with it

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!