P1000 Engine cooling fan problem - Computer Glitch???

W

Wolsk

Jun 1, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi whould like to know if anyone has had an issue with the cooling fans which may not engage upon restarting.Problem very intermittent and will engage if shutdown and restarted. This is the currant model 3 months

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
When my P7-4 took a deep swim the fan worked fine for weeks, then out of nowhere it became intermittent. When I shut down due to noticing an over temp light, I let it sit for 1-2 mins, restarted and it worked fine ... no noise, no growl .... nothing. When I got back to the garage, I pulled it a few days later and hooked the wires to a different 12V source. It spun at about 5 RPMs. I rehooked it back up seconds later and it ran at correct speed. I changed it out, raised my vent tube and haven’t had any problems since.

If you’re going to replace it, BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE the tiny spacer grommets that you don’t notice until they are removed when you take out the upper 2 bolts from the front. I thought they were just washers and didn’t realize they also were bolt sleeves.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw P1000 ... maybe yours is anchored different.

Reactions: Mudwing
W

Wolsk

Jun 1, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When my P7-4 took a deep swim the fan worked fine for weeks, then out of nowhere it became intermittent. When I shut down due to noticing an over temp light, I let it sit for 1-2 mins, restarted and it worked fine ... no noise, no growl .... nothing. When I got back to the garage, I pulled it a few days later and hooked the wires to a different 12V source. It spun at about 5 RPMs. I rehooked it back up seconds later and it ran at correct speed. I changed it out, raised my vent tube and haven’t had any problems since.

If you’re going to replace it, BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE the tiny spacer grommets that you don’t notice until they are removed when you take out the upper 2 bolts from the front. I thought they were just washers and didn’t realize they also were bolt sleeves.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw P1000 ... maybe yours is anchored different.
This rig is farm use and hasn't seen wet whether yet soon ihope. The problem rose again and took 2 restarts.fan is dead when not working. I'm thinking it maybe a electronic problem the ecu. Hopefully the warranty guys will fix it.
Happy miles Cheers

Toyfarm1206

Toyfarm1206

Jan 6, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine quit working and overheated last week. I check plugs in wiring and fuse. Dealer said bring it in they did all the tests and checked wiring and it worked. Mechanic says that’s the second one they had do that.

W

Wolsk

Jun 1, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been slack haven't taken bike to dealer Mechanic for warranty yet. Luckily i fitted a watchdog just after purchasing the bike it alerted me before it seriously overheated.
Cheers

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1
last night saw my temps rising, noticed that the fas was not on.
Did a reboot- by simply shutting down and instantly re-igniting. Fan came back on instantly and temps began to drop.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
+1
last night saw my temps rising, noticed that the fas was not on.
Did a reboot- by simply shutting down and instantly re-igniting. Fan came back on instantly and temps began to drop.
Finally got my bike back to dealer and the problem was the fan control unit cheers and good luck

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine stopped working this past Sunday (after working all day Saturday). Fuses and wiring all looked good. I ran hot wire off my 2nd fuse panel and wired into blue wire to fan. It worked great rest of weekend. Haven't tore into it yet to find problem.

Reactions: Firemedic530
W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine stopped working this past Sunday (after working all day Saturday). Fuses and wiring all looked good. I ran hot wire off my 2nd fuse panel and wired into blue wire to fan. It worked great rest of weekend. Haven't tore into it yet to find problem.
My old cfmoto 800 had a sender connection problem i bypassed the sender directly to fans and left it that way permanently works a treat but then I'm a bushy . Have a Good one. Cheers

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Check for a lose nut behind the steering wheel! HA!

Reactions: Delton
W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally got my bike back to dealer and the problem was the fan control unit cheers and good luck
Still a problem. Was told to shutdown for 1min and restart by turning key to start without pause on ignition. And that honda is aware of the fault and is working on a fix . How hard could it be for experts !!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Honda released our "monthly" newsletter today and mentioned a fault in the PCM programming that may allow the Pioneer 1000 to turn the temperature light on without activating the fan. This may also result in radiator boiling over.

Basically the circuit isn't being activated inside the PCM. They don't have a permanent fix just yet, but they do have something to remedy the problem if it arises.

Shut the unit off and let it sit for at least 1 full minute.
Start the unit back up without allowing the ignition switch to stay in the "ON" position. Meaning turn the switch quickly from "OFF" to "START"
Process may need to be attempted 2 or 3 times until normal fan operation resumes
Some info posted by @HondaTech today.

Reactions: WagginTail
CoachRoss07

CoachRoss07

Aug 13, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a buddy that has a 17 P1K with same issue...so im guessing shutting off is the fix for the moment? He is totally fed up..is wanting to jump off the cliff on a razr 1k. Hope Honda gets it together or he wont be the only one.

Btw i have an 18 with no problems. Dont understand what changes they made and why can't they simply make whatever changes they did to the 17

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, have been reading a lot about this overheating issue and I have this same exact problem, it is a serious issue that definitely need to be addressed by Honda, I have a 2017 Pioneer 1000 eps and I Love the machine everything except this one very bad overheating because the cooling fan will not come on issue, The first time it happen to me it overheated after we ran it for two days on trails in Kentucky ran beautiful no problems, Then out of the blue it just overheated, well then i did my investigating and studying the problem I even drained the radiator and put new coolant in because i had to ad a couple bottles of drinking water on the trail when it overheated and yes I did bleed the system per the manual at the bleeding screw but that is not the problem with mine and many others I am seeing it is the fact that for some reason all of a sudden the cooling fan will not come on. so I put a double pole double throw switch in circuit just before fan control module and now I can manually over ride control module and turn on fan, but now I have to watch temp gauge all the time normally runs two bars all the time when it hits three bars the fan is not coming on and I manually over ride and temp goes down as it should, turn key off and back on and it will work ok then, just got back from Harlan Ky. and it did same thing ran beautiful for two and a half days then it went to three bars and the fan was not working manually over ride the control mod. and temp come down right away but i should not have to watch the temp gauge all the time to keep the thing from over heating. I realize and know that I could modify the cooling system with a thermostat and over ride the control mod. but this is a serious issue that need to be resolved by Honda So Who do we complain to at Honda to Get some answers on this definite Problem that in some ways it is very consistent among many machines but yet there is no rhyme or reason when it does it, Thank You all for listening and any input or anything You can do to get this problem out to Honda would be appreciated, Thank You,,,,

IMG 20180721 120919600

Reactions: CoachRoss07
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has any of the 2018 year models had this issue?

CoachRoss07

CoachRoss07

Aug 13, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has any of the 2018 year models had this issue?
I have a 2018 and have had no issues. However im just now hitting 226 miles so only time will tell. But i have done several low and slow long grades loaded down with no issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!