P1000 Power steering light on and transmission in limp mode

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,

I have been having issues with my 2017 Honda Pioneer 5le. This is been going on for over a year and machine has been to dealership over four times. They have changed one of the ECU and speed control sensor and what else I am not sure. I have attached list of what is going on. Thank you for any insight.

Upload 2019 7 6 19 51 15

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I believe there is a programming update that cures an issue with the fan not always running as much as it should.

Having the heater may affect the flow and how well it cools. Perhaps you could bypass that when it's not needed.

The transmission issue is interesting. On my first p1k I'd have a very irregular problem with the tranny. At 100 miles The dealer reprogrammed it and It never happened again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mine just did similar thing. No shifting, powersteering lite on. I disconnected my aux battery, the charged the main battery. It's looking like it maybe a battery problem. I have ordered a battery load tester and I will test main battery. My 2 year old Odessy is DEAD!!!!!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had that same problem about a year ago. I checked for the loose ground wires that are common on these machines and sure enough, more than one were loose. I wiggled the terminals to scratch through the paint and tightened them up. No problems since. If your ground wire bolts are tight, maybe loosen or remove them and scratch the paint surrounding the hole and re-bolt them. These machines are very finicky when it comes to voltage and grounding. Good luck.

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe there is a programming update that cures an issue with the fan not always running as much as it should.

Having the heater may affect the flow and how well it cools. Perhaps you could bypass that when it's not needed.

The transmission issue is interesting. On my first p1k I'd have a very irregular problem with the tranny. At 100 miles The dealer reprogrammed it and It never happened again.

Cutoutdoors, I just got the programming update and went for a ride when then I got power steering light/transmission problem again, 11 miles. I didn't want to go further up canyon to see if I could get it to overheat, so not sure if that problem is fixed. I will tell the dealer about the heater idea, you might be on to something. I am hoping someone else has the same problem. When I first took it in for the fan not running dealer said I was only one. Took service tech. for a ride and when it happened he told me "It's not supposed to do that".

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine just did similar thing. No shifting, powersteering lite on. I disconnected my aux battery, the charged the main battery. It's looking like it maybe a battery problem. I have ordered a battery load tester and I will test main battery. My 2 year old Odessy is DEAD!!!!!
When machine was in last time dealer put in a new battery, this is the second one that dealer has put in. Dealer was thinking the that was the problem also. New battery, dealer said they test drove it 15 miles and I put 11 miles on it before it happened again. I started keeping it on a trickle charger last year just to make sure it was always fully charged. Thanks for the input, it's getting very frustrating.

Reactions: Plumber32
NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had that same problem about a year ago. I checked for the loose ground wires that are common on these machines and sure enough, more than one were loose. I wiggled the terminals to scratch through the paint and tightened them up. No problems since. If your ground wire bolts are tight, maybe loosen or remove them and scratch the paint surrounding the hole and re-bolt them. These machines are very finicky when it comes to voltage and grounding. Good luck.
0860silverado
Thank you I will pass this on to the dealer. How many are there? I will check myself when I get the machine back.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cutoutdoors, I just got the programming update and went for a ride when then I got power steering light/transmission problem again, 11 miles. I didn't want to go further up canyon to see if I could get it to overheat, so not sure if that problem is fixed. I will tell the dealer about the heater idea, you might be on to something. I am hoping someone else has the same problem. When I first took it in for the fan not running dealer said I was only one. Took service tech. for a ride and when it happened he told me "It's not supposed to do that".
Well we know the radiators on these things are borderline big enough. And there were some fan issues that weren't publicised so I'm glad you got that fixed.

Having the heater unit could technically help by giving more opportunity to cool however if its hindering the flow on a real hot day it would obviously make it worse.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
0860silverado
Thank you I will pass this on to the dealer. How many are there? I will check myself when I get the machine back.
I believe there are 3 ground points to check, plus the battery. I saw a diagram with the points to check but I can't find it now. Maybe someone can chime in with an illustration...

H

HondaTech

I read an article in this forum about a member that has a heater mounted under the seat ,next to the engine computer,after extended rides the computer overheated and caused all sorts of problems.Is your heater under the drivers seat?

I've done several Honda heaters under the seat and never had any issues related to heat.

Sounds like the machine has electrical issues dealing with grounds loose or the ongoing battery issue.

I would assume they checked the charging system when the battery was replaced.

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes the heater is under the driver seat. Dealership got with Honda tech support and between the two, thought that the main brain box (controller) was overheating and causing the problem. New main controller ordered. Told my Honda case manager about grounding issues, will check myself when I get machine back. Thanks again to 0860silverado for the diagram print out of ground points.

Reactions: 0860silverado
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes the heater is under the driver seat. Dealership got with Honda tech support and between the two, thought that the main brain box (controller) was overheating and causing the problem. New main controller ordered. Told my Honda case manager about grounding issues, will check myself when I get machine back. Thanks again to 0860silverado for the diagram print out of ground points.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had my first time with 3 heat bars. Was carrying about 2,000 lbs of crystals in 97 degree heat. Luckily I had installed over-ride power to radiator fan. Turned it on and down to 2 bars, like normal. I know it was overloaded, so drove slow and easy. Probably why she got hot. Will make 2 trips next time. Rear tires were looking like a sway back mule. As for weird shifting and wrong indications mine all went away when I tightened ground wires 2 years ago. Worth the time (30 minutes) to fix a real headache.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had my first time with 3 heat bars. Was carrying about 2,000 lbs of crystals in 97 degree heat. Luckily I had installed over-ride power to radiator fan. Turned it on and down to 2 bars, like normal. I know it was overloaded, so drove slow and easy. Probably why she got hot. Will make 2 trips next time. Rear tires were looking like a sway back mule. As for weird shifting and wrong indications mine all went away when I tightened ground wires 2 years ago. Worth the time (30 minutes) to fix a real headache.
Wow!!! 2,000 lbs of crystal? What's the street value on that?

MMW

MMW

Sep 5, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Read this thread: P1000 - Speed Sensor trouble, will not shift
With the experience I went through, I think the answer to your problem may be the same as it was for mine.
Thanks MMW

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys, powersteering light comes on. Will not start. Let sit a while then will start. Also havent gotten steering knuckle recall or fuel pump recall done yet. Any suggestions?

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys, powersteering light comes on. Will not start. Let sit a while then will start. Also havent gotten steering knuckle recall or fuel pump recall done yet. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you’re ECM/PCM is over heating and tripping under driver seat
I replaced mine and put insulation between the firewall the PCM that straps to the plastic firewall engine compartment
Haven’t had problems since

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!