P500 P500 Valve adjustment

C

Chooglin

You guys are missing the purpose of a thermostat , the thermostat opens and closes as needed to keep a constant temprature (along with the fan)in the engine !! If your gauge fluctuat's , then you have a problem with the cooling system !!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would expect at least a little fluctuation, just like in a vehicle. On a hot summer day, crawling along on steep rugged terrain in my truck, low rpm' my temperature gauge rises a little, and there's no cooling system problems.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I've been really running mine hard lately. Towing a disc around my small field to help smooth it out and eventually expand my yard. So, pulling hard (have to use 4wd or it spins out) in "L" I've probably run 3 or 4 hours like this since Friday night. I'm not running the rpms up excessively, but enough to keep moving. Anyhow, tonight I started to notice a ticking noise. I'm 90% sure it's valve noise. Maybe it's normal...but this is the first I've noticed it. I guess I'll check the valves again sometime. :( I've got just about 300 miles on. Did the valves at 120 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night, I listened to the engine when I first started it - No tapping. Then I rode it a while, pulling the disc again. I stopped to let it idle and listened - no tapping. Went for a drive down the dirt roads for a few miles, cruising around 30 - 33 MPH. Put it in the garage, listened again. I could hear the tapping. Weird.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
No difference in how it runs. If the clearances get excessively big, you might notice a little more valve noise and an adjustment might quiet them a little. But it's better to have a little too much clearance than not enough, so always err on the high side when it comes valve clearance.

I would be willing to bet that you could go a very long time with no valve adjustment and be just fine... however, I didn't want to take a chance. this is the first new Honda I have bought, so I'm going by the book.

I've never had to adjust any valves on any
new vehicle. ..or utv/atv....if that's the case
Honda,s got a problem...mine makes a little
noise. ...but it's new so I hope the noise
is normal....
Bought new...so I could ride...not
Wrench....or sit & wait for it to be
fixed

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've never had to adjust any valves on any
new vehicle. ..or utv/atv....if that's the case
Honda,s got a problem...mine makes a little
noise. ...but it's new so I hope the noise
is normal....
Bought new...so I could ride...not
Wrench....or sit & wait for it to be
fixed
it's preventative maintenance. I'm still under warranty for quite a while. I adjusted the valves, and documented everything. In the unlikely event that I would have top end problems during the warranty period, showing that I performed the required maintenance per the owner's manual will prevent the dealer from trying to deny my warranty claim. Being a Honda (automobile) service adviser in the past, I've personally denied warranty claims due to the customer not performing preventative maintenance (usually oil changes). My experience working for a dealer is one of the reasons that I am diligent when it comes to maintenance.

If you don't want to adjust your valves, that's your prerogative.

A little noise isn't hurting anything. It's just an annoyance mostly. The thing to worry about is when the clearance goes away. A valve adjustment is the only way to detect that.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
it's preventative maintenance. I'm still under warranty for quite a while. I adjusted the valves, and documented everything. In the unlikely event that I would have top end problems during the warranty period, showing that I performed the required maintenance per the owner's manual will prevent the dealer from trying to deny my warranty claim. Being a Honda (automobile) service adviser in the past, I've personally denied warranty claims due to the customer not performing preventative maintenance (usually oil changes). My experience working for a dealer is one of the reasons that I am diligent when it comes to maintenance.

A little noise isn't hurting anything. It's just an annoyance mostly. The thing to worry about is when the clearance goes away. A valve adjustment is the only way to detect that.

I disagree that adjusting valves is preventive maintenance on a brand new machine
You know a dealer...your benifit.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Now..... down the road..yes
it could be nessasary. ..
but you saying valve adjustment
on a brand new p500....
is just not correct

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Now..... down the road..yes
it could be nessasary. ..
but you saying valve adjustment
on a brand new p500....
is just not correct

It's not my opinion, The owner's manual for the P500 says it. Trust me, I'd much rather not have to deal with a valve adjustment at 100 miles.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
It's not my opinion, The owner's manual for the P500 says it. Trust me, I'd much rather not have to deal with a valve adjustment at 100 miles.
Guess I'll look for that.
your quote could scare off
alot of potential buyers
I've owned Alot of new vehicle /
Utv/Atv.....never had to do that
I bought a honda because my
dad had honda snowblower
& lawnmower. ...always started
everytime...has honda quality
gone down....
cause in my book...valve
adjustment at 100 miles
is not a good selling
point.....I'm just saying
& I feel most people buying
Would agree

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Your under warranty for quite
awhile...you know dealers...
why are you doing it?
& your ok spending that kind of $
Then having to wrench...after 100
miles of riding...
why the warranty. ..

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Your under warranty for quite
awhile...you know dealers...
why are you doing it?
& your ok spending that kind of $
Then having to wrench...after 100
miles of riding...
why the warranty. ..

I'm not sure I understand. I worked for a Honda CAR dealer, which doesn't give me any advantage with the Honda dealer I bought my P500 from. I was just making a point about the importance of performing required maintenance and documenting it.
I did not purchase an extended warranty, but the factory warranty is one year.
I do as much of my own wrenching as I am capable of. The book says to adjust the valves, so I adjust the valves. Not that big of a deal. I'm going to own this machine for a long time, so I have to take care of it.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not sure I understand. I worked for a Honda CAR dealer, which doesn't give me any advantage with the Honda dealer I bought my P500 from. I was just making a point about the importance of performing required maintenance and documenting it.
I do as much of my own wrenching as I am capable of. The book says to adjust the valves, so I adjust the valves. Not that big of a deal. I'm going to own this machine for a long time, so I have to take care of it.

Ok...
I do my own maintenance
as well...don't have the knowledge
to adjust valves...but oil....air filter
I do every 250 miles cause of the
dust here...
just talked to guy who sold mine
to me....was told not that big of a deal
most never need it...could be a tad
off...but nothing to be that concerned
about...
not butting heads...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok...
I do my own maintenance
as well...don't have the knowledge
to adjust valves...but oil....air filter
I do every 250 miles cause of the
dust here...
just talked to guy who sold mine
to me....was told not that big of a deal
most never need it...could be a tad
off...but nothing to be that concerned
about...
not butting heads...

I haven't taken any offense. That's good that you're staying on top of the oil/filter/airfilter. I'm sure it's super dusty where you're at.
My dealer quoted me about $100 to check valve clearances and adjust if necessary. So if you do decide to have them checked down the road, it's not a massive expense...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I started thread....
to see how many p500
have had problems with
this...
It's kool dude...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't taken any offense. That's good that you're staying on top of the oil/filter/airfilter. I'm sure it's super dusty where you're at.
My dealer quoted me about $100 to check valve clearances and adjust if necessary. So if you do decide to have them checked down the road, it's not a massive expense...

Kool...
I love this ...so does the wife
we just putt around. ..here in the desert
Thanks for your input....

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I guess it is all in how you look at it. You paid 8k plus for the machine, $100 is not that bad if you can not do it, and want a shop to take the time to check it. If you can do it yourself it costs nothing at all. I wish more of my eqpt cost me nothing to work on and keep running. I just changed oil on one of pieces of eqpt the other day and it cost over $300 in oil and filters, that was at the 50hr mark. Just the costs of doing business or playing.....

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Like many people here have expressed, I don't trust the dealerships and mechanics working for them, to be up to speed on training, nor honest. I could never know if they actually adjusted the valves, or if they had that it was done correct. I've asked the dealership several things about my P-5 and because of the things I've learned participating on this forum, discovered I know more about it than they do. I wish I had a buddy that is mechanically inclined and could take it over to his house and do the adjustment with him. Until then, observing no noise or trouble out of it, it will remain as it came from the factory. And I agree with Rocmar. Seems to me that if such internal work is truly necessary in the first 100 miles, Honda should be paying for it.;)

SouthGA

SouthGA

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
I agree I bought mine to ride. I don't like the idea that not performing a valve check on a brand new machine could be cause for Honda to ditch my warranty coverage. I maintain my machines and have only had one bike that developed an engine issue and that was because my teenagers sunk it weekly. Don't care for the local shops and don't break open Honda engines. Guess I will continue to service my fluids and filters and hope Hondas dependability continues with this machine.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If a nessesity. ..
the dealer who sold it..
should say...bring it in after 100
miles..we will check it for you..
A little loyalty from Honda to
there customers. .might be
something they might wanna
look into doing...
I bought a new truck..
2500 H.D .GMC
get 3 yrs free oil changes
in which they also detail
my truck....both times I've
Had the oil change...
called customer service
I feel once Honda gets your $
....they want more...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If a nessesity. ..
the dealer who sold it..
should say...bring it in after 100
miles..we will check it for you..
A little loyalty from Honda to
there customers. .might be
something they might wanna
look into doing...
I bought a new truck..
2500 H.D .GMC
get 3 yrs free oil changes
in which they also detail
my truck....both times I've
Had the oil change...
called customer service
I feel once Honda gets your $
....they want more...
$50,000 truck and an $8,000 buggy... Kinda hard to compare I think. Trust me, you paid for those oil changes. The dealer builds it into the sale price.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!