HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Nice!!!! What I've thought (and posted on this forum) all along. So do you actually work at a Honda dealership shop or another sxs shop or small engine repair shop or other?
Never adjusted them on my Rubicon 500 (2003) and it doesnt need them adjusted .

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting exchange here with all the valve information. The one thing I may have missed is the problems of not adjusting the valves. Besides harder starting and some loss of power there is a very great chance of burning valves which will lead to some serious out of pocket expense unless you can address that yourself. As the seats and valve wear the valve tightens up. If the seat doesn't wear much but the adjuster face does along with the top of the valve it contacts the valve will become looser.

So for me its like brushing your teeth. You may not like it but its really necessary to save you a lot of problems down the road.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think if you read through all five pages you'll see that it has all been discussed.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I think if you read through all five pages you'll see that it has all been discussed.
Perhaps you could point out where the problem of burned valves is in this thread? I could use the help as I still can't seem to find it. There is a very good chance I missed it. There is hinting about there being problems but not what the problem would in my reading of the thread.
Thank you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Perhaps you could point out where the problem of burned valves is in this thread? I could use the help as I still can't seem to find it. There is a very good chance I missed it. There is hinting about there being problems but not what the problem would in my reading of the thread.
Thank you.
You're welcome. True there's not any in depth detail, but from 'hard start', to 'motor damage', is mentioned. There are those amongst us that feel strongly that the scheduled valve maintenance should be performed, and there are those who seem indifferent or at least unconcerned with valve adjustment. But I don't know how many actual Honda mechanics we have here or whether your technical questions will be answered to your satisfaction.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
You're welcome. True there's not any in depth detail, but from 'hard start', to 'motor damage', is mentioned. There are those amongst us that feel strongly that the scheduled valve maintenance should be performed, and there are those who seem indifferent or at least unconcerned with valve adjustment. But I don't know how many actual Honda mechanics we have here or whether your technical questions will be answered to your satisfaction.
My point probably not well stated was the fact that it could lead to burned valves. I was trying to go beyond the word "problems". I have no technical questions actually because I am comfortable doing any of this work myself having rebuilt over 500 of these types of engines. I have not had good luck with dealers. Yes the valve adjustment is important and my point was some in the thread were mentioning it wasn't necessary. Its absolutely necessary even if you find its not needed when you check. So we certainly agree about that. Fun little machine with the key word being little. Taking it to Silverton next week for a few days of running around as I have a dried in house/machine shop there were moving into next summer for our retirement. I lived there years ago at 11,000' in San Juan county and want to get back there. Great little place where you can just hop on your UTV and be gone.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My point probably not well stated was the fact that it could lead to burned valves. I was trying to go beyond the word "problems". I have no technical questions actually because I am comfortable doing any of this work myself having rebuilt over 500 of these types of engines. I have not had good luck with dealers. Yes the valve adjustment is important and my point was some in the thread were mentioning it wasn't necessary. Its absolutely necessary even if you find its not needed when you check. So we certainly agree about that. Fun little machine with the key word being little. Taking it to Silverton next week for a few days of running around as I have a dried in house/machine shop there were moving into next summer for our retirement. I lived there years ago at 11,000' in San Juan county and want to get back there. Great little place where you can just hop on your UTV and be gone.
Well, I hope you have good times in Silverton on your trip and in retirement. To the valves, like every other issue that comes up here, it's a matter of opinion that people base on risk assessment. Most P5's and previous Honda products requiring scheduled valve maintenance, don't get it. You regularly hear people proclaiming that they've never adjusted the valves on their Honda xyz and that they're still going strong years later. Nobody would disagree that loose valves can cause hard starts and tight valves can burn. It's just that right or wrong, people tend to think that if their ride starts good, sounds good and runs good that their valves are likely good.

SouthGA

SouthGA

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
Finally broke down and done the adjustment. Had a little tapping that was driving me crazy so I opened her up. Both were slightly loose and with my family mechanic we had her adjusted in a flash. Really simple to do after removing the rear fenders and the tapping went away. Was really dead set on not opening up a brand new machine from Honda but it was simple and both needed attention. So there you go.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Finally broke down and done the adjustment. Had a little tapping that was driving me crazy so I opened her up. Both were slightly loose and with my family mechanic we had her adjusted in a flash. Really simple to do after removing the rear fenders and the tapping went away. Was really dead set on not opening up a brand new machine from Honda but it was simple and both needed attention. So there you go.
That's too bad, mine must have rolled out on a Tuesday or a Thursday. 2,000 miles and two years, no tapping, quick starts and peppy performance. I'm glad you have a mechanic in the family to assist you in your operation though.

advertisement
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
My valves tick when it starts up cold, but get quiet when the oil warms up. I am using synthetic and thought this might be normal. It has never really started up super quick, takes a few revolutions and it stumbles sometimes initially. Does it sound like valves are out of adjustment? I only have 300miles on it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My valves tick when it starts up cold, but get quiet when the oil warms up. I am using synthetic and thought this might be normal. It has never really started up super quick, takes a few revolutions and it stumbles sometimes initially. Does it sound like valves are out of adjustment? I only have 300miles on it.
A ticking.....maybe. Mine never "ticks". But straight out of the dealership it turns over 3-4 times at cold, snaps off instantly once warmed up.

Chisholm

Chisholm

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
Here I thought it was set it and forget it. I have never adjusted the valves on my 2001 450 foreman ES . Maybe I should use it as a practice machine
I was thinking the same thing on my 02' 250 recon

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Did my first valve adjustment this weekend. It's a PITA, but really just a lot of busy work. I managed to get a photo showing the timing mark. All the tips here helped make it a lot easier. Moving the battery box helped a little. There's so many wiring connections right there it didn't move enough to really help. I did find that reaching in from the driver side and using my left hand worked reasonably well to get to the timing mark cover plug. From there I could also reach through with my right hand down around the engine to turn it over. Took about 8 turns to approach the timing mark in time to stop on it. The soda straw trick suggested here worked well. I did make a point of using dielectric grease on every connector I had to unplug. My valves were within +/-.001 of spec. The exhaust side was on the tight side.

DSC 1277

Reactions: cowboyjeff
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to my dealer today, was quoted 90 to 140$ max. I was told they never did P500 valves before, I'm the first customer, dont know what to make out of this, I hope it will be good. They listen to my P500 and compared to the sound of P500 on the lot, mine was more noiser. So all guys there agreed I need to check valves.

Reactions: Lburou
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Went to my dealer today, was quoted 90 to 140$ max. I was told they never did P500 valves before, I'm the first customer, dont know what to make out of this, I hope it will be good. They listen to my P500 and compared to the sound of P500 on the lot, mine was more noiser. So all guys there agreed I need to check valves.
These have been out over two years and they've never done one???? It's a PITA, they'll hit ya for the 140$ probably. Hope it works out for you.

hobbytrucker

hobbytrucker

Jun 14, 2016
digby ns
Ownership

1. 500
i did mine the other day what a difference its way quieter and adjusted the clutch shifts smoothly and works like a charm

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
i did mine the other day what a difference its way quieter and adjusted the clutch shifts smoothly and works like a charm
"Way quieter" ?? How far out was it and which way?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I know I wouldn't be the first
...17 yr old kid...trying to be a
honda tech....not on my machine
...them not doing one...
says something?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yours sounded like a real honda

Reactions: solrus
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!