DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've come across some 700s in this same scenario. Must be something in the ecm programming that is anticipating an input that the driver isn't inputting.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the unit, the 700 is pretty solid.
I posted this on FB today and it seems the odd shifting 700 was my original in that was consistent and predictable. A lot of people saying there's does the same thing. Another said it seems to have a mind of its own. Wonder if the shift programs have changed?

If that's the way they really behave, then I'm glad I got the deluxe with the paddles.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Man thats a fine looking machine you got :cool::cool::cool:

Hope the shifting gets better for you and you're right some things never change about the quality control coming from the assembly. I had all kinds of loose and missing bolts when I got mine home. Much quieter after cleaning all that up. Had it in the woods and farm for 1st time on sunday and it's also much quieter there than it is on the back roads...even when only running 25 or so on paved roads it's still loud compared to when running same speed in pasture. After using it sunday, I am actually a lot happier with my purchase decision.

About 150 miles on it and I cant ride it anymore until the shop catches up so I can get in for 1st service. They say they are a couple weeks behind. Might just change the oil and roll, but I am not mechanical enough to check anything else :(

Enjoy that sweet machine brother!
20200621 095102

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Man thats a fine looking machine you got :cool::cool::cool:

Hope the shifting gets better for you and you're right some things never change about the quality control coming from the assembly. I had all kinds of loose and missing bolts when I got mine home. Much quieter after cleaning all that up. Had it in the woods and farm for 1st time on sunday and it's also much quieter there than it is on the back roads...even when only running 25 or so on paved roads it's still loud compared to when running same speed in pasture. After using it sunday, I am actually a lot happier with my purchase decision.

About 150 miles on it and I cant ride it anymore until the shop catches up so I can get in for 1st service. They say they are a couple weeks behind. Might just change the oil and roll, but I am not mechanical enough to check anything else :(

Enjoy that sweet machine brother!
View attachment 209151
Damn...that is a fine looking machine😁.

I also have a mystery bolt and rubber stopper I'm looking for.

Personally, I would NOT skip that 1st valve adjustment. @HondaTech has said many times that 700's are usually out at 1st service.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Personally, I would NOT skip that 1st valve adjustment. @HondaTech has said many times that 700's are usually out at 1st service.

Just talked to my dealer. Said he will listen for valve chatter to see if needed otherwise it'll just be oil change and bike inspection. Also will get steering wheel aligned.

He asked if I've heard any valve noise...I said have you ever heard how loud these things are and all the racket they make?????

S

SinginSam

Sep 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello All! Just thought I would add my two cents: I have a 2018 P700-2 Deluxe (really my wife's machine, my machine is a 2018 Rubicon). Just finished the first oil change, did it myself because the dealer was WAY backed up because of the pandemic. When I asked the dealer about the valve adjustment, he said he would be happy to do it, but that it is a waste of time and money. Rarely needed unless you hear some valve chatter ( I don't ). I trust him. Well anyway, the machine has plowed snow a few times and will handle 12 inches of fresh snow without any modifications at all! (except a plow of course-lol!) I've crossed over many a fallen tree(s) and ridden VERY rough trails on my property. The thing is a beast and just won't stop. I have no experience with other brands/sizes of SXS, but I would highly recommend this SXS to anyone based on what experience I've had! Hope it is as reliable as many are saying! Good luck with yours and enjoy!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yours looks exactly like mine. I’ve added guards, hard top, SuperATV windshield, and a Viper 4000 winch. I’m very happy with it. Not the fastest but dead reliable. Haven’t had any shifting issues. Good luck.
Still haven't gotten to take it out for a real ride.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

That has me wondering if being over tight could be tied back to the cam issue?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That has me wondering if being over tight could be tied back to the cam issue?
Seems like there is no answer to this. Thing is...while I have no evidence that not adjusting the valves contributes to this at all, it is a sore spot with this engine. So why poke the hornet's nest by not doing them?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I have had my nose the grind stone a little too much.
Didn't see this till now - you mensioned somthing in the shots from the trail thread that tipped me off.
I guess there's only one thing to say - you traitorous leach, no I mean congratulations. Haha
Hope this one gives you the same service the first p700 gave.

I agree, the p1k is nice but not all that.
700 has a "just right" vibe to it that even Goldiloks would approve.
Able to haul more then the p500 but still nimble in the bush.
And it is built with ATV technolagy that may not be perfect but is time tested by some of the most hill billyest creetens to walk the face of the earth.
It may not be the most fly but it will go the distance.

Now, let the travels, resume...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I guess I have had my nose the grind stone a little too much.
Didn't see this till now - you mensioned somthing in the shots from the trail thread that tipped me off.
I guess there's only one thing to say - you traitorous leach, no I mean congratulations. Haha
Hope this one gives you the same service the first p700 gave.

I agree, the p1k is nice but not all that.
700 has a "just right" vibe to it that even Goldiloks would approve.
Able to haul more then the p500 but still nimble in the bush.
And it is built with ATV technolagy that may not be perfect but is time tested by some of the most hill billyest creetens to walk the face of the earth.
It may not be the most fly but it will go the distance.

Now, let the travels, resume...
LOL...so long suckers. No, i mean...sorry to leave the 500 family behind.

I'm quite sure i will miss the 500's tiny size at times. Really...if they could just get the thing to ride a little better?

I will not speak poorly of the 500. It filled its role well for a bargain price.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, I finally got to take the thing out and put a few miles on it yesterday. It now has 90 miles. Some observations...

The good
The improve ride I expected over the 500 was right there. And I haven't even pulled a sway bar and I'm still running stock tires. And the larger size helped it do things yesterday that I had never done in the 500.
The water catchment pic I posted in shots from the trail is about 3/4 of the way around a little side chute I looked at several times in the 500, but some rock ledges threatened to tip it over further than I was comfortable with. The 700 walked right up this. This is a major reason I wanted one back.

Yes this machine seems a little quieter than my 2014, but... A few people claim that Honda made noise improvements around 2017. My machine is quieter than my old one, I'm also running a soft top and don't have that big long hardtop over the rear. Honestly, the noise is in line with those two factors.

I have to admit the power steering is awesome. A couple times yesterday I shifted into 4-wheel drive only to look down later and realize I'd left the machine in 4wdrive after clearing a rough section.

The torso bars that look terrible in pictures... I honestly have to say I didn't even notice them. Good job on that, Honda.

The bad
I still don't like the way this thing shifts compared to my 2014. I'm pretty convinced there's nothing wrong with the machine so much as the shift mapping has simply been changed... Perhaps in response to power complaints. For the most part it shifts fine, but it's like it gets stuck a sport or aggressive map, and doesn't come out when it should.
A great example would be climbing up a short Hill, then gaining speed at the top once it's flattened out. It's like the machine senses the extra input from the throttle, and then proceeds to hold that gear even to the point of revving the machine way out. Every now and again to actually takes one or two attempts of backing out of throttle to get to shift. Once it comes out of this state , it shifts perfectly again.
It still probably isn't completely broken in...And it has the paddle shifters which can immediately override it, so I I guess I can understand if Honda made the shifting more aggressive, but in my opinion it's too aggressive. Maybe some more miles will free this up a bit.
I should also note that there is a throttle position relearn procedure in the factory service manual, and I plan to do this to see if it makes a difference.

Okay, so this is the seventh model year of the pioneer 700. And in those years, can you really tell me you couldn't figure out a better way to keep the doors from rattling? I mean, this one is worse than my original one was. The doors rattled off the showroom floor, and the dump box began to annoy me so much on the trail yesterday that I actually stopped and tried to adjust it. I had to do these to my 14, but at least it took a few rides to get to that point. Again, you can't improve this at all, Honda?

Overall is nice to be out on the trail again, and nice to be in a 700 again. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride...

J

JTL4PR

Dec 14, 2020
Broken Arrow OK
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Anyone have a service/shop manual for a 2017 Pioneer 700-4. First SxS and use it misty on the farm checking fence etc. would like to do most maintenance myself but finding a manual has been hard. Grease zerks? Changing fluids, packing bearings etc..

H

HondaTech

Anyone have a service/shop manual for a 2017 Pioneer 700-4. First SxS and use it misty on the farm checking fence etc. would like to do most maintenance myself but finding a manual has been hard. Grease zerks? Changing fluids, packing bearings etc..

Any dealer can order a manual or you can as well on helminc.com

Just FYI, no current Honda SXS has any grease fittings.

Reactions: TripleB and JTL4PR
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, I finally got to take the thing out and put a few miles on it yesterday. It now has 90 miles. Some observations...

The good
The improve ride I expected over the 500 was right there. And I haven't even pulled a sway bar and I'm still running stock tires. And the larger size helped it do things yesterday that I had never done in the 500.
The water catchment pic I posted in shots from the trail is about 3/4 of the way around a little side chute I looked at several times in the 500, but some rock ledges threatened to tip it over further than I was comfortable with. The 700 walked right up this. This is a major reason I wanted one back.

Yes this machine seems a little quieter than my 2014, but... A few people claim that Honda made noise improvements around 2017. My machine is quieter than my old one, I'm also running a soft top and don't have that big long hardtop over the rear. Honestly, the noise is in line with those two factors.

I have to admit the power steering is awesome. A couple times yesterday I shifted into 4-wheel drive only to look down later and realize I'd left the machine in 4wdrive after clearing a rough section.

The torso bars that look terrible in pictures... I honestly have to say I didn't even notice them. Good job on that, Honda.

The bad
I still don't like the way this thing shifts compared to my 2014. I'm pretty convinced there's nothing wrong with the machine so much as the shift mapping has simply been changed... Perhaps in response to power complaints. For the most part it shifts fine, but it's like it gets stuck a sport or aggressive map, and doesn't come out when it should.
A great example would be climbing up a short Hill, then gaining speed at the top once it's flattened out. It's like the machine senses the extra input from the throttle, and then proceeds to hold that gear even to the point of revving the machine way out. Every now and again to actually takes one or two attempts of backing out of throttle to get to shift. Once it comes out of this state , it shifts perfectly again.
It still probably isn't completely broken in...And it has the paddle shifters which can immediately override it, so I I guess I can understand if Honda made the shifting more aggressive, but in my opinion it's too aggressive. Maybe some more miles will free this up a bit.
I should also note that there is a throttle position relearn procedure in the factory service manual, and I plan to do this to see if it makes a difference.

Okay, so this is the seventh model year of the pioneer 700. And in those years, can you really tell me you couldn't figure out a better way to keep the doors from rattling? I mean, this one is worse than my original one was. The doors rattled off the showroom floor, and the dump box began to annoy me so much on the trail yesterday that I actually stopped and tried to adjust it. I had to do these to my 14, but at least it took a few rides to get to that point. Again, you can't improve this at all, Honda?

Overall is nice to be out on the trail again, and nice to be in a 700 again. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride...
What is your thoughts of the throttle position relearn? I haven't Heard about this, until today!

H

HondaTech

What is your thoughts of the throttle position relearn? I haven't Heard about this, until today!

This is just to set the TPS incase its replaced to learn its zero position. I doubt you'll notice any change in anything.

Reactions: TripleB
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!