Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yea Did mine tonight. Real pain. And I don't see doing this with out removing fenders and airbox.

30 plastic rivets ,6 screws, 12 bolts, 6 or 7 wire grommets. Ridiculous
How far out were they?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I don't recall exactly but think it was around an hour. It is a little bit of a hassle due to the lay out of the machine...

C

Chooglin

Yea Did mine tonight. Real pain. And I don't see doing this with out removing fenders and airbox.

30 plastic rivets ,6 screws, 12 bolts, 6 or 7 wire grommets. Ridiculous
I agree @Talen , I think it's a must and you also need to remove all wire clips from the battery box and get it out of the way ,so you can see the timing marks thru the site hole.
This is how I did it. It takes a lot longer but we'll worth the extra effort !!!

C

Chooglin

I took a picture but was having trouble getting the camera to focus. The site hole was very easy to see once the battery box is moved out of the way !!!
20160312 172713

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I don't recall exactly but think it was around an hour. It is a little bit of a hassle due to the lay out of the machine...
I can handle an hour or two but if it takes 5 hrs to check the valves I'm not gonna be happy. I've had the plastic off under the seat installing a center seat belt so the Phillips screws are loose now...hopefully no other overtightened bolts that I tend to see on this machine.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you for the write up on this. I'll probably be doing it before the weekend is over - going to wait till i'm a little past 100 miles. I was concerned about all the crap you have to remove to get to the top of the motor, but after changing the oil last night it doesn't seem too bad...

Does everyone put the machine in 5th and roll it to get to TDC??? I would prefer to put a socket on the flywheel bolt to turn the motor, as I have done in the past on other machines. Has anyone used a wrench to turn the engine instead of rolling the machine??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well I did it. And yes. It sucked. But both of mine were off. Loose on exhaust and tight on intake. Did I mention it sucked???

Reactions: Lburou and 500oneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well I did it. And yes. It sucked. But both of mine were off. Loose on exhaust and tight on intake. Did I mention it sucked???
Does it run any different, better??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Does it run any different, better??

No difference in how it runs. If the clearances get excessively big, you might notice a little more valve noise and an adjustment might quiet them a little. But it's better to have a little too much clearance than not enough, so always err on the high side when it comes valve clearance.

I would be willing to bet that you could go a very long time with no valve adjustment and be just fine... however, I didn't want to take a chance. this is the first new Honda I have bought, so I'm going by the book.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No difference in how it runs. If the clearances get excessively big, you might notice a little more valve noise and an adjustment might quiet them a little. But it's better to have a little too much clearance than not enough, so always err on the high side when it comes valve clearance.

I would be willing to bet that you could go a very long time with no valve adjustment and be just fine... however, I didn't want to take a chance. this is the first new Honda I have bought, so I'm going by the book.
I hear ya, I think you're right, my buddy has 2K on his with no adjustment and no trouble.

Reactions: CURTK
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I've been really running mine hard lately. Towing a disc around my small field to help smooth it out and eventually expand my yard. So, pulling hard (have to use 4wd or it spins out) in "L" I've probably run 3 or 4 hours like this since Friday night. I'm not running the rpms up excessively, but enough to keep moving. Anyhow, tonight I started to notice a ticking noise. I'm 90% sure it's valve noise. Maybe it's normal...but this is the first I've noticed it. I guess I'll check the valves again sometime. :( I've got just about 300 miles on. Did the valves at 120 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Also make sure you are not running hot (or possibly low on antifreeze) and checking the valves would be a good idea.
Good luck

Reactions: duskygrouse
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Also make sure you are not running hot (or possibly low on antifreeze) and checking the valves would be a good idea.
Good luck
When I work it hard like that I keep the temp on the display. I have yet to see it go above 2 bars out of 5, even though the fan runs occasionally. I'll double check the coolant tho. I always take it for an easy cruise down the road to make sure it's cooled down a bit before putting it away.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When I work it hard like that I keep the temp on the display. I have yet to see it go above 2 bars out of 5, even though the fan runs occasionally. I'll double check the coolant tho. I always take it for an easy cruise down the road to make sure it's cooled down a bit before putting it away.
Been doing the same thing, never over two!!! That seems strange to me, climbing the long steep trails I do in the winter or summer, no difference, two bars. Do they actually work, lol.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Been doing the same thing, never over two!!! That seems strange to me, climbing the long steep trails I do in the winter or summer, no difference, two bars. Do they actually work, lol.
Yeah I wonder that myself... You would think it would climb a bit, then drop after the fan starts running. Either the temp gauge is not precise at all, or the cooling system is amazingly effective!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah I wonder that myself... You would think it would climb a bit, then drop after the fan starts running. Either the temp gauge is not precise at all, or the cooling system is amazingly effective!
Right. Like the gas gauge. Go down a steep hill for a very long time and your 4 bars will read 1. If you're on 3 bars, the low fuel signal starts flashing, lol.

Reactions: GreatNorth
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Right. Like the gas gauge. Go down a steep hill for a very long time and your 4 bars will read 1. If you're on 3 bars, the low fuel signal starts flashing, lol.
I just laughed out loud... I have experienced the exact same thing. The gas gauge sure doesn't like it when the buggy is on uneven ground!

Reactions: Sxsnewby

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!