Overheating issues.

03csmith2575

Apr 10, 2018
Bloomfield, New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My temp dash light came on already. 49 miles. No mud riding at all. Just 5 mph slow riding on the road. For 30 mins or so.

We accelerated to force air through the front. Light went off within 30 secs after we sped up.

Don't know if that helps.
I have the same problem, new machine fan come on but when its overheating fan was not on. Have to turn unit off then restart fan then comes on and light goes out after 30 seconds of running.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same problem, new machine fan come on but when its overheating fan was not on. Have to turn unit off then restart fan then comes on and light goes out after 30 seconds of running.
Just had this happen today. Honestly a little embarrassing, riding with a crew today and everyone was impressed with her... until this happened. This was a hot, slow ride so I know that didn’t help but damn!? I noticed the fan wasn’t on when I stopped after the light came on. Is there a fix for this!? Please help I don’t want the dealer touching my Magic School Bus anymore! She has 110 miles. Going to do a full service this week. Really look into the fan. Maybe hook it to a switch also for manual control? Does putting fans down around the motor help? That’s this winters project. Still hot in the 2018’s.....

At least we had good scenery while we waited for her to cool down.

9B57B6E7 BB81 4BFA 924F 7CEB1092AD70 A3C49360 BBD8 4C45 A8A6 C0E3E3354192 39176AC6 B00E 45CC 9B08 6EA11C3DB010

Reactions: Eltobgi
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just had this happen today. Honestly a little embarrassing, riding with a crew today and everyone was impressed with her... until this happened. This was a hot, slow ride so I know that didn’t help but damn!? I noticed the fan wasn’t on when I stopped after the light came on. Is there a fix for this!? Please help I don’t want the dealer touching my Magic School Bus anymore! She has 110 miles. Going to do a full service this week. Really look into the fan. Maybe hook it to a switch also for manual control? Does putting fans down around the motor help? That’s this winters project. Still hot in the 2018’s.....

At least we had good scenery while we waited for her to cool down.

View attachment 81107 View attachment 81108 View attachment 81109

I’m another satisfied customer again.. burped the system which wasn’t a lot of bubbles but a few. I’m thinking when I boiled over we were on a severe incline, maybe it burped there? Anyways. Took her camping this week and tried to purposely overheat her. No luck, didn’t budge off of two bars. Fan was working like mad. Cab heat was almost unbearable(motor plus 95 degree weather). Climbing uphill slow, rough and in low. 4x4 in places. Everything just worked like the Honda’s I know of. Also before this trip I did the 100mile service. Replaced diffs with 75w-140 purple and the motor, DCT, and sub-trans to 10w-40. I didn’t hear the Pioneer clatter once, at all! Everything ran tighter and smoother. We rode her hard, mostly dusty dry.. she ate it up.

Side note: I was trying to take a picture of the wife without her knowing.. she wasn’t having it lol.

FA850647 EC8F 432D A195 C0ECC574B316 23C510A3 6146 46E2 B4B6 59876C3A0E95 A554C319 A450 4F8E A7F9 86759533C304 9C3C7BBE 9CC9 4049 8F9C 9241B235D090 858969A1 AAA4 4DAC 985E E035C2BF8E25 AB9E911A 6729 49A7 8398 6A3165B6BE9B C4D3B963 D381 4646 8B39 D93C53E39EB4

S

stokesdd

Apr 15, 2018
utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any of you guys have issues with overheating?

Everyone with P1Ks in my group has this issue.

Where we ride there's a lot of thick mud, which I know is the issue. But even after cleaning the radiator out with purple power and coil cleaner we continue to have this issue. Looking at fabing up a relo kit for it, but just curious if anyone else is having this issue or if any of you have any suggestions on what to check or replace.

Going to check for air in the system this week, maybe the original overheat cause and air pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have purchased my new Pioneer 1000-5, took a ride with 4 adults up the canyon here in Utah and it overheated continuously. I geared down thinking that it would keep it cool but it continued to overheat. I think that the cooling system is undersized. If I take it out with two adults at 200 lbs each, it remains at two bars and runs fine. I think the Honda engineers need to revisit the cooling system and add additional capacity to the Pioneer 1000. I love the machine but am disappointed with this. Side note, the machine has less than 100 miles on it and is squeaky clean. The fan also turns on as it should, it just can not keep up with the heat load. This is my take on the problem.

Reactions: Delton
J

JTW

I have purchased my new Pioneer 1000-5, took a ride with 4 adults up the canyon here in Utah and it overheated continuously. I geared down thinking that it would keep it cool but it continued to overheat. I think that the cooling system is undersized. If I take it out with two adults at 200 lbs each, it remains at two bars and runs fine. I think the Honda engineers need to revisit the cooling system and add additional capacity to the Pioneer 1000. I love the machine but am disappointed with this. Side note, the machine has less than 100 miles on it and is squeaky clean. The fan also turns on as it should, it just can not keep up with the heat load. This is my take on the problem.
Any bumpers or other aftermarket parts? Have you burped the machine yet?

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3

the cooling system has air trapped in it if you in line the front end and let it run the air comes out and top off the coolant and should fix the issue

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

the cooling system has air trapped in it if you in line the front end and let it run the air comes out and top off the coolant and should fix the issue
We fought the guy’s machine who was with us in Utah all week and it was a new machine. We burped it a half dozen times or more.

Reactions: knuckledeep
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We fought the guy’s machine who was with us in Utah all week and it was a new machine. We burped it a half dozen times or more.
Yes, But we kept depressurizing the system, Combine this with the water we used vs antifreeze and the boiling point is very low at high altitude. Finally, he did it again at camp leaving the cap on and it worked.

How to burp correctly.
Recommend burping while the machine is warm/hot leaving the cap on. Get the front end up as high as you can. He was at a 45 deg angle or better. Let it run to pump the air out. Lower it, let it cool down to a point of touch and fill it up. DO NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR HOT. Not because it will burn you, but because the system will erupt and render your work pointless as you now created more air bubbles in the system. Keep eye on overflow bottle making sure it is at good levels or above.

We ran the next day and Sunday at Moab with no issues.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Yes, But we kept depressurizing the system, Combine this with the water we used vs antifreeze and the boiling point is very low at high altitude. Finally, he did it again at camp leaving the cap on and it worked.

Recommend burping while the machine is warm/hot leaving the cap on. Get the front end up as high as you can. He was at a 45 deg angle or better. Let it run to pump the air out. Lower it, let it cool down to a point of touch and fill up. DO NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR HOT. Keep eye on overflow bottle.

We ran the next day and Sunday at Moab with no issues.
We also did it with the cap on at camp when we went back... and bled it from the bleeder valve under the seat. We followed the service manual instructions and still no dice. The only thing we didn’t do is elevate it at camp. I don’t disagree about the antifreeze and boiling point but realistically it should have burped without the cap on or at least when the bleeder was used. This is how the service manual says to do it... clearly it didn’t work well so try different methods.
5E77D9B4 3C6B 4F3A B066 ED3E4B40B5DE
C6E9773C CB0D 44CA AAC4 AC8CD2893ED8

Anyway... my point is it doesn’t bleed like a normal cooling system. They’re quirky and may take several attempts

Last edited by a moderator:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the op said he cleans the rad with PP, that stuff likes to eat plastic and paint, i clean mine after every muddy ride with simple grean. works good on clay to get the max rad performance you can but doesnt eat paint or plastic. the bottle has a foaming tip i let it set in there a few minutes and rinse it with a hose.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Undersized could very well be the problem. Cooling system for a sxs should be bulletproof. We take these things miles out into middle of nowhere.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Undersized could very well be the problem. Cooling system for a sxs should be bulletproof. We take these things miles out into middle of nowhere.

At altitude the air is thinner, meaning it can transfer less heat, I don’t remember the math and I’m not digging through the attic to find the text book that has the formula in it since I don’t have flow rates and a lot of the other variables I would need to answer that correctly.

I do know at 2-4k feet, I have carried that amount of weight or more and it never go over 2bars climbing long hills at a steady 20-30 mph, that did not cause a 700 to overheat either.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At altitude the air is thinner, meaning it can transfer less heat, I don’t remember the math and I’m not digging through the attic to find the text book that has the formula in it since I don’t have flow rates and a lot of the other variables I would need to answer that correctly.

I do know at 2-4k I have carried that amount of weight or more and it never go over 2bars climbing long hills at a steady 20-30 mph, that did not cause a 700 to overheat either.
Mine has only overheated twice. Towing dead popo up steep loose rock with temps in high 80s and when my fan died. But I don't carry passengers in back either

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I want to add my part and confirm this. My machine as been fine for... Well since I got it fall 2016. But a recent trip to Utah I was climbing a long uphill service road and it overheated. I stopped, left it running and it cooled down. Then I continued. It happened twice in similar situations that weekend. High altitude and a long uphill climb I believe the contributing factors. Once past these points, I didn't experience any issues at all and my coolant is full. I just think it couldn't keep up.

J

JTW

I want to add my part and confirm this. My machine as been fine for... Well since I got it fall 2016. But a recent trip to Utah I was climbing a long uphill service road and it overheated. I stopped, left it running and it cooled down. Then I continued. It happened twice in similar situations that weekend. High altitude and a long uphill climb I believe the contributing factors. Once past these points, I didn't experience any issues at all and my coolant is full. I just think it couldn't keep up.
Mine only got to 3 bars once and the fan kicked in and it didn’t do it again. And that was with 30’s on the same hills... the difference between machines is what gets me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!