P1000 Need help with electrical failure (power steering went out, then check engine, then engine totally stopped)

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just happend this afternoon after about 2 hours of stop and start riding doing chores. I stepped out to close a gate, got back in and the engine died. I had a NOCO jump start near, started fine, but no power steering. Ran for another 15 minutes, then same thing. Jumped it two more times, but it only runs for about 10 minutes then dies.

I took the battery completely out charged it fully on a 10A charger to fully charged. Checked all contacts, wire brushed everything--all tight. Put it back in, but all of the dash warning lights came on and it wouldn't start by itself. Jumped it again on the trailer and now it's sitting in my driveway.

What next? I did find a thread for checking engine ground points here. (See post #10): Ground thread with diagram

Here are two video showing what it does:

First video is first known failure:

Second video is after I fully charged the battery, wirebrushed all contacts, etc.:

I guess I really need some help finding all potential ground contacts so I can check them. Anyone have a good thread or diagrams?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just happend this afternoon after about 2 hours of stop and start riding doing chores. I stepped out to close a gate, got back in and the engine died. I had a NOCO jump start near, started fine, but no power steering. Ran for another 15 minutes, then same thing. Jumped it two more times, but it only runs for about 10 minutes then dies.

I took the battery completely out charged it fully on a 10A charger to fully charged. Checked all contacts, wire brushed everything--all tight. Put it back in, but all of the dash warning lights came on and it wouldn't start by itself. Jumped it again on the trailer and now it's sitting in my driveway.

What next? I did find a thread for checking engine ground points here. (See post #10): Ground thread with diagram

Here are two video showing what it does:

First video is first known failure:

Second video is after I fully charged the battery, wirebrushed all contacts, etc.:

I guess I really need some help finding all potential ground contacts so I can check them. Anyone have a good thread or diagrams?

Thanks in advance!
Take the battery to a auto parts store and have it tested,

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
grounds
Electrical issue1

But like others said above.
Sounds like a bad/weak battery
Load test the battery.
Have a good day

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
grounds
View attachment 365685
But like others said above.
Sounds like a bad/weak battery
Load test the battery.
Have a good day
So the initial reading on the battery was 10.4 V, which is bad. I put it on the tester (handheld automotive type with the heating element) and it read weak and zero with load. I measured the V again and it was 12.3 V. WTH?

I put it on the tester again and it read in the green, but zero with load. So, I guess it's D-E-A-D.

What's the best access for those grounds? From skidplate? Under the bed? I already checked under the seat, and not much is accessible there.

Reactions: Buggyman
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, the battery is toast. If you put it on a charger, the voltage may read good . . . that's called a "surface charge". Even so, the battery has no real capacity.
yep. I charged and installed a new battery. no problems anymore. But, I want to check the grounds anyway.

What's the best access? Through the rear seat floorboards?

I'm suspicious becuase this is a newish battery and I installed the permanent NOCO leads so I can just plug in the trickle charger when I'm away. None of that mattered to keeping the battery charged and it totally failed.

Thanks

advertisement
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad you found the problem. My original battery lasted 6 years and never had a trickle charger on it. Make sure you buy a quality battery. I installed a lithium battery in mine last year but I just installed a winch and going with a dual battery setup. I have heard good reports on the Mighty Max battery.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fact you tried to treat the battery well, has nothing to do with it. It was likely damaged before you got your hands on it.
I wrote about this before. With Honda's supply chain issues, and painfully slow deliveries, I suspect their batteries are sitting on the shelf for far too long. Lead acid batteries, at normal temperatures, self discharge about 5% a month. To keep them healthy, and prevent plate sulfation, they need to be charged every 6 months in storage. I strongly suspect that Honda didn't do that. My '21 P1K-5 SE battery bit the dust at just over 1 year.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fact you tried to treat the battery well, has nothing to do with it. It was likely damaged before you got your hands on it.
I wrote about this before. With Honda's supply chain issues, and painfully slow deliveries, I suspect their batteries are sitting on the shelf for far too long. Lead acid batteries, at normal temperatures, self discharge about 5% a month. To keep them healthy, and prevent plate sulfation, they need to be charged every 6 months in storage. I strongly suspect that Honda didn't do that. My '21 P1K-5 SE battery bit the dust at just over 1 year.
100% agree. A "fresh" battery is always best.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!