P1000 Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So the whole overheating thing seems to be a hot topic with the Pioneer 1000 models.
I put together a quick guide based on what I have seen. (ignoring what may be flakey).

Is something broken?
Let’s face it when a P1k overheats everyone jumps to conclusions about the items below. If there is something out of order your SxS will overheat. The fan is controlled by a black box under the driver's seat. The computer controls this box based on several unknown things.
  • Is the box plugged in correctly? Several have reported it was not at assembly.
  • If you extended the vent line on the radiator fan it could cause the motor to overheat and stop working.
  • If you used a bellows to vent the fan all sorts of bad things could have happened as other users have mentioned the cause pressure to build up and push out seals.
  • Coincidentally, if you didn’t vent the radiator fan you could have mud in fan motor or a blocked breather tube (did you read the manual? Don’t drive in water over 10" deep).
Symptoms: it’s likely the fan will come on but the temperature will continue to rise.
  • Something blocking the radiator, Usually mud.
  • When cleaning shine a light from the back side, looking from the front you can see if the passages are clean. The fins can look clean but mud could still be blocking between them.
  • Do you have a large bumper? (compensating for something?) This might restrict airflow!
  • Aftermarket lights, winches, and other objects could also block the airflow.
Symptoms: temperature will continue to rise only under high load conditions. Insufficient cooling capacity
  • Some people are saying the cooling system is undersized.
  • As the temperature rises to 3 bars or more, slow down or stop, leaving the engine running, this will allow the cooling system to catch up.
  • High altitude, like above 6,000 feet or more.
  • Long continuous pull – EX. uphill on a forest service road in Utah.
Link referencing insufficient capacity: Overheating issues.

Symptoms: the temperature will continue to rise and the fan doesn’t come on, nothing will make the fan come on until the computer is reset.
  • Computer glitch
  • Some dealers are saying there is a computer glitch that controls the fan.
  • Turn the key all the way off, then turn it back on.
  • Basically, you are resetting the computer.
Link for computer glitch: P1000 - Engine cooling fan problem

Other symptoms:
  • The fan may cycle on and off or if the temperature sensor is in the air pocket the gauge will not register hot and the fan will not cycle but the overflow bottle will be boiling furiously.
  • The temperature will continue to rise even with the fan on.
  • Sometimes it will seem just fine, only acting up under high load conditions.
Air trapped in the system
  • For some reason, there seems to be a lot of units with air trapped in the system from the factory, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.
  • If you have an air pocket the cooling system will have reduced efficacy as the boiling point is lower.
  • The air pocket will allow the coolant to expand and act like the pressure system is not working.
  • Sometimes it boils over a few moments after you come to a stop.
Burping
  • There are several threads discussing how to ‘burp’ the system.
  • Most methods involve raising the front end up, be careful you don’t drop the vehicle on yourself.
  • Some methods have you running the engine while the front end is lifted, don’t lift the nose and uncover the oil pickup – watch the oil light for any signs of trouble.
  • For the ‘burp' method to work the thermostat must open to allow coolant to circulate and the air bubble to be expelled.
  • It’s probably better to start with a hot system, it takes less time for the thermostat to open.
  • You can feel the lower hose to see when the thermostat opens, the hose will get hot when the thermostat is opened.
Link for burping procedure: Overheating issues.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
F5995339 C0D0 4CEC B3BD 5FBD8713225B C13B16BF BC69 4F95 B432 226B54FD12C3
Are you talking about fan cooling unit as shown in the illustrationo_O

Last edited:
J

jrod777

Mar 10, 2016
Springdale, AR
We have seen a few people with this issue. Honda is recommending to turn the car off and let set for at least 30 seconds, then turn back on and start immediately. Please run in thermometer meter mode and do this sequence any time that the 3rd dash comes on then repeat this sequence. Honda is working on an actual solution.

Reactions: BWAF and Tramguage1
Hazard

Hazard

Jul 6, 2018
Paragould Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had this issue and it is a great post. Actually had significant overheating with less than 200 miles on the machine. I thought it could be from my EMP bumper, however the conclusion has been that I needed to burp the machine. We burped it 3 times without significant improvement in the overheating. Then I found another method of burping, tri s this and have not had any difficulty with overheating since. I am considering adding another fan if needed or fan override, but I’m doing great on the heat issues at this time. Well, after following this method of burping the machine. This method made sure the cap was closed and that is one step we did not follow with the other attempts and the reason I feel it helped.

I’m not sure how to provide a link to the thread , if anyone else can do that?
Upload 2018 10 10 10 19 53

So the whole overheating thing seems to be a hot topic with the Pioneer 1000 models.
I put together a quick guide based on what I have seen. (ignoring what may be flakey).

Is something broken?
Let’s face it when a P1k overheats everyone jumps to conclusions about the items below. If there is something out of order your SxS will overheat. The fan is controlled by a black box under the driver's seat. The computer controls this box based on several unknown things.
  • Is the box plugged in correctly? Several have reported it was not at assembly.
  • If you extended the vent line on the radiator fan it could cause the motor to overheat and stop working.
  • If you used a bellows to vent the fan all sorts of bad things could have happened as other users have mentioned the cause pressure to build up and push out seals.
  • Coincidentally, if you didn’t vent the radiator fan you could have mud in fan motor or a blocked breather tube (did you read the manual? Don’t drive in water over 10" deep).
Symptoms: it’s likely the fan will come on but the temperature will continue to rise.
  • Something blocking the radiator, Usually mud.
  • When cleaning shine a light from the back side, looking from the front you can see if the passages are clean. The fins can look clean but mud could still be blocking between them.
  • Do you have a large bumper? (compensating for something?) This might restrict airflow!
  • Aftermarket lights, winches, and other objects could also block the airflow.
Symptoms: temperature will continue to rise only under high load conditions. Insufficient cooling capacity
  • Some people are saying the cooling system is undersized.
  • As the temperature rises to 3 bars or more, slow down or stop, leaving the engine running, this will allow the cooling system to catch up.
  • High altitude, like above 6,000 feet or more.
  • Long continuous pull – EX. uphill on a forest service road in Utah.
Link referencing insufficient capacity: Overheating issues.

Symptoms: the temperature will continue to rise and the fan doesn’t come on, nothing will make the fan come on until the computer is reset.
  • Computer glitch
  • Some dealers are saying there is a computer glitch that controls the fan.
  • Turn the key all the way off, then turn it back on.
  • Basically, you are resetting the computer.
Link for computer glitch: P1000 - Engine cooling fan problem

Other symptoms:
  • The fan may cycle on and off or if the temperature sensor is in the air pocket the gauge will not register hot and the fan will not cycle but the overflow bottle will be boiling furiously.
  • The temperature will continue to rise even with the fan on.
  • Sometimes it will seem just fine, only acting up under high load conditions.
Air trapped in the system
  • For some reason, there seems to be a lot of units with air trapped in the system from the factory, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.
  • If you have an air pocket the cooling system will have reduced efficacy as the boiling point is lower.
  • The air pocket will allow the coolant to expand and act like the pressure system is not working.
  • Sometimes it boils over a few moments after you come to a stop.
Burping
  • There are several threads discussing how to ‘burp’ the system.
  • Most methods involve raising the front end up, be careful you don’t drop the vehicle on yourself.
  • Some methods have you running the engine while the front end is lifted, don’t lift the nose and uncover the oil pickup – watch the oil light for any signs of trouble.
  • For the ‘burp' method to work the thermostat must open to allow coolant to circulate and the air bubble to be expelled.
  • It’s probably better to start with a hot system, it takes less time for the thermostat to open.
  • You can feel the lower hose to see when the thermostat opens, the hose will get hot when the thermostat is opened.
Link for burping procedure: Overheating issues.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had this issue and it is a great post. Actually had significant overheating with less than 200 miles on the machine. I thought it could be from my EMP bumper, however the conclusion has been that I needed to burp the machine. We burped it 3 times without significant improvement in the overheating. Then I found another method of burping, tri s this and have not had any difficulty with overheating since. I am considering adding another fan if needed or fan override, but I’m doing great on the heat issues at this time. Well, after following this method of burping the machine. This method made sure the cap was closed and that is one step we did not follow with the other attempts and the reason I feel it helped.

I’m not sure how to provide a link to the thread , if anyone else can do that?
View attachment 89890
Give me a minute to find the post and I will link it for you.

This should link to his post?
Overheating

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, have been reading a lot about this overheating issue and I have this same exact problem, it is a serious issue that definitely need to be addressed by Honda, I have a 2017 Pioneer 1000 eps and I Love the machine everything except this one very bad overheating because the cooling fan will not come on issue, The first time it happen to me it overheated after we ran it for two days on trails in Kentucky ran beautiful no problems, Then out of the blue it just overheated, well then i did my investigating and studying the problem I even drained the radiator and put new coolant in because i had to ad a couple bottles of drinking water on the trail when it overheated and yes I did bleed the system per the manual at the bleeding screw but that is not the problem with mine and many others I am seeing it is the fact that for some reason all of a sudden the cooling fan will not come on. so I put a double pole double throw switch in circuit just before fan control module and now I can manually over ride control module and turn on fan, but now I have to watch temp gauge all the time normally runs two bars all the time when it hits three bars the fan is not coming on and I manually over ride and temp goes down as it should, turn key off and back on and it will work ok then, just got back from Harlan Ky. and it did same thing ran beautiful for two and a half days then it went to three bars and the fan was not working manually over ride the control mod. and temp come down right away but i should not have to watch the temp gauge all the time to keep the thing from over heating. I realize and know that I could modify the cooling system with a thermostat and over ride the control mod. but this is a serious issue that need to be resolved by Honda So Who do we complain to at Honda to Get some answers on this definite Problem that in some ways it is very consistent among many machines but yet there is no rhyme or reason when it does it, Thank You all for listening and any input or anything You can do to get this problem out to Honda would be appreciated, Thank You,,,,

90943 4e8c412b51ba70cb1e8c3ac892f2763c

J

JTW

Hello, have been reading a lot about this overheating issue and I have this same exact problem, it is a serious issue that definitely need to be addressed by Honda, I have a 2017 Pioneer 1000 eps and I Love the machine everything except this one very bad overheating because the cooling fan will not come on issue, The first time it happen to me it overheated after we ran it for two days on trails in Kentucky ran beautiful no problems, Then out of the blue it just overheated, well then i did my investigating and studying the problem I even drained the radiator and put new coolant in because i had to ad a couple bottles of drinking water on the trail when it overheated and yes I did bleed the system per the manual at the bleeding screw but that is not the problem with mine and many others I am seeing it is the fact that for some reason all of a sudden the cooling fan will not come on. so I put a double pole double throw switch in circuit just before fan control module and now I can manually over ride control module and turn on fan, but now I have to watch temp gauge all the time normally runs two bars all the time when it hits three bars the fan is not coming on and I manually over ride and temp goes down as it should, turn key off and back on and it will work ok then, just got back from Harlan Ky. and it did same thing ran beautiful for two and a half days then it went to three bars and the fan was not working manually over ride the control mod. and temp come down right away but i should not have to watch the temp gauge all the time to keep the thing from over heating. I realize and know that I could modify the cooling system with a thermostat and over ride the control mod. but this is a serious issue that need to be resolved by Honda So Who do we complain to at Honda to Get some answers on this definite Problem that in some ways it is very consistent among many machines but yet there is no rhyme or reason when it does it, Thank You all for listening and any input or anything You can do to get this problem out to Honda would be appreciated, Thank You,,,,

View attachment 92180
Honda is aware and working on it..

Reactions: Tim Barnes and BWAF
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, Has anyone put a inline temp. sensor adapter in the upper radiator hose and if so what is ID of hose or what size and brand of adapter did You Use, still waiting on Honda to fix this fan control module or computer fan glitch problem that causes the cooling fan to not work????? Thanks For any info.

Reactions: Tim Barnes
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
also has anyone put a trail tech striker digital gauge on Honda pioneer 1000 if so what temp. sensor and location did you use and also what speed sensor and location, digital gauge needs 12V no problem, it needs engine temp?? and speed sensor?? not sure what route i want to take on that,,, Thanks Again,,,

Reactions: Tim Barnes
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 92180
Have the same problem ! Took it in to the honda shop, they told me that the computer had the wrong temperature setting in it, SO is that BS or what.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
So did it again boiled over, turn it off and started it back up the fan ran and cooled down. So how long and how many times before the engine blow up or score up a piston or f@#ks it up and then what??? This is the second machine that I have got the first one 2016 PK1000 5D did not have these problems. WHATS UP HONDA

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
New Machine 700 miles and its over heated 2 times so far, and then took it to the shop and they said the computer had a wrong temperature setting, That BS. Now the second time and have a shop apt. on the 15 and see what they say this time? the question is how many time til something takes it out?

I am going to call BS some one at honda needs a fix for this.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What criteria has to be in place or would this fall under Lemon Law?????

Reactions: perry
H

HondaTech

What criteria has to be in place or would this fall under Lemon Law?????

Most lemons laws involve the machine being out of commission for more than a 30 day period straight. Or if the shop has failed to repair the same issue after 3 times.

Each state varies.

Like has been shown, Honda is aware of this issue and is most likely working on a fix. But its hard to track down an issue that's not always present and doesn't seem to affect every unit.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most lemons laws involve the machine being out of commission for more than a 30 day period straight. Or if the shop has failed to repair the same issue after 3 times.

Each state varies.

Like has been shown, Honda is aware of this issue and is most likely working on a fix. But its hard to track down an issue that's not always present and doesn't seem to affect every unit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!