chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who in the hell tightened those lug nuts or loosened them?o_O I want a full investigation and I want it now!:mad:
Went for ice cream after supper and made it halfway back to the house. Bang, the left rear dropped on the road and my tire and wheel went rolling by me. Lucky for us I was going about 20mph on a secondary road. I figure those 3 seaters have way more power and just twisted the wheel off.;) Of course I took my jack and lug wrench out of the Pioneer a couple days ago... Lucky for me there are good people in this world who wanted to help...:) Didn't bugger the studs and all four lug nuts were laying in the road about 30ft apart. Nothing tore up when I went dragging the left rear on the road either.... whew! Top that you axle breaking, A-arm bending whippersnappers!
View attachment 47498 View attachment 47499
Hold my beer

IMG 1402

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You need the tapered lug nuts for those wheels. The Honda lug nuts have a round taper. The Honda lug nuts can damage the aftermarket wheels. You need to torque them with a torque wrench.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Drfubar, that was just one of the four, you better be ready for the other three to fall off!

You at least could've used an all-terrain tire that way the pioneer may decide to keep them attached.
Checked them all before I headed for home... other 3 tight
You need the tapered lug nuts for those wheels. The Honda lug nuts have a round taper. The Honda lug nuts can damage the aftermarket wheels. You need to torque them with a torque wrench.
lugnuts are tapered... ones that came specifically for the wheels and I don't need a torque wrench to know I have them tight. Any more torque and I'd have twisted them off.
amen,..Glad you didnt get hurt. It could have been worse
Thank you @ncred02 for your concern, my Wife and one of the dogs was with me and I'm thankful too that I was on flat / straight road going at a reasonable speed.
Street tires?! What the hell were you thinking?

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)
Got to have DOT tires in TN if you run it on the road and at $40 a tire it was a no brainer.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
3 tight and one fell off..... Your Mechanic needs a good pep talk.....I'm thinking It possibly could be an Alcohol Related incident....

Reactions: drfubar and sharp
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
so there is a reason most tire shops want you to recheck the torque after a few miles. Steel wheels you can probably get away with hand tightening, I think even, proper torque is in order for aluminum wheels. I use my torque wrench on lug nuts all the time, mainly because its longer than my tire iron. Glad you and mama are ok dr.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked them all before I headed for home... other 3 tight

lugnuts are tapered... ones that came specifically for the wheels and I don't need a torque wrench to know I have them tight. Any more torque and I'd have twisted them off.

Thank you @ncred02 for your concern, my Wife and one of the dogs was with me and I'm thankful too that I was on flat / straight road going at a reasonable speed.

Got to have DOT tires in TN if you run it on the road and at $40 a tire it was a no brainer.
Is that a county thing with the dot tires? My affidavit doesn't mention tires at all. I keep a copy with my registration just in case I run into a dick with a badge.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It isn't on the affidavit stating requirements unless I just missed it.
Nope just looked again. No mention of tires. It does state counties may prohibit operation of medium speed vehicles in their jurisdiction.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why didn't you just "lean it up on one side" and drive till you got home and could much more easily put the tire back on?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Easier to jack it up and put it back on.
Apparently i don't have the counterbalance weight you must have;)

Since my wife only weighs 123#'s I don't have much of a counter balance but I've seen plenty of people drive on two wheels so I figured that you were one of those good ones!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Since my wife only weighs 123#'s I don't have much of a counter balance but I've seen plenty of people drive on two wheels so I figured that you were one of those good ones!
Nope you got me mixed up with delton. He's the daredevil

Sent from my SAMSUNG 7 Active using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!