P700 Good buy or stay away?

L

lbear

Jul 25, 2019
Tucson
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I saw a 2014 700-4 for sale for $4500.00. Issue is there is water in the fuel tank and has been there for a while. Says it needs a fuel pump. Anything else I should be looking for or pass on this one?

Reactions: Isaiah
B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
What are the hours and miles? How's the overall condition of the unit? Does it look clean or ragged out?

L

lbear

Jul 25, 2019
Tucson
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Requesting that info and looks a bit muddy. It's been sitting in his garage with the back off, like he stated to do some work on it?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw a 2014 700-4 for sale for $4500.00. Issue is there is water in the fuel tank and has been there for a while. Says it needs a fuel pump. Anything else I should be looking for or pass on this one?
If there’s water in the fuel then there’s probably water in the oil. I say look the other way and keep shopping. It would be a little different if it were newer like a 2018-19, that would maybe be worth the risk.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup just like the last 2 post said. If you really want it I’d offer 450$ cuz of the unknown:eek:

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Id get it but id go through everything fuel inj. Filter pump. Check oil probably double oi change and pull the head just to look at the cylinder wall and the cam.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Grease monkeys might consider it as they have experience with it and may encourage you to buy based on their own knowledge - not yours!

If your are looking for a ride and asking if it's a good deal, then call a dealer and ask how much a new engine costs.
If you are not comfortable spending that amount on this unit + the engine, pass on it.
If you are comfortable spending that amount on it, go find a good one for the same price, buy it and go riding.

If you looking for a project and have time, tools and a place for it, then total what you have to spend, subtract $2,500 and that would be my final (not my first) offer.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree with the others. Unless you can get it cheaper and really want to tackle its issues I would spend a little more and buy something I can take home and ride. If you pay 4500 and 3000 for an engine plus whatever else it's gonna need you have basically bought a new one.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
yep thats why i posted what id do if i got it. If not mechanicly inclined enough to do atleast what i put. Dont get it. Cause your 50/50 on this one being an oil change and fuel assembly change. And good or could be full rebuild or half rebuild

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Personally I’d talk him down considerably and then possibly roll the dice based off a few things, but that’s me. I’m always looking for a deal.
45 for a 6 yo machine with problems is a bit too much. But usually the 700 can take water without too much trouble. I’d check all fluids including diffs, maybe it is simply just in the tank but never take someone’s word for it.
There should be signs, especially if the owner doesn’t know what he’s doing, it definitely takes a few oil changes to totally get rid of the milky look. Also could look at the air filter and passageways for signs of water or recently being cleaned. If you’re not sure what to look for maybe there’s a member here close by or a mechanic friend that could go with.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!