BOX1 - TEST

Windshield

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Be careful cleaning the poly windshields on the 500. I had my 500 on a trailer and was returning home with a friend. While gassing up the truck my buddy grabbed the Scrub-N Squeegee thing in the bucket by the pumps and hit the truck windshields and then washed the 500's windshield. I didn't notice him doing it and probably wouldn't have thought to stop him anyway. You might as well have taken sandpaper to the windshield. I don't know if it was the dust on the windshield, the tool, the dirty water in the bucket or all of the above, but it ruined the windshield. Driving into the sun, specially if the sun is low, you are blind. I'm not talking about hard to see, I'm talking blind. I have to stick my head out and look around the windshield a lot of the time, it's that bad. I've got a polish kit from Novus that my Honda dealer recommended, fix'n to give it a try because I've got nothing to lose. If the polish kit doesn't help the scratches, a whole lot, I've got to buy a new windshield. So be careful out there when washing the windshields.

Reactions: swsebek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wow..
I'm assuming this was the standard and not the hard coat version.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, mine's the standard windshield, although I've seen a hard coated version that was scratched up almost as bad as mine.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Be sure to let us know if that stuff works, though I haven't hears of any others with the same problem. Lots of members have the same windscreen but usually inquire about how to clean properly. I also have the poly windscreen but have been very careful but I've got a few scratches from branches.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
This windshield is called the "optical" windshield. And yes this happened to me. It was my fault, I used a lint free surgical rag and put scratches in the glass. Not as bad as it sounds you did. I too bought the novus but have not attempted to polish it yet. It's -10 here right now and would like it to be tolerably warmer. I will let you guys know when I try it

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this on my Honda Hardcoat windshield on my Valkyrie. Got it at the dealer.

Worked well no scratches, got the bugs and road grime off. You do want to use a soft rag and follow the directions.

Ec2e83cdef9c91201bc81083569912a6
67679352821d27100f96c2f4c1e35a87

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone used a tear off like the race car drivers use on their windshields? I've wondered if a protective covering like that or like is used on computer tablet or cell phone screens wouldn't be a way to protect the plastic windshields from getting so scratched up.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Couldn't find this local so I ordered it off Amazon. Cleaned it real good, polished it twice with the #3, then about 4 times with the #2 and then gave it a good cleaning with the #1. I believe another go round the #3 and a couple with the #2 and it will be good to go. It's already better than I expected it to ever be. Not only took out most of the scratches, but it cleared up the milky white that was about as bad a the scratches. If I quit now I'd be satisfied with the results, but since I've got it off and in my shop and the high is forecast for 25* today, I'm going to hit it another round.

IMG 1720 zpssjb63ycq

IMG 1722 zpsw3rt145y

I'm still looking into finding a protective film, like a tear off or tablet screen protector. I've got a niece that's in the glass business, car windshields, and I've got her hunt'n around for something to put over the poly windshield after I get done polishing it. The worse thing about this process so far has been my shoulders holding up, kind'a reminds me of the old movie, "The Karate Kid", wax on/wax off. Takes lots of rubbing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the Novus made for the flexible windows like used on the Soft Doors?

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Not sure about using the heavy stuff (number3). I'm thinking the number 1 would work well for the soft plastic. Here are the back labels, hope it helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 406
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I polished the windshield as much as my shoulders would take and it came out better than I thought it would, but it still had a lot of glare from the scratches when you were driving into the sun. I was talking to my niece, who just happens to own an auto glass shop, and asked her about tinting the windshield. I left it at her shop and they buffed it out some more and put the lightest window tint they had, on the inside of the windshield. The reason for putting it on the inside was to protect the tint from getting scratched off. WOW!!!! Did this ever make a difference. The tint has cut the glare on the "plastic" windshield to nothing. If you stand on the outside of the 500 and look at the windshield at an angle you can still see some scratches, but looking straight through it from inside or out you can't see any. I really think I can see better with this tinted windshield than I could through it when it was new and in perfect shape. Even the areas that weren't scratched actually look clearer with the tint on it, because of the reduced glare. If I bought a new windshield tomorrow I'd take it to a glass shop and have it tinted before I put it on.

Reactions: Plumber32
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've seen clear plasti dip would this work as a tear off ,or would it look cloudy to look thru ? Just a thought.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Way too cloudy. Not sure what a good option is, I have glass on my 700 because you can have a wiper and it not destroy the surface but apparently upon visiting the 500 accessory page a glass windshield is not available for the 500??? Maybe EMP will make one? I think they have one for the 700.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
The folks at the auto glass shop allowed that if I wasn't satisfied with my windshield they could cut the middle out of it, leaving about 4 to 6 inches around the outside, and glue a flat piece of windshield glass to it. I'm thinking the polish and tint job has me fixed up for now, but if it gets cloudy or really scratched up again I'm going to let them try it. They thought they could do it for a lot less than a new windshield would cost.

I was also told when washing the poly windshields make sure to use approved products on it, absolutely no ammonia, alcohol or harsh cleaner and don't use paper products to wipe with. Basically mild soap and water and use your hand to wash it. Novus, and I'm sure others, make a special cleaner for the poly, but stuff like glass cleaner, i.e. Windex, will make the poly turn white and cloudy and paper will scratch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohanacreek
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
My windshield has been getting pretty scratched up. Mostly my fault from a tarp rubbing on it when trailering. I got some 3000 & 5000 grit sanding discs from Amazon and went to work with a palm sander. Followed up this with the Novus series to polish it up (get yourself a power polisher). Looks like I've made it usable again, not like new, but not bad. Next time I trailer I'm going to cover the windshield with this: Windows Protection Film. That should pretty well solve the rubbing problem.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Be sure not to use any cleaner with ammonia on your polycarbonate windows. It will destroy them. The best cleaner I have found is called ShowTime. You can get it from J&P but it's not cheap. Use this with a microfiber rag. Let's start a check list for do's and don't do's for the windows.
Don't
1. Ammonia
2. Paper towels
3. Dry Rags

Do's
1. Good quality waterless cleaner ( ShowTime)
2. Microfiber rags

Reactions: swsebek
BOX2
box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!