Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
BR,
This is a good catch. I will look
into reversing the fair lead for a
smoother contact.

John

I've mounted my Warn 4500S on the KFI mount. One obvious thing that I noticed that I'm not pleased to see is the angle of the fairlead coming from the winch spool, going up on a 45 degree angle or so, to the smooth surfaced open chalk. It's fine on the outside, but the 45 degree angle lightly contacts a not so smooth surface on the inside. The synthetic lines will wear and part in a heart beat if they chaff on anything. hopefully, it will be ok, but at this point, I'm not sure.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
BR,
This is a good catch. I will look
into reversing the fair lead for a
smoother contact.

John
John, If the fair lead is reversed, the angle would be more and of course very little protection outside the bumper. I almost feel like taking the supplied plate off and grinding and polishing it smooth. It was late last night when I mounted it, not sure how to handle this.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I looked at this briefly tonight,
and it seems that if we wind
the rope so that it exits off of
the top of the spool, the angle
doesn't look too bad. But I have
to get my wiring complete
before I can verify.

John

John, If the fair lead is reversed, the angle would be more and of course very little protection outside the bumper. I almost feel like taking the supplied plate off and grinding and polishing it smooth. It was late last night when I mounted it, not sure how to handle this.

Reactions: BigRiver
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I looked at this briefly tonight,
and it seems that if we wind
the rope so that it exits off of
the top of the spool, the angle
doesn't look too bad. But I have
to get my wiring complete
before I can verify.

John
Good point John, I'll have to check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Any other info regarding this issue? I stretched my synthetic cable and wound it tight by winching my truck up my driveway. I was disappointed to see my line running so hard on the fairlead. This will definitely cause an issue at some point. Especially as I look at how it works with my plow setup. .

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the same KFI mount , the KFI stealth winch unrolls from the top and seems to work fine on my set up, I believe if you rewind your winch so it unrolls from the top, it should be fine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I agree, this is a bad angle.
Switching to top spool will help.

This is bottom spool.
IMG 6698

Last edited:
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's probably why KFI sends a roller style fair lead instead of the tradition synthetic fixed style, I thought about changing mine to the fixed style , but I guess I will keep the roller, this will help relieve some of the stress off of the rope.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I have the Warn 4500S winch. It has two horizontal rods near the top of the spool, connecting either end of the winch. My concern now is that if I reverse the rotation on the line, it may contact the forward side rod before coming into contact with the fairlead.
If I ever find some time away from work, I can finish the install and try that approach. It will likely be better than the lower position, I just don't know yet.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I will take a look and see if it's possible to do as a top spool on mine. I have the same concern with the rods.

advertisement
P

posterboy

Here is my two cents. An Aluminum Hawse is designed for synthetic cables with a good straight pull. It is also originally used in the Truck industry for Rock Crawlers to lessen the chance of pinching the cable in the corners when they have slack on there rock anchor winch. The aluminum hawse works OK for the average mudder that does more of the straight pull. Unfortunately the hawse is not a good option for plowing because you are repeating to send the same amount and section of cable over and over a surface that is stationary.

If you are going to plow... Use a roller... If your Winch has to have an angle upward or down because of the design of your machine and where the winch has to be... use a roller... If you do not use your winch much and you like the looks of the hawse and you have a straight cable shot at the winches spool.... Then use a hawse if you want...

Top spool is not a good idea if you do not have to do it. The strongest point on the winch for the cable to come out is between the mounting surface and the spool. If you go to the top you are applying more leverage to the winch spool and mounting. You also need to make sure that the cable will not hit the bars that go around the Spool.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Here is my two cents. An Aluminum Hawse is designed for synthetic cables with a good straight pull. It is also originally used in the Truck industry for Rock Crawlers to lessen the chance of pinching the cable in the corners when they have slack on there rock anchor winch. The aluminum hawse works OK for the average mudder that does more of the straight pull. Unfortunately the hawse is not a good option for plowing because you are repeating to send the same amount and section of cable over and over a surface that is stationary.

If you are going to plow... Use a roller... If your Winch has to have an angle upward or down because of the design of your machine and where the winch has to be... use a roller... If you do not use your winch much and you like the looks of the hawse and you have a straight cable shot at the winches spool.... Then use a hawse if you want...

Top spool is not a good idea if you do not have to do it. The strongest point on the winch for the cable to come out is between the mounting surface and the spool. If you go to the top you are applying more leverage to the winch spool and mounting. You also need to make sure that the cable will not hit the bars that go around the Spool.

I actually ordered a roller fairlead last night. Just made more sense to me than changing things on my winch.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
With the roller type of fairlead, will the synthetic line actually contact the roller or will it touch the inside frame of the bumper first?

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I used my winch this past weekend and didn't have any problems with the synthetic line and hawse fairlead.....may change over time with more use though.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Another thing just occurred to me
on this winch. Isn't there a strap
for the first 3 or 4 feet of the
rope? I would feel better if this
was what contacted the fairlead
for raising & lowering the plow.

John

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!