P700m4 PlastiDip Black Pioneer

I just finished spraying it with PlastiDip.
I personally think it looks really good.

Photo 3 Photo 4 Photo 1 Photo 2

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
ohanacreek,
What can you tell us about the texture?
How do you think mud act on it.
Sticking and cleaning it off

Not sure it's def a rubberized coating. Feels like the handle on a new pair of vice grips. Not super thick I have about 6-7 coats and it's about 1/16"
Might mudstain but I wash mine after every heavy mud use so moisture does not stay on it in places it could cause corrosion. We shall see soon, it's been raining just about every day for the past two weeks. Would be playing in it, we've had temps from 25-75F along with it, but no windshield would be less than enjoyable.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
Ya, Yall got me watching all these dipyourcar video's. Now I'm wanting to do my truck. LOL.

That thought has crossed my mind...

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

That looks awesome!! You are going to have to keep us posted on how the spray holds up.
I don't have a Pioneer yet but am going to buy one next summer... already have permission:) It's snowmobile season here now and it's going to be -20 again tonight.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks snowman, thought it looked pretty snazzy myself.

Welcome to the forum.
I think it will do fairly well, its somewhat thick. Been busy at work and its been pouring down rain here, haven't been able to get out and ride it in the past week or so.
Its going to get used this coming week, I'll put some pics and videos up.

-20 is too cold.

chops

chops

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2013
Foster, WV
Darn it ohanacreek, you stole my thunder! I was planning on doing this from the moment I saw that Honda didn't have a black on planned. Honestly, the dealer could have gotten in a pink pioneer first, and I would have bought it, haha. I'm glad to see it looks good, maybe I'll get around to spraying mine now, and maybe wiring up that switch panel I bought.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First P4 in Birmingham area was the red one I bought I wanted green, tried to get dealer to swap the plastic on the green P2 they had in stock. Couldn't so I bought the red, red was starting to get old and it finally bothered me so much I found PlastiDip, it was cheaper and in my impatient opinion easier than wrap. I probably could have spent an extra $10 and doubled the thickness with a total of 4 cans. I might peel it all off this summer and do just that.

What remains to be seen is the durability but I plan on putting that and my winch to the test Sunday.

chops

chops

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2013
Foster, WV
Good luck. I'm sure everything will hold up fine. Fonzy from dipyourcar.com has instilled confidence in me for plastidip.

***Correct spelling appears to be Fonzie

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
chops said:
Good luck. I'm sure everything will hold up fine. Fonzy from dipyourcar.com has instilled confidence in me for plastidip.
+1... Lol

Googled him... this is what I got.

Attachments

• IMG_6469_zpseaf51fa1[1].jpg
    IMG_6469_zpseaf51fa1[1].jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 784
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No pulled the clips out and opened the gap between the dash and fenders to a point where they weren't touching when the mask was in place, and the fenders and grill. Taped everything REALLY WELL and as I sprayed, opened the gap up manually to get good coverage. Then let it dry and then peeled the masking off and put it back together.

I am realizing now I should have taken more pictures of the process, I was like a kid on Christmas morning wanting to get it done and unwrap it to see what it looked like.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok. well i decided I'm dip'n too I guess. Can't afford any more wrap.
I have the left fender off. Im going to tape the right one.
Got my first coat on.
I can't believe how rough it goes on. Then dries so smooth. Amazing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah just need to see how it holds up 2 cans gave me about 6-7 coats. I wish I'd used another can.

Mpnoonan

Mpnoonan

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Northeast Nebraska
Just got a 6 pack of white plasti dip I'm going to do my pioneer 4 when it gets back from the dealer I'm having a switchboard installed. I think I'll pull everything off and do it. Also thinking of using the plasti dip glossifier to give it a little shine. Will post pics as soon as it's done! Debating on what to do about my red pioneer 700-4 stickers on rear doors. Do them white or leave them?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it will look awesome glossy white with the black plastic bodywork and can't wait to see pictures of it.
Also I created you a white pioneer tag on the members map. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=770940

I am thinking about experimenting with different colors later, maybe a copper color in the black.
Kinda the fun thing about it, its cheap and NOT permanent if you get tired of it peel it off.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So finally went out today and tested the durability and made half an effort to test the winch(It was in the low 30s and I really didn't feel like swimming today)

I have videos that I need to edit and I will be posting later, but here are some pics of it in its natural habitat instead of holed up in its cage.

The videos will show I was re-blazing trails in some places(before anyone gets bent out of shape this is national forest land that borders US Steel land, free to ride) the Plastidip held up REALLY well agains limbs, briars, trees, the only issue I had was where a 2" branch rubbed the edge. REALLY have to watch those things!!!

Jabava5a

And where I caught the thing thin feathered edge with a 4500psi pressure washer.
A6esyta5

I am going to keep this application through the winter and see how it holds up but so far I am impressed.

Also to those who say the Pioneer has no power there is a point where I am climbing a fallen tree, to cross over it and all the camera catches is SKY.

IMG 0007 IMG 0008 IMG 0009 IMG 0010 IMG 0013

Reactions: Superfan75
pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
First off, that thing looks awesome! I'd love to do that to mine but I'll be pretty hard on it once I get used to it (had a Foreman). I'm not much for high speed and climbing but I'm not afraid to rub it down a washout bank or against a tree or rock so I don't think it'd last long. My question is...can't you just touch up the bad spots or do you have to peel it off and do it again? If you can touch it up I'd consider it. I mean it's not like I'll be beating the sides off it every day.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pipefighter577 said:
First off, that thing looks awesome! I'd love to do that to mine but I'll be pretty hard on it once I get used to it (had a Foreman). I'm not much for high speed and climbing but I'm not afraid to rub it down a washout bank or against a tree or rock so I don't think it'd last long. My question is...can't you just touch up the bad spots or do you have to peel it off and do it again? If you can touch it up I'd consider it. I mean it's not like I'll be beating the sides off it every day.

Thanks! I though so myself. Not sure about repairs yet I am going to pick up some more spray tomo and try it shortly. Yeah a bank or tree would peel it off (it was a 2' sapling that I pushed over that got the corner, but brush/briars unless it is thick and probably would gouge the plastic anyway, is not going to bother it. It cleans up really well just have to watch the edges of the sprayed area, that is the weak spot. I am definitely going to put 4 cans instead of 2 next time and do something about the fender edges, I haven't come up with a suitable solution, yet.

Hondasxs said:
Looks good.
The red pioneer decal needs to go. Lol.

yeah I am going to peel them off. they are cheap to replace I will order some and keep them in a file somewhere.
May get someone I know to print me a Pioneer decal in another color. silver or something.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!