J

JTL4PR

Dec 14, 2020
Broken Arrow OK
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Any dealer can order a manual or you can as well on helminc.com

Just FYI, no current Honda SXS has any grease fittings.
Thanks for the information. I’m also looking for a solid recc on a roof and windshield for this ride. So far it’s been a reliable little machine. We will use it to get down to bottom acreage and do some fishing with the kids in the back this summer and keep working the fence line.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should also note that there is a throttle position relearn procedure in the factory service manual, and I plan to do this to see if it makes a difference.
What is your thoughts of the throttle position relearn? I haven't Heard about this, until today!
What Hondatech said. I noticed no difference, and the machine is still shifting exactly the same way nearly 1300 miles later. I think the shift mapping was changed just slightly on the newer models.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Am I mistaken, or are there different levels of assist with the power steering depending on drive mode (IE- 2wd/4wd/diff lock). There are times when id like a touch more assist in 2WD, though I confess, I want 74 Chrysler Imperial ease more than BMW M3 "feel".

Reactions: Slackjaw
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the information. I’m also looking for a solid recc on a roof and windshield for this ride. So far it’s been a reliable little machine. We will use it to get down to bottom acreage and do some fishing with the kids in the back this summer and keep working the fence line.

I've been very happy with my EMP aluminum roof.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I continue to be impressed with the soft top as well.

Well yeah, with no trees around you lol! I would be all over a soft top it wasn't for our woods and that annual trip up to Canuckistan....if they ever open the border back up!!!! Can't wait to get back up there and spend some money in my 2nd favorite country! And DG....I'm coming out...some day.....we've got a trip to texas in July if covid doesn't wreck it and plan on checking out some AZ 2nd home/planB properties while out there. Just gotta beat the hipsters and the interest rates.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well yeah, with no trees around you lol! I would be all over a soft top it wasn't for our woods and that annual trip up to Canuckistan....if they ever open the border back up!!!! Can't wait to get back up there and spend some money in my 2nd favorite country! And DG....I'm coming out...some day.....we've got a trip to texas in July if covid doesn't wreck it and plan on checking out some AZ 2nd home/planB properties while out there. Just gotta beat the hipsters and the interest rates.
LOL...well...I've actually smacked it over several trees. The areas down in the washes do tend to have a lot of bush. And the areas near the rivers/creeks have plenty of Tamarisk, which is super think like Rhododendron or something. I ran it into some that I thought would have torn it, but didn't.
I HAVE hit it on rocks (yes, really), the the other day, I went through an old Gate with iron posts, and the tilt was enough that I accidentally hit the top bar on it when the machine leaned into it. A little abrasion was all it did.
Now...if I did stuff like @CumminsPusher does, I'd probably go for a hardtop, but as of now, I'm a soft top guy from here on out.

Hit me up when you get out. I know some trails...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Since the 1st oil change, I had been running Walmart Supertech 10-30 synthetic. I haven't talked about it in here, but it had always used a small amount of oil...probably under 1/2 quart in the 600 mile oil change interval.

This last oil change, I switched to Rotella T6 5-40 due to availability issues with the ST. T6 sorta has a rep for reducing oil consumption, and apewars to have done just that. I've added no oil since the oil change.

Reactions: Mudwing
C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have about 400 miles on my 700 Deluxe now it still does that weird shifting nonsense from time to time. I have no idea why and same as you every time I have someone else look at it nothing. Its a owner hatred thing I think LOL

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have about 400 miles on my 700 Deluxe now it still does that weird shifting nonsense from time to time. I have no idea why and same as you every time I have someone else look at it nothing. Its a owner hatred thing I think LOL
Which weird shifting thing?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
slow shifting from 2ed to 3rd sometimes it seams to run at high RPM longer than it should
Did you ever figure out why?
At this point there's obviously nothing wrong with it and it's very consistent and what it does. I just think the shifting has been changed to be a little more aggressive than it was in my 2014. In that respect, I guess I'm glad I got the deluxe because now I just grab the paddle and up shift on my own. I actually find myself using those way more than I thought i would, but then again, part of that has to do with the new shifting.

When these were introduced, the press kit mentioned shifting maps for aggressive riding and for just normal riding. The best way to describe it is it's like the new machines slip into the aggressive mode much easier than the older one I had. I'm assuming your machine isn't doing something really crazy you like holding a gear to the rev limiter? Outside of that, is probably doing what it's meant to do. Just make sure the oil level is good.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That actually makes sense it does make a difference depending on how aggressively I drive Thank you for reliving my concerns
When I'm in the mountains I typically run it in manual shift anyway. Like you I'm very glad I went with the deluxe or I would totally hate it The auto shift is fine on roads and good trails. But sucks on sketchy trails

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...Here I am sitting at 2206 miles. I'm in the process of cutting a ride short because of three stalling issues that occurred in about half a mile. This business seems to have started a couple months ago at the end of the summer riding season, and is so sporadic and random it's hard to pin down what it is. But I have to go on a rant here....

Am we...or maybe I...lying to myself with this whole Honda thing?
My first 700 was an anvil. This one is proving to be not so much of one. The steering rack already has significant play in it and really needs to be replaced. The ball joints are squeaking. The doors and dump bed or even shoddier as far as alignment than my original (already poor) 700 was. And now this.
In nearly 9000 miles, that original 700 never once gave me any indication that I needed to worry about making it back home. The last few rides on this particular 700, I have consciously made an effort to stay somewhere where it would be easily accessed until I get this straightened out. With time, whatever it is will be found and fixed... But that's not really the point.

We...or at least I bought a 700 and/or a Honda for reliability and durability. In the process you give up certain things that other brands offer in the name of that. So if you're not getting that, what is the point? The justification is that I get to put a lot of miles on a machine without putting a lot of work in it, but is that really true?
The amount of time I spent trying to get the exhaust simply to quit squeaking could have probably changed three or four belts. Then things like trying to shim beds over so they latch somewhat straight...you have yourself a lot of time in the machine that you justified buying by not having to spend a lot of time on it.

There are days where the 700 catches the right moment and makes me smile. Then there are other days where I find myself consciously asking why in the f*** did I buy this over, say...an X2 wolverine? I hated my original 700, but as time and Miles went by I began to appreciate it more and more. As the miles go by on this one and things that shouldn't be worn out are starting to do so, I find myself going in the opposite direction. Wonder if there's a Yamaha dealer nearby...

Last edited:
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...Here I am sitting at 2206 miles. I'm in the process of cutting a ride short because of three stalling issues that occurred in about half a mile. This business seems to have started a couple months ago at the end of the summer riding season, and is so sporadic and random it's hard to pin down what it is. But I have to go on a rant here....

Am we...or maybe I...lying to myself with this whole Honda thing?
My first 700 was an anvil. This one is proving to be not so much of one. The steering rack already has significant play in it and really needs to be replaced. The ball joints are squeaking. The doors and dump bed or even shoddier as far as alignment than my original (already poor) 700 was. And now this.
In nearly 9000 miles, that original 700 never once gave me any indication that I needed to worry about making it back home. The last few rides on this particular 700, I have consciously made an effort to stay somewhere where it would be easily accessed until I get this straightened out. With time, whatever it is will be found and fixed... But that's not really the point.

We...or at least I bought a 700 and/or a Honda for reliability and durability. In the process you give up certain things that other brands offer in the name of that. So if you're not getting that, what is the point? The justification is that I get to put a lot of miles on a machine without putting a lot of work in it, but is that really true?
The amount of time I spent trying to get the exhaust simply to quit squeaking could have probably changed three or four belts. Then things like trying to shim beds over so they latch somewhat straight...you have yourself a lot of time in the machine that you justified buying by not having to spend a lot of time on it.

There are days where the 700 catches the right moment and makes me smile. Then there are other days where I find myself consciously asking why in the f*** did I buy this over, say...an X2 wolverine? I hated my original 700, but his time in Miles went by I began to appreciate it more and more. As the miles go by on this one and things that shouldn't be worn out are starting to do so, I find myself going in the opposite direction. Wonder if there's a Yamaha dealer nearby...

Hate all the issues for ya brother

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!