P500 Wiring Question

Misfit88

Misfit88

Nov 9, 2015
New to the site, new to the Pioneer world. Just purchased a 2015 P500, had it out yesterday for about 2 hours. I rode it very hard, harder then my previous Sportsman 500. Performed flawless.

Now to my question:

I can not wrap my head around the wiring, adding a winch, LED Light bar, Snowplow electric winch and some dome lights. they problem is, do you run each individual power supply's directly back to the battery or can a power supply be run up front and everything plugs into that? If that is the case, how do you hook into the battery. It seems that other treads stop short of me understanding. I just need to know if I will run 5 or 6 power cords back to the battery or what my options are. Links or pictures are appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Reactions: Buryit
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
New to the site, new to the Pioneer world. Just purchased a 2015 P500, had it out yesterday for about 2 hours. I rode it very hard, harder then my previous Sportsman 500. Performed flawless.

Now to my question:

I can not wrap my head around the wiring, adding a winch, LED Light bar, Snowplow electric winch and some dome lights. they problem is, do you run each individual power supply's directly back to the battery or can a power supply be run up front and everything plugs into that? If that is the case, how do you hook into the battery. It seems that other treads stop short of me understanding. I just need to know if I will run 5 or 6 power cords back to the battery or what my options are. Links or pictures are appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Honda sells a wire harness that plugs in to the red plug under the hood.Cost is around 9.00.

Reactions: Jshell3 and Buryit
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Now to my question:

Thanks
Mike

Use harness for all accessories, but for winch I've used direct plug with wires supplied by Superwinch, and for voltmeter I've used posi tap connections to tap into cigarette lighter. The rest, heater , horn kit, power steering and HID kit into harness. It plugs under the hood , you will see wires with socket with red cap, the harness is direct plug and play . Also look for a post what wire on harness used for what. I've asked this question earlier.

If you need a picture of how it looks , let me know.

Reactions: Jshell3
Misfit88

Misfit88

Nov 9, 2015
Solrus,

Thanks for the help I have a wire harness on the way. A pic would be great, also, can't find anything on what wires are for what.

Reactions: Buryit
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Misfit88 !!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Solrus,

Thanks for the help I have a wire harness on the way. A pic would be great, also, can't find anything on what wires are for what.

Another way to find out which colored bunch of wires belong to is to open installation instructions for all OEM electronics and see what colored cables they requires. At work now. But will try to take a picture tonight. If you have time look through p500 threads and I know for sure I've asked this question before.

and yesm just found it, I even put part number to look up easier please read here P500 - ACCESSORY SUB HARNESS - 08Z08-HL5-A00 | The Honda Side by Side Club!

A

AZMountainRider

Hi all...I don't want to steel Misfit88's thread. And if you still need, let me know and I will upload a picture. But I have the harness in hand and have found the strand on what color goes to what. But if not using Honda accessories, I am wondering what wire is which inside of the Red,Green,Yellow & White wraps? I unwrapped only to the connectors, may even be more wires inline between connectors and main red harness.

Green and Red have one connector coming out that is attached to a white/black wire.
Yellow and White have 2 connectors. Female is as above, black/white wire. Male is Green.

Are the Black/white wires "hot" and the Green ground? And is there a difference in which will be tied to having the key turned on vs always "hot"?

Thanks

Oh yeah....my first post, but learning a ton here!

Reactions: Waldo and Buryit
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hi all...I don't want to steel Misfit88's thread. And if you still need, let me know and I will upload a picture. But I have the harness in hand and have found the strand on what color goes to what. But if not using Honda accessories, I am wondering what wire is which inside of the Red,Green,Yellow & White wraps? I unwrapped only to the connectors, may even be more wires inline between connectors and main red harness.

Green and Red have one connector coming out that is attached to a white/black wire.
Yellow and White have 2 connectors. Female is as above, black/white wire. Male is Green.

Are the Black/white wires "hot" and the Green ground? And is there a difference in which will be tied to having the key turned on vs always "hot"?

Thanks

Oh yeah....my first post, but learning a ton here!

Welcome to the club!

On Honda's the Green is almost always ground, the black with white is likely a switched 12v hot wire. easiest way to tell is with a 12v test probe from auto store and you can easily check what os always hot vs. switched on/off.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be careful, the 700 was switch ground. Not sure about the 500 but a test light will show voltage coming from the powered side of a ground circuit.(before the switch)

See below for example.

15dfcf423a7d716ae51486ce24f7a964

S

Skeeter

Oct 13, 2015
south louisiana

Now to my question:

Thanks
Mike

I ran a hot and ground wire from battery to a marine fuse box under the hood . Ran the hot and ground from the relay that feeds the lights to The fuse box and the hot that energies the replays to the accessory harness. The radio hot to the accessory harness as well to insure the key kills all power to insure it don't drain the battery. Also ran the hot and ground for the sound bar to the fuse box because it has a on/ off switch on it. plan to run winch to the fuse box as well. Reason I did my P500 in this fashion was to reduce the risk of a short in the main wring
disabling the unit in some remote area which if witnesses in the past.. May sound tedious but think it is worth it.

snide686

snide686

Oct 12, 2015
IOWA
I ran a hot and ground wire from battery to a marine fuse box under the hood . Ran the hot and ground from the relay that feeds the lights to The fuse box and the hot that energies the replays to the accessory harness. The radio hot to the accessory harness as well to insure the key kills all power to insure it don't drain the battery. Also ran the hot and ground for the sound bar to the fuse box because it has a on/ off switch on it. plan to run winch to the fuse box as well. Reason I did my P500 in this fashion was to reduce the risk of a short in the main wring
disabling the unit in some remote area which if witnesses in the past.. May sound tedious but think it is worth it.

I did same thing as Skeeter . $50 for all the goodies (panel-wire-insulation-connectors-etc) and I feel good about not tapping or spicing into factory wires and or piggy backing to install non factory items. Napa makes a awesome little fuse panel with clear cover which I mounted on support underhood for easy access. Also bought fuses that light up when blown for easy field repairs if needed. 22 inch light bar on roof and 10 inch on brush guard with no issues. I took off underbelly skids and ran 10 guage wire from battery with inline fuse along right frame rail to new fuse panel. Took some time but my opinion is it looks factory ( other than fuse panel ) and I've got another 4 cavities for future mods if needed.

IMAG0790 IMAG0794 2

Reactions: Waldo and Skeeter

15P5Mike

Jul 6, 2015
I did same thing as Skeeter . $50 for all the goodies (panel-wire-insulation-connectors-etc) and I feel good about not tapping or spicing into factory wires and or piggy backing to install non factory items. Napa makes a awesome little fuse panel with clear cover which I mounted on support underhood for easy access. Also bought fuses that light up when blown for easy field repairs if needed. 22 inch light bar on roof and 10 inch on brush guard with no issues. I took off underbelly skids and ran 10 guage wire from battery with inline fuse along right frame rail to new fuse panel. Took some time but my opinion is it looks factory ( other than fuse panel ) and I've got another 4 cavities for future mods if needed.
Did you mount the light right to the roof

snide686

snide686

Oct 12, 2015
IOWA
Did you mount the light right to the roof
Yes,light came with rubber pads for top side. Bottom side I just used some flat metal plates like 2"X6" and drilled hole in center of each to spread load and not crack plastic roof. 30 miles so far , no issues .

K

Kmhden777

Oct 13, 2016
Erie, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know what the max amp draw is on the factory accessory sub harness per wire lead? Also, is there a fuse in the fuse box for each of the accessory leads?

J

JTW

Does anyone know what the max amp draw is on the factory accessory sub harness per wire lead? Also, is there a fuse in the fuse box for each of the accessory leads?
The 1000 is 15amp accessory power and both leads feed off of it. It's been a while since i was messing with the 500 but I would assume the 500 is the same or very similar. I would suggest running a simple fuse block if you plan on adding much.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Pretty sure it's 10 amps per lead, that's what the cig lighter is. There is a factory fuse bank already and every accessory I've installed came with an inline fuse anyway.
Rule of thumb with all wiring is fat wire, shortest runs possible, beefy connections and minimize the amount of connections.

Reactions: Waldo and chrisC
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!