P1000 Winter riding and snow plowing HEAT

Dubfab

Dubfab

Sep 26, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for ideas to supply just alittle heat to the cabin of my 1000-5. It has front glass oem windshield and super atv poly rear windshield. Yes it’s open but just want ideas to get some heat in there. Please post some pictures of what you all did.

My current plan is to buy an RV 12 volt type hair drier or 2 of them and build something to get heat to cab. I have the dual battery set up and yes I know it will draw down the secondary battery using the heater all the time.
just looking to see what’s out there

let’s see what ideas and builds are out there

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Seat cushion

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for ideas to supply just alittle heat to the cabin of my 1000-5. It has front glass oem windshield and super atv poly rear windshield. Yes it’s open but just want ideas to get some heat in there. Please post some pictures of what you all did.

My current plan is to buy an RV 12 volt type hair drier or 2 of them and build something to get heat to cab. I have the dual battery set up and yes I know it will draw down the secondary battery using the heater all the time.

I plow with mine and use a "Lil buddy" propane heater mounted to the floor. Works awesome. Take out the under seat insulation. Stays plenty warm. If your going to be going down the road take the front panel off under the console on the floor. It will blow hot air in from the radiator.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the fan override switch from the club store and when I turn the fan on steady it keeps the windshield clear and some warmth. Also have a fan mounted under the seat with vents. I use it to cool in the summer and reverse it to heat in the winter.

Reactions: ChadD and 05Willys
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3

You mean open as in you don’t plan on adding doors or any kind of side enclosure? That’s going to be hard heat especially on a 5. I’d say with it open like that your best bet would be a heated seat or electric blanket.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Heating the cab without doors is going to be much like staying dry in the rain without a roof. Dress warmly will provide the best result.
An Inferno cab heater cab be purchased for $400 and fabric door uppers are about $600.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

Might consider getting a heated 12 volt motorcycle vest. Keep the vest close to your body and cover with outer warm clothing. You will be amazed how well this works. Make sure the vest has a quick disconnect on the cord for ease of getting in and out of the rig without having to drag the whole cord with you. You can probably just plug it into the 12 volt outlet in the cab.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

With nothing more than a roof and front & rear windshields, any kind of heater will be absolutely worthless. What do you think would happen if you took all four doors off your car in the middle of winter? Your heater doesn't stand a chance.

G

gianttrack

Oct 24, 2021
Estes Park CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you have the motorcycle heated gear, it's probably less than $20 to put a pigtail connector on the battery. Mine comes in under the left corner of the windshield. If it works on the bike, it has to work well behind a windshield. Come on snow!
Dave

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have the motorcycle heated gear, it's probably less than $20 to put a pigtail connector on the battery. Mine comes in under the left corner of the windshield. If it works on the bike, it has to work well behind a windshield. Come on snow!
Dave
Heated vest(s) work like a charm!
The same pigtail plug also doubles for the battery tender. Run it in under the dash and stow the cord in the storage net shelf. Change the 7.5A fuse to a 10A and add a second pigtail for the copilot’s vest!

2840057B 1B5D 4A72 96FA 14CFA9041E74

G

gianttrack

Oct 24, 2021
Estes Park CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most motorcycle heated gear uses a coax connector, so it will unplug easily if you forget or get tossed off. My battery tender uses the SAE connector (much harder to unplug), so I just wire both. Each has a fuse inline. I use a remote dual controller, one knob for the jacket liner and one for the gloves.
Dave

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
oldaker201

oldaker201

Nov 30, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I plow with mine and use a "Lil buddy" propane heater mounted to the floor. Works awesome. Take out the under seat insulation. Stays plenty warm. If your going to be going down the road take the front panel off under the console on the floor. It will blow hot air in from the radiator.

what kind of mounting option did you do for the buddy heater to floor? and which panel are you talking about under the console that you take out? thanks

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When i used a buddy heater i made a plate from plywood that fit floor good screwed the plate for the bottle to that no shotgun rider though.Made me nervish though could not keep the heat away from seat or dash very good heat though.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You guy's kill me! We had a two footer a few years ago. I put the blade on my 1951 8N Ford and 30 minutes later, our 1000 foot drive way was clean, I did wear the proper attire! HA!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You guy's kill me! We had a two footer a few years ago. I put the blade on my 1951 8N Ford and 30 minutes later, our 1000 foot drive way was clean, I did wear the proper attire! HA!
How many cows did you milk and how many chickens did you feed before you walked how many miles to school, @Smitty335 ? :D

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My current plow rig. Nothing like Blackwater EVOs, a Warn ProVantage system including ProPivot and a $300 Rigid light on my snow machine ... :)

Reactions: Smitty335
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what kind of mounting option did you do for the buddy heater to floor? and which panel are you talking about under the console that you take out? thanks
If you look on the firewall below the 12v plug you will see 2 5mm hex screws. Those come out. If your moving slow it's good for heat. If your going down the road and it's 0° out it ain't the best.
Last year I just glued it to the floor on a piece of wood. That didn't last. I ended up getting the cup holders that go in the middle for the back seats. And put it in there.

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!