P500 Previous P500 Owners??

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
But I always regretted not getting a bigger machine. Bought a 1000-5. I love that machine, was like riding in a Cadillac after getting out of a 500 and would do stuff in 2wd that would be a struggle in the 500. Picked up a 2022 Talon X4 in January. Loving the Talon so far!
I've got some thinking to do. One of the things that attracted me to the 500 was its size and it was so much more affordable. I haven't really given it a chance yet. Seems like a very capable machine. If I decide to sell it I won't take it off road so the buyer will basically get themselves a new machine with several upgrades. If I can't get what I want then I'll throw the kitchen sink at her and keep it (winch, SSS skids, Power steering, etc). My wife mentioned a Jeep Wrangler the other day....oh brother!

IMG 0613

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Ok Ill bite cuz I think your cool @KyGal83

Mine is a bit different than the rest.
I bought a P1K5 that i still own first back in 16’ . Still have it and love it to this day. Then i wanted a P5 for our 50” trails that we have up here in the mitten. Bought it used from Jspeed and my Good friend @trigger was so graciously nice to go with me to Indiana to pick It up. It was a 15’ low miles and i moded the hell out of it. Its in my sig as Remy’s Bumblebee build. It was alot of fun. Had it for about 3yrs. It fid alot of work at the Cabin and rode many trails. But it wasnt my P1. Plus I wanted a Talon 😏 so I sold it to a farmer that needed it to check cattle. I got my money out of it. Bought a 21’ Talon and here I am. It was a fun rig. Trigg and I had one of the best rides in that thing, Ill never forget it.
View attachment 393202View attachment 393204View attachment 393203
Thanks for sharing Remy. It looks like you got to ride with @trigger , pre-Nerf bars… before the legend began. 🤣🤣

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Funny that this comes up now as I stumbled onto the video you took of that ride the other day. That was an awesome ride and I still think it's the best example of the P5 in it's element. There was nothing treacherous like deep mud holes or steep climbs but they were super tight trails, skinny bridges, low hanging limbs...no way a wider machine was getting through that. I've tried to find that trail several times since then and can't find it, I think it's been blocked off.

That looks like a fun day!!

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I've got some thinking to do. One of the things that attracted me to the 500 was its size and it was so much more affordable. I haven't really given it a chance yet. Seems like a very capable machine. If I decide to sell it I won't take it off road so the buyer will basically get themselves a new machine with several upgrades. If I can't get what I want then I'll throw the kitchen sink at her and keep it (winch, SSS skids, Power steering, etc). My wife mentioned a Jeep Wrangler the other day....oh brother!

View attachment 393339,
Wife wanted a jeep too but, bought her a nice car instead and still have the p5. We are enjoying both now.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jeeps have probably been the most dependable vehicle I have owned over the years. But I also don't go crazy modifying them either.
What’s the competition in your line of ownership though? If you’ve owned 3 new Jeeps and traded them in every 3 years but prior to that string of dependable vehicles you had a $500 clapped out S10 or Ranger then of course the Jeeps are going to have been more reliable. I’m not bashing Jeep or you. I’m honestly asking what your basis of comparison has been. I don’t think they are trash for the record. I’d own a Wrangler. I just wouldn’t want it to be the only vehicle I rely on.

Last edited:
advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Don't know if I really count since I owned a 700 before the 500. And maybe that was part of the problem...though problem is too strong a word...

Had to sell the 700. Went without for like a year and came across a 500 at MLS powersports in KY (great people).
I'd always liked the concept of a 50" machine, and not having the same opportunities to ride like I did when I bought the 700, I got it.
What I found was that while I like the concept of a 50" machine, I DIDN'T like the execution. It rode horribly, and was sketchy on stuff I wouldn't have even though about in the 700. It was also harder to service. And I've b****ed about the rack thing be the worst of both worlds before.

Not long after, I moved back out west. Oddly enough, the trails out here tend to be not as rutted and worn down from traffic, so I actually enjoyed it a bit more out here...but it was really the same story. Bigger tires and wheel spacers to widen the track helped a lot, but even then it only went from horrible to bad. As soon as I got the opportunity to move back to a bigger machine, I did.

I'm going to say my machine had like 4,000 miles on it. Other than using a little bit of oil I never really had any problem with it, and I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't buy one again unless I lived next to or rode a lot of 50 inch trails.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
What’s the competition in your line of ownership though? If you’ve owned 3 new Jeeps and traded them in every 3 years but prior to that string of dependable vehicles you had a $500 clapped out S10 or Ranger then of course the Jeeps are going to have been more reliable. I’m not bashing Jeep or you. I’m honestly asking what your basis of comparison has been. I don’t think they are trash for the record. I’d own a Wrangler. I just wouldn’t want it to be the only vehicle I rely on.
I have had plenty of old Jeep Cherokee Sports and CJ's with high mileage. I owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty since new and it had close to 300,000 miles on it when my son totaled. 2018 Jeep Renegade that go totaled in an accident. Replaced the 18 Renegade with a 2016 Cherokee and had it until I traded it in on a 2020 Ford Ranger in 2021. So I have owned plenty of Jeeps that brand new and old beaters. None of them ever left me stranded or gave me any fits.

I would still be driving the 2016 Cherokee if I didn't need a truck. In fact I am still considering trading the Ranger in for another Cherokee if I can find one with all the specs I want.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had plenty of old Jeep Cherokee Sports and CJ's with high mileage. I owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty since new and it had close to 300,000 miles on it when my son totaled. 2018 Jeep Renegade that go totaled in an accident. Replaced the 18 Renegade with a 2016 Cherokee and had it until I traded it in on a 2020 Ford Ranger in 2021. So I have owned plenty of Jeeps that brand new and old beaters. None of them ever left me stranded or gave me any fits.

I would still be driving the 2016 Cherokee if I didn't need a truck. In fact I am still considering trading the Ranger in for another Cherokee if I can find one with all the specs I want.
Automatic transmissions in the Cherokees ever give you problems? I don’t know anyone that has ever killed a Jeep motor without basically trying. Automatic transmissions I’ve seen replaced/rebuilt in under 100k miles many times even on strictly bone stock grocery getters. The most annoying and common complaints I hear though are electrical gremlins. I’ve often wondered if those should be attributed to peeps trying to use them as boats/submarines. I’ve had lots of fun off road in Jeeps (Wranglers/Comanches/Cherokees/Grand Cherokees) over the years but the street manners of them aren’t daily drivers…for me. Plenty of peeps love them though.

The Liberty and Renegade aren’t really the same thing though. They are far more CRV or RAV4 … just street vehicles.

Mbradley42

Mbradley42

Aug 22, 2020
Waynesville NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Jeeps have probably been the most dependable vehicle I have owned over the years. But I also don't go crazy modifying them either.
Man I've got 2 of them in the driveway a 01 Cherokee and a 2020 compass... I've owned a 78 jeep soft top a 95 xj a 00 wj I've had plenty of experience with them a lot of good and bad. Who gives a s*** what anyone says drive what you like I was just poking fun

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man I've got 2 of them in the driveway a 01 Cherokee and a 2020 compass... I've owned a 78 jeep soft top a 95 xj a 00 wj I've had plenty of experience with them a lot of good and bad. Who gives a s*** what anyone says drive what you like I was just poking fun
But you gave up the bulletproof awesomeness of a P5 for a Yami so your opinions are no longer valid. 🤣😂

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
I had a Cherokee long time ago. It had a welded rear, rock sliders, front locker. A great woods vehicle. Even the air conditioning worked. Was the envy of most my riding crowd. Didn't care what I ran into or ran into me so it was fun. The 4.0 ran like a top with 200+ miles (orig engine). Don't recall having any tranny issues. It ran HOT I remember. Cut vents in the hood to solve that issue. Still got friends with Jeeps new and old. I heard the Diamler years weren't so good. The prices would keep me away more than anything.

20090905 223654

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
Automatic transmissions in the Cherokees ever give you problems? I don’t know anyone that has ever killed a Jeep motor without basically trying. Automatic transmissions I’ve seen replaced/rebuilt in under 100k miles many times even on strictly bone stock grocery getters. The most annoying and common complaints I hear though are electrical gremlins. I’ve often wondered if those should be attributed to peeps trying to use them as boats/submarines. I’ve had lots of fun off road in Jeeps (Wranglers/Comanches/Cherokees/Grand Cherokees) over the years but the street manners of them aren’t daily drivers…for me. Plenty of peeps love them though.

The Liberty and Renegade aren’t really the same thing though. They are far more CRV or RAV4 … just street vehicles.

I never had any issues with the automatic transmissions in any of the Cherokee Sports I owned. The first generation Liberties actually had the same powertrain, transfer cases as the Wranglers did for those years. My 2002 Liberty went the same places as Wranglers did off road. Now my Liberty would not keep up with a full blown built mudder or rock crawler but I never expected it too either. Mine seen plenty of off road use. And I will agree that the Renegade is not as capable off road but it still does well for what it is.

My son has a 2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk and his wife has a Subaru Crosstrek. The Subaru can't compete with the Compass Trailhawk off road.

To keep on subject. Every time I think about a different UTV, I sit back and add up all the things I have added to my P500 and also the cost differences of new UTVs. I always decide to keep the 500.

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Every time I think about a different UTV, I sit back and add up all the things I have added to my P500 and also the cost differences of new UTVs. I always decide to keep the 500.
That's a big dilemma for me too. We'll see how it goes.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!