P1000 Power steering light on and transmission in limp mode

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where dis you order it? Any part numbers? Trying to avoid dealership.

Reactions: Smitty335
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR BATTERY

H

HondaTech

Sounds like you’re ECM/PCM is over heating and tripping under driver seat
I replaced mine and put insulation between the firewall the PCM that straps to the plastic firewall engine compartment
Haven’t had problems since

Power Steering control unit is separate from the PCM. The one under the seat is engine only, the Power Steering module is under the hood.

B

Bmanuel91

Feb 11, 2021
Humble
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you’re ECM/PCM is over heating and tripping under driver seat
I replaced mine and put insulation between the firewall the PCM that straps to the plastic firewall engine compartment
Haven’t had problems since
What was the issue you were having im having an issue were mine it seems were ecm heats up i cant shift but I cool down the ecm and it starts shifting like nothing is wrong
I also put insulation between walls still doing same thing

Reactions: ChadD
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome to @Bmanuel91
2nd post and no pics, what's up with that? haha!
Starting your own thread and post year, make, and model will make it easier for us to help you.
Have been reading more about the shift control motor as a heat problem then the ECU......unless you have a heater under the driver seat.
Have a good day

Reactions: ChadD and TripleB
B

Bmanuel91

Feb 11, 2021
Humble
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy and welcome to @Bmanuel91
2nd post and no pics, what's up with that? haha!
Starting your own thread and post year, make, and model will make it easier for us to help you.
Have been reading more about the shift control motor as a heat problem then the ECU......unless you have a heater under the driver seat.
Have a good day
Well mine is a 2020 pk 1000 and I dont have a heater.
I do notice ECU gets a little warm and for sure is not shift motor tried another shift motor already.
Once it starts not to shift I spray a little bit of cool water it starts shifting with no problem
How can I create my own thread im new to this thank you for help

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What was the issue you were having im having an issue were mine it seems were ecm heats up i cant shift but I cool down the ecm and it starts shifting like nothing is wrong
I also put insulation between walls still doing same thing
Hi
I was having the same problems
What I believe happens is when the ECM overheats and trips to protect itself it resets when it cools down .
Each time it has to reset it gets weaker and weaker and trips more often
Once I bought a new ECM and put insulation between the plastic firewall i have not had the issues

B

Bmanuel91

Feb 11, 2021
Humble
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi
I was having the same problems
What I believe happens is when the ECM overheats and trips to protect itself it resets when it cools down .
Each time it has to reset it gets weaker and weaker and trips more often
Once I bought a new ECM and put insulation between the plastic firewall i have not had the issues
Ok yes mine is doing same thing did you ever find the root of problem?
Did honda diagnose that problem?
Is only when riding at low speeds or when I do stops and go
I tried different thing to try to keep it cool I put insulation as well it help a little and I put a fan under seat to keep air moving it helped as well.
I was 80% sure it was my ecm but everyone I know has not had that problem so is like I really don't want to spend the money and not being the problem

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi
I drive at low speed all day long and gets very hot did your under seat fan help the heat under the seat or was it a waste of money?
I found my information how to fix it from one of the posts on this form. They said they took unit to the dealership on and off for several months several trips of headaches and found it to be the problem
I took mine to the Honda dealership several times and they pulled codes for a speed sensor and replaced them that didn’t fix it
Then they replaced my fuel injectors wire harness. Didn’t fix it!
So my one year warranty was up and my extended warranty only covered 1hr of diagnostics so they said they would keep it charged me a serious amount of money per hr for their mechanic to diagnose it again which was going to cost me a lot of money so I went on this form and change the ECM for around $230 and my problems went away I’m very happy that people post stuff on this form because it saved me a lot of money
I think the ECM stores the trouble codes for problems but must not have a trouble code for its own failure
I’m not a tech just Honda owner

B

Bmanuel91

Feb 11, 2021
Humble
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi
I drive at low speed all day long and gets very hot did your under seat fan help the heat under the seat or was it a waste of money?
I found my information how to fix it from one of the posts on this form. They said they took unit to the dealership on and off for several months several trips of headaches and found it to be the problem
I took mine to the Honda dealership several times and they pulled codes for a speed sensor and replaced them that didn’t fix it
Then they replaced my fuel injectors wire harness. Didn’t fix it!
So my one year warranty was up and my extended warranty only covered 1hr of diagnostics so they said they would keep it charged me a serious amount of money per hr for their mechanic to diagnose it again which was going to cost me a lot of money so I went on this form and change the ECM for around $230 and my problems went away I’m very happy that people post stuff on this form because it saved me a lot of money
I think the ECM stores the trouble codes for problems but must not have a trouble code for its own failure
I’m not a tech just Honda owner
Honestly on the fan not sure yet since im really trying to figure out the problem with ecm and I kinda install the fan to try to see if it would help with the ecm over heating it help a tap bit took longer to start trippin
I came withbthe conclusion my ECM is bad as well from what your saying im hoping it is really sucks im trying to ride but just thinking it trips makes me think twice before going riding 😣
How long you had your pioneer for have you had otyer issues?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!