P1000 Overheating

S

Sabel

Dec 11, 2017
Sheridan, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So our 2017 Pioneer 1000 has overheated three times now and been to the dealer twice for the problem. Dealer can not find anything wrong, but suggests that anytime I run below 20 mph to only use low range gears. I can't see how this will prevent the overheating. Any comments or suggestions here?
Another questions. When you pull over to cool off, is it better to leave the engine running of turn it off?

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
Sounds like your dealer doesn’t know what they’re doing. Low gear isn’t going to help things if your cooling system isn’t working right. And there’s no reason you should overheat in high range like that.

If things are working right, and your cooling fan is running, you’re best leaving the engine running at idle to cool down. That allows the coolant to continue circulating while the radiator rejects heat.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While Honda has a ton of shortcomings on their flagship model, the engine cooling system isn't one of them. A properly functioning P1K cooling system will not overheat under any circumstance. It is common for a cooling system to have been improperly filled, leaving air pockets that the water pump will cavitate on, halting coolant circulation.
My suggestions are:
1: "burp" your cooling system using either the purge screw under the engine cover or go all out redneck and hoist it up into a tree and let the bubbles bubble up.
2: Find another service department.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I use low range below 10 mph. In high range below around 6 mph you are in the clutch slipping mode and that will heat up the engine. Most all of the overheating problems are air in the system.

Reactions: 05Willys and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have air in the system or the thermostat or fan is not working correctly high and low has nothing to do with it overheating.

Thats not entirely accurate Clutch is oil cooled and the oil’s somewhat water cooled.
If you slip n slip n slip n slip n slip that clutch long enough it will much later overheat the engine but you just about have to be determined to do it. It’s not something you can do by accident but I can be done with some determination.

S

Sabel

Dec 11, 2017
Sheridan, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I explained all of this to the dealer. While it is overheating the fan is not on. The fan seems to engage at odd times but not while it's overheating.
Dealer says the fan tested out ok. Im thinking about having the dealer install a fan over-ride switch so it stays on.

S

Sabel

Dec 11, 2017
Sheridan, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I explained all of this to the dealer. While it is overheating the fan is not on. The fan seems to engage at odd times but not while it's overheating.
Dealer says the fan tested out ok. Im thinking about having the dealer install a fan over-ride switch so it stays on.
It's overheated twice on the same steep gravel road. Both times it was in 2-wheel drive high range. Fan never came on. Could changing to 4-wheel drive low range make a difference?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fan never came on.

Look into this, THIS is your problem, not high vs low range. If your fan does not work, range makes no difference.
Pull the fan plug, check for debris, clean and apply dielectric grease. We can get into it further, but it could be a simple connection issue

Also, It has to be burped. The temp sensor for the fan cannot and will not EVER read a temp properly if it is only touching air vs liquid. This could explain the random coming on and off.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell ya what I'm going to do. Same thing I did to my turbo'd Neon. I'm gonna install a tee connector inline with radiator hose with a temp sensor. Ground the connector, run sensor wire to ground side of fan, and run switched 12volts to hot side of fan. That eliminates all the high tech crap controlling the fan. This is a simple old school solution that is rock solid reliable.

B

BeeeeeGeeeee

Sep 3, 2018
Fort Smith, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the exact same problem. Been to dealer twice. Unit is brand new and only happens when running in low and low speeds. First time they said it was low on coolant. I just picked it up today after it being there for two weeks. They said they can't replicated the problem. When it overheats it doesn't appear the fan is running. Once it cools down the fan is running. They want me to take pictures and videos the next time it happens. No clue how that will help. Owned it for two months and it's been at the dealer for close to a month of that. I'm ready to try just about anything. Can anyone give detailed instructions on the burping technique? I know the nose needs to be elevated. Does the radiator cap need to be off completely or just loose? And what will keep it from just boiling over when it heats up?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my machine but it's just too complicated to be an offroad vehicle. This thing should've been a single clutch design with either a torque converter or centrifugal clutch between crank and clutch basket. Cooling fan operation should be like I mentioned couple posts ago. It's simple, it works perfectly, and it's almost bulletproof reliable.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the exact same problem. Been to dealer twice. Unit is brand new and only happens when running in low and low speeds. First time they said it was low on coolant. I just picked it up today after it being there for two weeks. They said they can't replicated the problem. When it overheats it doesn't appear the fan is running. Once it cools down the fan is running. They want me to take pictures and videos the next time it happens. No clue how that will help. Owned it for two months and it's been at the dealer for close to a month of that. I'm ready to try just about anything. Can anyone give detailed instructions on the burping technique? I know the nose needs to be elevated. Does the radiator cap need to be off completely or just loose? And what will keep it from just boiling over when it heats up?
Although mine has never overheated or needed burping, my thinking tells me to:
1: Verify that the radiator and expansion tank are full of coolant and both caps are closed tight.
2: Run the machine on a level surface until it gets to operating temperature to open thermostat (noticeable when both radiator hoses get hot).
3: While still running, raise front of machine to at least a 60 degree angle and let idle for no more than 30 seconds (to avoid engine oil starvation).
4: Lower machine and turn engine off.
5: Allow engine to cool and then check coolant levels levels in radiator and expansion tank.
If you had trapped air in the system, the coolant level should be lower than when you started. If so... top off and test. Let us know, thanks.
Edit: The radiator cap should be closed completely to allow pressure to build. The trapped air isn't escaping the system at this point, it's just trading places with the coolant in the radiator. The air will actually escape when you top off your radiator.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I love my machine but it's just too complicated to be an offroad vehicle. This thing should've been a single clutch design with either a torque converter or centrifugal clutch between crank and clutch basket. Cooling fan operation should be like I mentioned couple posts ago. It's simple, it works perfectly, and it's almost bulletproof reliable.
I agree 100%

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I CANNOT BELIEVE THE WORDS THAT I AM READING ON MY COMPUTER SCREEN!!! I never thought I'd read a less than positive statement from you Delton!!! Say it ain't soooo!!

Reactions: Delton and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ohh NOOOO!!! You too???
I love mine a lot but it’s hard not to agree with the Delton statement. Miss the days of mechanical everything including hubs, it’s more dependable but people have gotten lazy and love the conveniences till there’s a problem.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I love mine a lot but it’s hard not to agree with the Delton statement. Miss the days of mechanical everything including hubs, it’s more dependable but people have gotten lazy and love the conveniences till there’s a problem.
Preach it brother

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!