P1000 Engine cooling fan problem - Computer Glitch???

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
So has anyone taken out the T-Stat? and put a after market fan on the front side of the radiator????

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Perry, I would not be convinced that the heat under the seat is the problem at least the problem that I have, I cut a hole and put in a louvered vent and fan under seat in the middle behind leg area and removed some of the plastic panels behind seat, it helped with the seat being hot in the middle but it still had the problem with the fan not coming on and also there is no rhyme or reason why or when it does it we rode for two days in 90 degree weather in the mountains it done great and then at the end of the third day fan decided it did not want to come on I override the control mod with my fan switch and temp com down right away as it should. The problem is that the fan at any given time just decides it will not come on, I do think that when this happens it seams as though it happens just after you have shut down vehicle at some point to take a break or whatever and then when you start out again it will do it but not always, I have about 400 miles on my 1000 eps and it has done it on me only 2 or 3 times the first time it overheated and i did not know what was going on,,,,,,

Reactions: perry
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did talk to my Honda mechanic about all this and He said that He would be interested to see what the head temp sensor is doing during one of these events the only way that could be tested is that I am going to have to run some continuity test on it when it happens again out on the trail, when you take it to dealer they are not going to get it to duplicate the problem, so anyone out there that has this problem maybe check continuity on this sensor to see if it is closed or open, the other problem with this test is that while you are checking the sensor your bike will be overheating because you would have to leave it running to do this test,,,,,,,

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did talk to my Honda mechanic about all this and He said that He would be interested to see what the head temp sensor is doing during one of these events the only way that could be tested is that I am going to have to run some continuity test on it when it happens again out on the trail, when you take it to dealer they are not going to get it to duplicate the problem, so anyone out there that has this problem maybe check continuity on this sensor to see if it is closed or open, the other problem with this test is that while you are checking the sensor your bike will be overheating because you would have to leave it running to do this test,,,,,,,
Honda will let a couple motors burn down then they will do a recall. Unfortunately it will be one of us thats trying to help solve the problem !

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda will let a couple motors burn down then they will do a recall. Unfortunately it will be one of us thats trying to help solve the problem !
it would be simple to figure out if it wasn't going thru the ECM.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talk to Honda today and they said that the fix is to update the PCM and that it will fix it know ( BS is what I say ) I told them if it does it again its going to blowup and then what?

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Perry, Never know until You try, That may be worth a shot it could be a glitch that is not passing code thru the ECM at times??????? Please let us know if You try and how it does. I am desperate for a solution to this problem I do think It will be worked out in time if all of us stay persistent to find the problem. Thanks,,,,

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At least with all these post on this same problem there should be plenty of prof that the problem exist

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It would be interesting to know if they have a service bulletin on it now???? Thanks,,,,

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
going to pick up on friday I hope will let them know what's up after I talk to them.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi
Traditionaly any vehicle I start I would pause on ignition briefly with the 1000 i was able to get the problem to arise in the shed every time I tried may have taken 6 or more restarts so there's no reason honda would not be able to diagnose the issue. That said maybe thy have since I have been flicking the switch to starter motor the last few weeks have been trouble free it took a couple of weeks to get there. Although I will never be trusting as this may be a coincidence. cheers

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Been on two rides no problem yet, and i did note that there was some antifreeze under the bottle when i loaded it up. need to look in to that. will try that but they said they flashed the CPU. so how knows.BS

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I wired my fan up with a dpdt switch in one position it works like I rented factory in the other it overrides to just turn fan on.

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry if I am iqnorant. But I guess you fellows are racing or in a situation where you can not stop, cause why not just restart the motor as this gets the fans to work as they should for the rest of your ride. It's the next time you restart the MOTOR at least this is may experience and seems to be other's as well. So why the switch? If there's a need to rewire why not just bypass to run fans continuously. Or the switch to continuous, why the switching back and forth as it's to late when the motor has over heated, damage DONE. Cheers

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Cause in my experience I have found the fan to be lacking when in heavy mud and often times it won’t catch up so to speak and just needs to run continuous. I also have friends that have had ofterheating problems where restarting didn’t fix.

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it would be simple to figure out if it wasn't going thru the ECM.
Got mine back from shop and Honda is not backing any ideas and not approving any replacement parts . Their fix for now is like the bulletin says. Turn key off wait 1 minute then restart for fan to engage. C,mon Honda step it up!!!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
meanwhile Your engine burns up because you failed to watch the temp gauge like a hawk, if you are not watching temp gauge it will overheat before you notice, when the warning light comes on it is overheating already, putting in the dpdt switch was piece of mind fix for Me now I have control of fan and when it starts to overheat I can cool it down with fan switch, gives me enough time to find a good safe spot to pull over off the trail so I can shut it down and restart, if You where in a position on a rough or steep trail you may have a hard time just stopping where you are and if you don't have the fan switch then your engine is overheating or how do We know for shure that it will work every time you restart I would hate to be stuck some where out in the middle of no where and not be able to cool it down. I have not determined yet (or maybe someone else has) if leaving fan on all the time would be too much of a load on charging system or maybe Ok during the day but at night with lights on it may be to much of a load, if you use more amps than you make could be a problem even with the Aux. battery Thanks For All The Info,,,,,

Reactions: Kilo427
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have always had a habbit of pausing with ignition on then starting also comes from driving diesels so that seem to be a pattern, the thing to do is not to pause when starting from off to start, but that still doesn't fix the issue, Thanks

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No worries fellas as I said I'm clueless to others situations. We do what works. Hondas suggestion may be working but I do not have faith. Does anyone have a clue way it would?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!