P1000 Engine cooling fan problem - Computer Glitch???

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
yeah i have seen it in 2018 models

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a new 2018 1000-5 in June. I had 1200 trouble free miles but overheated on last ride. The fan wasn't working. Turned key off and fired it back up and fan worked. Didnt happen again on the ride home. Haven't rode any since.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have a March 2018 p1000 and still has the problem luckily I had fitted a watchdog from new
What is a watchdog? I assume it is an aftermarket monitoring setup.

I just rolled around to the first service with a whopping 100 miles. Been to Windrock and Royal Blue with no issues, but it is still new.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I just rolled around to the first service with a whopping 100 miles. Been to Windrock and Royal Blue with no issues, but it is still new.

Yes aftermarket temp gauge with warning buzzer. Simple to install also has a wire for low oil.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you put the sensor for the watchdog? I have an Auber Instruments setup that I will be using. Fully programmable for alarm setpoint, has contact outputs, can use RTDs or thermocouples.
I can either do an immersion style with would require getting into the coolant loop or a contact type that could be surfay mounted to say the coolant neck etc

Just curious where you are putting it.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The sender fits under any bolt head away from the exhaust l have place it under the thermostat housing bolt quite simple to install. The oil alarm connects to the units existing alarm sender. Cheers

Reactions: Superthrill
Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi whould like to know if anyone has had an issue with the cooling fans which may not engage upon restarting.Problem very intermittent and will engage if shutdown and restarted. This is the currant model 3 months

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The sender fits under any bolt head away from the exhaust l have place it under the thermostat housing bolt quite simple to install. The oil alarm connects to the units existing alarm sender. Cheers
Yes I've been going thru the same exact problems with my 18 1000-5 deluxe. Works fine for days and one shutdown then restart and fan will not kick on then bike overheats. Shutdown for 20 sec restart and fan turns on and cools down bike. Been discussing with American honda and my local honda dealer and no clue yet. I've had it in 3 times now. Anyone come up with solution please post. Thanks!...

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got my bike back to dealer and the problem was the fan control unit cheers and good luck
Hello Wolsk2 im having exact same issue with fan periodically not starting and overheating bike. Could you tell me where the Fan Control Unit is located? thx ..

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Fan Control Module is directly under driver seat small black box small rubber bungee holding it next to larger computer brain box. I had to wire in a double pole double throw switch so I could override control mod. to fan to keep from overheating, when I see three bars I override and lock up fan till i can stop and shut off and restart then fan module starts working again????????????? HONDA HELP???????

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Fan Control Module is directly under driver seat small black box small rubber bungee holding it next to larger computer brain box. I had to wire in a double pole double throw switch so I could override control mod. to fan to keep from overheating, when I see three bars I override and lock up fan till i can stop and shut off and restart then fan module starts working again????????????? HONDA HELP???????
Thanks farmtimpoineer! Yeah this issue sucks since i like the Bike so much. Taking it in again next week and ill keep you updated.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for not answering. I thought I mentioned that it turned out not to be the control unit as the problem is still there. Interestingly though the fans have been working correctly last couple of weeks. Have been starting bike as suggested by Honda although this didn't fix the fan issue immediately maybe it has in time. Now I've said this it'll probably faulter. Must be positive. Cheers

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for not answering. I thought I mentioned that it turned out not to be the control unit as the problem is still there. Interestingly though the fans have been working correctly last couple of weeks. Have been starting bike as suggested by Honda although this didn't fix the fan issue immediately maybe it has in time. Now I've said this it'll probably faulter. Must be positive. Cheers
Thanks for the update Wolsk2! Im taking mine in tomorrow and ill let you know the outcome. (if there is any) .

Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
My 17 LE started doing this occasionally. Found it to be a connection issue at the connector mounted to the frame beside the fan. Took it apart, cleaned, reinstalled with dielectric grease. No issues since.

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 17 LE started doing this occasionally. Found it to be a connection issue at the connector mounted to the frame beside the fan. Took it apart, cleaned, reinstalled with dielectric grease. No issues since.
Thanks Doc... yep done that and still overheats occasionally when restarting machine. Fan not engaging.

L

larrystokes

Nov 11, 2018
washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had the overheating problem with my 2018 1000-5. Can I override the fan by tapping into the fan power feed without any danger of feedback causing damage to the pmc system should it come on?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had the overheating problem with my 2018 1000-5. Can I override the fan by tapping into the fan power feed without any danger of feedback causing damage to the pmc system should it come on?
Yes, I had the issue so I did a positap into the fan blue power wire. I have an engine fan switch in my panel now that is fed from a 10amp fuse in my fuse panel. The fan works as it should, but i can now override it if necessary. No issues with the PCM/ECM.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just got a 2018 deluxe in sep be riding 25 hours and 300 miles and the fan seemed to not be working and the red light came on the fan was not coming on and the machine was very hot idled for a minute no fan turn off, radiator was cold the over flow was fine. Started it back up the light came 4 bars and then the over flow bottle blow all the coolant out about 10 feet in the air. but the fan was now on but will not run with the key on and not running. The fan will only run with the engine running. lucky I had some bottle water and put some in a little bit at a time and the machine ran fine the rest of the day, and Now took it to the dealer and they told that the black box had the wrong temperature in it and they reset it to 225 degrees. this is the problem with the seat heat they are running it to HOT.

So did this fix it or is this going to be a on going problem?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!