Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mike I've got mixed feelings about new technology. I cut my teeth on carburetors and points distributors. Had a guy drive down from NY to have me tune a set of FCR carbs on his dragbike few years back. For the most part modern stuff is easier to diagnose. My problem is when manufacturer reinvents the wheel. Having the ecu control cooling fan is just total nonsense. Switched 12volts and a temp sensor switching the ground is all you need.

I understand, I deal with relay logic, PLC's with ladder logic and even fuzzy logic( teaches itself) on a routine basis. The new stuff may not be better but that's the way of the world. I also remember having a duel point distributor that was a pain in the @$$ to keep set right. I don't like it either but if I don't evolve , I will get left behind.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand, I deal with relay logic, PLC's with ladder logic and even fuzzy logic( teaches itself) on a routine basis. The new stuff may not be better but that's the way of the world. I also remember having a duel point distributor that was a pain in the @$$ to keep set right. I don't like it either but if I don't evolve , I will get left behind.
Yessir that's the way of the world these days. I'm thankful I can still work on the old stuff cause most younger guys can't.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is temp sensor setup off my old turbo car. Obviously it won't work on smaller radiator hose of the p1k but gives y'all an idea of what I'm talking about. I drilled/tapped a hole for a screw to connector so I could ground it. It's old school as hell but this guarantees you fan will come on every time temp hits certain mark.
IMG 20180915 110124163 1336x752

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm on this ! Thanks @Delton

Reactions: Delton
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yessir that's the way of the world these days. I'm thankful I can still work on the old stuff cause most younger guys can't.
My industry is having that exact problem. If the computer doesn't tell them what's wrong, they call an old guy!!!

Reactions: 0860silverado
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My industry is having that exact problem. If the computer doesn't tell them what's wrong, they call an old guy!!!
I do conveyor maint at Nissan. You should see the "real" maint techs working on the equipment. Without their laptops, most would be totally lost. Seen several use laptop to tell them if limit switch is working or not. 10 mins waiting to get laptop to connect to machine when I could whip out a multimeter and do same in under 60 secs lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My jerryrigging of blue wire didn't seem to bother the ecu. Not sure how it'd react to your cutting the ground wire though. I'm pretty sure ecus in these aren't quite as complicated as those in cars (hopefully). Can't be too hard to fool them. I made ecu in my car think map sensor was only reading 2bar while cranking out 15lbs boost lmao. Map clamps are wonderful things lol

Reactions: 0860silverado
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So our 2017 Pioneer 1000 has overheated three times now and been to the dealer twice for the problem. Dealer can not find anything wrong, but suggests that anytime I run below 20 mph to only use low range gears. I can't see how this will prevent the overheating. Any comments or suggestions here?
Another questions. When you pull over to cool off, is it better to leave the engine running of turn it off?

The number one overheating issue is mud in the radiator blocking air flow, it is not limited to the 1000, the 500s do it as well. I lead a lot of groups and have only ever had the issue once myself, 10 minutes with the pressure washer getting the radiator thoroughly clean makes all the difference in the world.

At our 2018 Takeover led a P500 group, had 2 machines that kept getting hot, I even towed out a CF Moto 800 SXS with 3 people inside, for 6 miles of muddy trails, my machine (P500) never got hot but people back in the group couldn't keep up without overheating towing nothing.

Point is, it is imperative to get the radiator clean after every ride, do that you likely won't have problems.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do conveyor maint at Nissan. You should see the "real" maint techs working on the equipment. Without their laptops, most would be totally lost. Seen several use laptop to tell them if limit switch is working or not. 10 mins waiting to get laptop to connect to machine when I could whip out a multimeter and do same in under 60 secs lol.

You are the man!!! I still us a Simpson 260 multi meter for special occasions.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The number one overheating issue is mud in the radiator blocking air flow, it is not limited to the 1000, the 500s do it as well. I lead a lot of groups and have only ever had the issue once myself, 10 minutes with the pressure washer getting the radiator thoroughly clean makes all the difference in the world.

At our 2018 Takeover led a P500 group, had 2 machines that kept getting hot, I even towed out a CF Moto 800 SXS with 3 people in it out for 6 miles of muddy trails, my machine (P500) never got hot but people back in the group couldn't keep up without overheating towing nothing.

Point is, it is imperative to get the radiator clean after every ride, do that you likely won't have problems.
I’ll also call out to make sure you clean out the backside of the radiator.. that has worked for several people who thought they had cleaned their radiator but were still getting hot.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ll also call out to make sure you clean out the backside of the radiator.. that has worked for several people who thought they had cleaned their radiator but were still getting hot.
Good point! I always thought cleaning my AC condenser with a hose was cleaning it, wrong, take some coil cleaner and let it soak a few minutes and rinse, keep repeating until rinse water is clear, you won't believe how much dirt you will get out, should work on radiators as well.

Last edited:
T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
My problem is when manufacturer reinvents the wheel. Having the ecu control cooling fan is just total nonsense. Switched 12volts and a temp sensor switching the ground is all you need.

Nothing has been reinvented, ECU-controlled fans have been a thing for decades now. The ECU switches the fan based on input from the same temp sensor you're talking about. I think it's a shame Honda doesn't publish the logic in their service manual, or provide a better set of gauges. Seeing the actual engine temp reported by the sensor could shed light on this issue, and it blows my mind why we can't have a real temperature gauge.

Think about it...you trust your ECU to fire your plugs hundreds of times each minute, but it's unrealistic to trust it to turn your fan on? Just like an engine failure, something is wrong that needs to be fixed. That can happen to simpler systems as well.

I, for one, love technological advances. The DCT was one of the biggest reasons I went with the Pioneer, and I absolutely love it. I also like the ability to start this thing without fighting with a choke in cold weather, as well as the power and response from a modern, computer-designed engine. :)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing has been reinvented, ECU-controlled fans have been a thing for decades now. The ECU switches the fan based on input from the same temp sensor you're talking about. I think it's a shame Honda doesn't publish the logic in their service manual, or provide a better set of gauges. Seeing the actual engine temp reported by the sensor could shed light on this issue, and it blows my mind why we can't have a real temperature gauge.

Think about it...you trust your ECU to fire your plugs hundreds of times each minute, but it's unrealistic to trust it to turn your fan on? Just like an engine failure, something is wrong that needs to be fixed. That can happen to simpler systems as well.

I, for one, love technological advances. The DCT was one of the biggest reasons I went with the Pioneer, and I absolutely love it. I also like the ability to start this thing without fighting with a choke in cold weather, as well as the power and response from a modern, computer-designed engine. :)
I guess "reinvent the wheel" wasn't right way to put that. What I should've said was they just added complexity to an already proven design. No need for the ecu to control the fan. It has to know coolant temp but not for this function. I got no problem with the dct. Not the biggest fan of the clutch engagement though. Over complexity again when there are proven systems that have worked since the beginning.

Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built most of those conveyors at Nissan bawhahaha what a nightmare Look and see if they are HYTROL stuff

Reactions: BWAF and Delton

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!