P1000 Engine cooling fan problem - Computer Glitch???

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hear ya farmtim. Its easy to make those temporary fixes sitting behind a desk!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also on the leaving fan run all the time, If You over work Your charging system You could have problems with transmission shift selonoids shifting properly, an Individual that bought one of these to use hunting or use around the farm would probably never experience this problem, all of Us who are need to keep on Honda and record this Hopefully at some point They Will address it, It seems to Me that it is a sensor or computer problem probably software programing, anyway Everyone Have a Good Christmas and Thanks,,,

Reactions: perry
W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fan hasn't faulted yet since flick through to start. I started this thread out of frustration and now it's looking good that something has fixed itself. So here's hoping you all have had a great Christmas and will have a happy new year Cheers

Reactions: perry
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Fan hasn't faulted yet since flick through to start. I started this thread out of frustration and now it's looking good that something has fixed itself. So here's hoping you all have had a great Christmas and will have a happy new year Cheers
Nice...
Hey, can I trade you some HondaSxS Stickers for some pictures of your Pioneer out on the trail / landscape?
I'll shoot you a message.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tried it all to see if I could make it happen and nothing would make it get above normal except when it wants too.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hello, I have a question, I was thinking of getting a Watchdog TM4 and putting it on a dpdt relay switch to control between two fan circuits fan control module and manual lock up, I was just wondering if Your Watchdog has worked out for You, Thank You For any info,,,

W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 20190106 095650 Yeah that unit is simply a temp read out with audible warning (adjustable) works as it should. It will sound of when restarting hot for a short time till it cools, I have it set a 106c, maybe a bit low at least I now it's still working. Mate I have no qualifications. I'm the wrong guy to be asking for advise. What your doing sounds complicated to me I had to look up dptp it's a 2 way switch I've leant something thanks teach but seriously if your problem sounds the same as mine, as my 1000 hasn't faulted, fitting a audible warning maybe all that is needed. Cheers and good luck with your venture

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 102541 Yeah that unit is simply a temp read out with audible warning (adjustable) works as it should. It will sound of when restarting hot for a short time till it cools, I have it set a 106c, maybe a bit low at least I now it's still working. Mate I have no qualifications. I'm the wrong guy to be asking for advise. What your doing sounds complicated to me I had to look up dptp it's a 2 way switch I've leant something thanks teach but seriously if your problem sounds the same as mine, as my 1000 hasn't faulted, fitting a audible warning maybe all that is needed. Cheers and good luck with your venture
Hello, I believe You are Right I think all I really need is alarm to remind me when the problem does accur I already have fan switch that i can manually switch fan on, I think I will get the Watchdog, I think I remember You saying where You mounted sensor was it around thermostat area or thermostat housing bolt. Thank You , Nice Picture,,,

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

Wolsk2

Sep 5, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The radiator works I purchased it from said anywhere convenient and adjust readout to suit. Instructions may say from memory, away from exhaust preference on or near thermostat, there maybe better units out there, this was the only one I was shown. Simple to install sender ring under bolt head power to unit, done. Just a thought. For you guys in trying conditions drowning or washing regularly maybe a squirt of some sort of electrical sealing to stop any sort of corrosion, highly doubt its needed though.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yes; I have 2018 pk1 deluxe 5 and mine over heated two days ago going down hill. Only had for two months. Just got 150 miles on it.
Mine overheated with 29 miles; take it in for the ECM reflash. I burped mine and brought it in to the dealer the next morning for the ECM flash, so I can't say for certain the flash fixed it. However, it's never overheated again and it's been run hard.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When we bought ours the dealer said they had updated it with the ecm flash. I've had it over heat once since so I will continue to watch the temp like a hawk. I'm about to take it in for the gas peddle upgrade so I'll have them make sure they performed the flash.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

A

Alawyersdad

Jul 11, 2019
Gilbert wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine overheated with 29 miles; take it in for the ECM reflash. I burped mine and brought it in to the dealer the next morning for the ECM flash, so I can't say for certain the flash fixed it. However, it's never overheated again and it's been run hard.
I take it back Thursday. We will see if the dealership can fix the problem. But with dealing with GMC and their trucks; plus having a daughter for a lawyer; I won’t keep it long if not fixed.

L

Leeroy13

Mar 3, 2019
CenLA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

PM sent

P

patsfan2312

Jul 28, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 P1000-5 deluxe here. It overheats bc the fan won't kick on like others have posted.

Overheated once @ about 80 miles. The fan wasn't running, so we thought the fan might be broken or something. Checked fuses and wiring out on the trail and all looked fine. Let it sit for a while until it cooled down, then restarted and drove it back to the truck, and the fan worked fine on the entire way back, kicking on when it was supposed to. Took it out a couple other times on short rides to try to duplicate the issue and the fan worked properly both times. Took it in for 100 mi service and told dealer about the issue. Said they would reflash the ecu and it should fix it. Took it out again after the service and put about 90 miles on it in 90ish degree weather, and it worked fine the entire day, was watching the temp gauge and it never went above two dots. Took the thing out yesterday and it overheated again. Again, towards the end of the day after riding around 80 miles. Watched the temp all day and it never got above two dots again until late in the day. By this point I had heard of the so called "glitch" that the fan won't start. Turned it off a couple mins until temp light went off and restarted and fan immediately kicked on and cooled it down. It has about 250 miles right now.

I don't ride particularly hard, but don't baby it either. It sees some mud and rocks, but nothing close to extreme, mostly just gravel and dirt trails.

Now, this may sound crazy, but both times the thing overheated was at the end of a long day riding with no issues until the end of the day. BOTH times this has happened when the headlights were on and those are the only two times I've ever had the headlights on, as both times when we stopped to park, I turned the headlights off and didn't turn them back on. I didn't think of it at the time, but I'm wondering if there is any connection between this fan issue and the headlights? Yes, I know how crazy this sounds, but electrical issues, which this almost certainly is, can have extremely odd causes sometimes, so it's just a thought. The headlights were on because we were going through some dense forest and it was fairly dark, but they were on mainly for visibility for oncoming riders, as the trails are quite narrow. So, once we restarted, the headlights were off and the fan worked fine, and I didn't turn the headlights back on at the time. Probably just a coincidence, but maybe something in the wiring or electronics that could cause this?

Honestly really love the P1000, but if this is an ongoing issue I'm going to trade it on a RZR Turbo. I've been a Honda customer since my dad bought two new Honda Ranchers in 2001 when I was 11, and Honda is all I've ever owned. I also have two Rancher 420s that my girlfriend and I bought just this year, so I've been a long time Honda loyalist. I bought the P1000 over the competition because I mainly wanted reliability, and passed on a Turbo because of this reason, but I just don't trust this machine at this point, and really can't until there is some definite fix for this issue.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2018 P1000-5 deluxe here. It overheats bc the fan won't kick on like others have posted.

Overheated once @ about 80 miles. The fan wasn't running, so we thought the fan might be broken or something. Checked fuses and wiring out on the trail and all looked fine. Let it sit for a while until it cooled down, then restarted and drove it back to the truck, and the fan worked fine on the entire way back, kicking on when it was supposed to. Took it out a couple other times on short rides to try to duplicate the issue and the fan worked properly both times. Took it in for 100 mi service and told dealer about the issue. Said they would reflash the ecu and it should fix it. Took it out again after the service and put about 90 miles on it in 90ish degree weather, and it worked fine the entire day, was watching the temp gauge and it never went above two dots. Took the thing out yesterday and it overheated again. Again, towards the end of the day after riding around 80 miles. Watched the temp all day and it never got above two dots again until late in the day. By this point I had heard of the so called "glitch" that the fan won't start. Turned it off a couple mins until temp light went off and restarted and fan immediately kicked on and cooled it down. It has about 250 miles right now.

I don't ride particularly hard, but don't baby it either. It sees some mud and rocks, but nothing close to extreme, mostly just gravel and dirt trails.

Now, this may sound crazy, but both times the thing overheated was at the end of a long day riding with no issues until the end of the day. BOTH times this has happened when the headlights were on and those are the only two times I've ever had the headlights on, as both times when we stopped to park, I turned the headlights off and didn't turn them back on. I didn't think of it at the time, but I'm wondering if there is any connection between this fan issue and the headlights? Yes, I know how crazy this sounds, but electrical issues, which this almost certainly is, can have extremely odd causes sometimes, so it's just a thought. The headlights were on because we were going through some dense forest and it was fairly dark, but they were on mainly for visibility for oncoming riders, as the trails are quite narrow. So, once we restarted, the headlights were off and the fan worked fine, and I didn't turn the headlights back on at the time. Probably just a coincidence, but maybe something in the wiring or electronics that could cause this?

Honestly really love the P1000, but if this is an ongoing issue I'm going to trade it on a RZR Turbo. I've been a Honda customer since my dad bought two new Honda Ranchers in 2001 when I was 11, and Honda is all I've ever owned. I also have two Rancher 420s that my girlfriend and I bought just this year, so I've been a long time Honda loyalist. I bought the P1000 over the competition because I mainly wanted reliability, and passed on a Turbo because of this reason, but I just don't trust this machine at this point, and really can't until there is some definite fix for this issue.
I over heated at about 800 miles. I've got 2600 miles now and I've not had it happen since. I make sure I turn the key straight to start without pausing ever since that happened and I watch the temp gauge. I've not had the reflash done but it either didn't help u or they didn't do it.

P

patsfan2312

Jul 28, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I over heated at about 800 miles. I've got 2600 miles now and I've not had it happen since. I make sure I turn the key straight to start without pausing ever since that happened and I watch the temp gauge. I've not had the reflash done but it either didn't help u or they didn't do it.

Yeah, I do the same. Since I researched the problem, I've been going straight to ignition without any pause because I've read this prevents the issue, but it still happened again. Seems like it's just something Honda thinks we have to live with, since it's been an issue for so long and there still isn't really any fix for it. It appears to me that it just happens at complete random.

Honestly, I'm skeptical that they even did the reflash. The dealer that I go to has a good reputation, seemingly, so I tend to trust them, but who knows for sure.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I do the same. Since I researched the problem, I've been going straight to ignition without any pause because I've read this prevents the issue, but it still happened again. Seems like it's just something Honda thinks we have to live with, since it's been an issue for so long and there still isn't really any fix for it. It appears to me that it just happens at complete random.

Honestly, I'm skeptical that they even did the reflash. The dealer that I go to has a good reputation, seemingly, so I tend to trust them, but who knows for sure.
I had a weird electrical issue that I caused, I found out by accident you could start it in gear by stepping on the break firmly and start it, ( DONT EVER DO THAT) it freaked the electronics out and would high rev at start?????????

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!