P1000 Honda Accessory Fuse Block Issues

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The other day My wiper stopped working, so today I thought I would tidy things up under the hood and figure out why the wiper doesn't work. I checked the fuses to see if they are good. Fuses where good but looked oxidized. The fuse bay was full of water?? so I blew it out, sprayed it with contact cleaner, cleaned the fuses and put them back in. Checked for key on power, that was good but the connector was full of water?? A bit more checking and I found my under seat fan doesn't work, The voltmeter in the dash shows 6 volts and goes out when I turn on the light bar. When I pulled out the connector for the fan and the light they are wet and corroded Pulled out all the connectors and they are all the same
IMG 8886IMG 8887IMG 8889

I blew everything out with compressed air, cleaned things up with scotch brite and a welding tip cleaner, sprayed contact cleaner on everything blew it off again applied dielectric grease and put it back together. still the same problem, I have 12v going to the fuse block 12v key on power, good ground, but the output of every connector is 6v
Where would you look next?

Reactions: Lady01 and NewHere2
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well that's sucks.
I thought for sure this would been an upgrade to a more sealed and waterproof fuse box.

Pull it out and take it apart.
There is a circuit board and 3 relays inside.
It's easy to take apart and nothing really to mess up or be scared of.

Link - Breakdown of the NEW 2022 Accessory Fuse Box kit. 0SS25-HL4-A00

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01 and NewHere2
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs You were absolutely correct Seems Honda forgot the drain hole

Where did all the water come from? It does sit outside most of the time, I think its only been washed once, Its never been off road

IMG 8890

Now that its all cleaned up, how do you recommend cleaning/drying the relays?

IMG 8892

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Hondasxs You were absolutely correct Seems Honda forgot the drain hole

Where did all the water come from? It does sit outside most of the time, I think its only been washed once, Its never been off road

View attachment 383907

Now that its all cleaned up, how do you recommend cleaning/drying the relays?

View attachment 383908
Can you put the relays in a bag of rice? Old water logged phone trick?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot about that trick
I put it in the toaster oven at 100 F for 10 min then turned it off and left it in there
That's still probably better than dry rice, which, according to studies is not as effective as a proper desiccant such as silica-gel.

"Often unconsidered, silica gel desiccant is a more effective drying agent than are many of the more frequently recommended solutions – such as uncooked rice – for saving wet cellphones, storing books and spices, and many other household uses."

The problem with water, unless it's distilled and with no impurities, it conducts electricity and galvanic corrosion. This is why, when an electrical device is dropped in water, first thing is to remove the battery if that's possible, and/or get the covers off and and get it dried out. Put on open oven door with oven on low, bag it with desiccant etc.

If galvanic corrosion has occurred, then cleaning it all out, as @NorthernJoe is doing is the only way forward.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if water/rain could be collecting and running in under the hood where the dash meets. That's split is right over the fuse box location.
You are probably right, the connectors on the front part of the fuse block had more corrosion than the ones on the rear of the fuse block. When I reassemble it, I'll put a drain hole in the bottom of the fuse block and the mounting bracket.I'll also put a rubber membrane from the cowling in front of the windshield out over the fuse block

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh man.. that's a mess for sure.
sorry to see this.
Another reason I cant recomend this fuse box.
SSV Works usually makes good stuff but this continues to disappoint more and more it seems.

It's a great design, just too many shortcuts taken to save a dime.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

Oh man.. that's a mess for sure.
sorry to see this.
Another reason I cant recomend this fuse box.
SSV Works usually makes good stuff but this continues to disappoint more and more it seems.

It's a great design, just too many shortcuts taken to save a dime.

And Honda will still blame it on the customer when I try and get it replaced.

If your going to build s*** for off road vehicles, it needs to be somewhat sealed.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The top and bottom of the fuse block are well sealed, so much so that the water that gets in can't get out. The connectors have a seal that seals the gap between the fuse block and the connector. The wires are completely unsealed in the connector and the fuses are wide open. Now that I know this I can take measures to protect the assembly from water. The person who designed this may have a degree, but has zero practical experience. I would expect this $hit from CF Moto not Honda

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What you mean... "the wires are unsealed"?
You saying they didn't even install rubber seals on the wire going into the connector?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you mean... "the wires are unsealed"?
You saying they didn't even install rubber seals on the wire going into the connector?

it appears that way, I'll have a closer look in the morning

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stand corrected they do have rubber seals around each wire. It's a black seal in a black connector so it doesn't jump out at you, but on closer inspection they are there. the bottom of the cap that covers the fuses also has a seal. So how did the water get there? its been there for a while based on the copper/green colour of the water. I'll drill drain holes and assemble with lots of dielectric grease

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK I'm looking for confirmation here, the positive input (where I have the red marker) is totally corroded and is now an island unto itself. Am I correct to say I need to bridge from the one red dash to the other red dash?

IMG 8894

Because of the way the board mounts into the case I can't repair the board on the top side. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the board and adding an eyelet on the back side and cutting down the crimp barrel and bending it and put it through the hole to bridge the gap Am I on the right track?
IMG 8897IMG 8896

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK I'm looking for confirmation here, the positive input (where I have the red marker) is totally corroded and is now an island unto itself. Am I correct to say I need to bridge from the one red dash to the other red dash?

View attachment 383992

Because of the way the board mounts into the case I can't repair the board on the top side. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the board and adding an eyelet on the back side and cutting down the crimp barrel and bending it and put it through the hole to bridge the gap Am I on the right track?
View attachment 383995View attachment 383996
Solderwick works good for this type of thing. It's a piece of flat braided copper wire that is used to wick solder away from a soldered joint but works well as a "jumper" on circuit board. You could just solder it where you have the two red lines.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Solderwick works good for this type of thing. It's a piece of flat braided copper wire that is used to wick solder away from a soldered joint but works well as a "jumper" on circuit board. You could just solder it where you have the two red lines.
I've used solder wick many time for that purpose. The problem is the way the board mounts into the housing, I can't add thickness
on the topside of the board The confirmation I was looking for is, is bridging across the two red dashes the correct repair
IMG 8898

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!