PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
@PSquare, why 14s and spacers?
I'm still learning. Are spacers not necessary with the 14's? I'm not sure my offset but I don't think they're 5+2. I was under the impression going taller meant you should go wider also (?). I was just being cautious. Want as much stability as possible if and when I hit the woods.

IMG 0628

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Separate questions, really.

Increasing wheel size means decreasing tire sidewall, thereby decreasing ride quality on a machine that needs all it can get! :)

What size spacers?

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Separate questions, really.

Increasing wheel size means decreasing tire sidewall, thereby decreasing ride quality on a machine that needs all it can get! :)

What size spacers?
1'' front, 2" back. I went up 2 inches in wheel size from stock but also went 3 inches up in tire size (24 to 27). I never thought about the ride quality as much as the "tipping" factor.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
IMO you don't necessarily need that. Plus it'll throw a lot of mud. 1", maybe?

I run 27s on 4+3 12s, btw. 1/2" width difference from 5+2.

Every machine will tip, sooner or later! ;)

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1'' front, 2" back. I went up 2 inches in wheel size from stock but also went 3 inches up in tire size (24 to 27). I never thought about the ride quality as much as the "tipping" factor.
Was that your selection, or was it a package that Southern just threw together? It looks good but Futz makes some good points. That being said don’t sell your machine short. We had a ride recently and Futz, KyGal, and the Goat all had 500’s that went everywhere we did. (Talons and 1000’s) The Goat actually went somewhere I didn’t! Up Slate Rock. I know you don’t want to necessarily get it dirty if you are planning on selling it, but I think you will be really surprised how capable it is.

I run 27s on 4+3 12s, btw. 1/2" width difference from 5+2.

Every machine will tip, sooner or later! ;)
Unfortunately you are correct!

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
. . . and don't forget that going from 24s to 27s raises the machine 1.5 inches, not three. And those tires weigh more, for that lower center of gravity thing . . . just sayin' :)

My machines are at 53.5" or so. Pretty sure my compadre @KyGal83 (27s on 5+2 12s) is at 53 . . .

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Was that your selection, or was it a package that Southern just threw together? It looks good but Futz makes some good points. That being said don’t sell your machine short. We had a ride recently and Futz, KyGal, and the Goat all had 500’s that went everywhere we did. (Talons and 1000’s) The Goat actually went somewhere I didn’t! Up Slate Rock. I know you don’t want to necessarily get it dirty if you are planning on selling it, but I think you will be really surprised how capable it is.

Unfortunately you are correct!
@PSquare ... Exactly This! My driving skills are lacking but The p500/520 is a VERY capable trail machine.

It is well known, I do not like the Tippy feeling either. Recently went thru several changes to try to correct my tippy feeling, successfully.. It feels like a tank now. The tire change was a major factor. Tire size, quality and wheel offset are a very calculated decision for this machine, small changes make a difference.

I would implore you to reconsider selling, especially since you have not really gave it a shot on the trails yet. Give it to the end of the year, come to MOM, meet other P5 owners, see some real world application of the mods. The 500 group and myself will gladly give you any assistance we can..

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The bottom line is: if you don't need/want the small size, there are indeed much better (and expensive) options.

It takes significant money to turn the P5 into a viable trail machine, IMO. Tires, front locker, shocks, skid plate, etc. Plus roof, windshield, rear panel, etc. for comfort . . . $5K, easy.

But the fun, versatility and challenge factor is what I absolutely love about this machine. I'm getting better and better at driving. Lots of different lines to choose from. I've seen folks with large machines: A. with nowhere to ride them without trailering them or B. searching out difficult trails because otherwise they'd be bored.

Just really depends on what you're after . . . I need the small size for where I use it, and now I'm glad I run the small machine. I'll lose my nerve before it loses its' capability!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The goat was great but for a gnome I’m just too dang tall!
500’s are best suited for the wee folk like Lilliputians and other forum members…I’m sexy and I gnome it…

5071FA4F 092C 48B0 B1AF 3DF297A68A1A

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Another bottom line: if you wanna go fast or be smooth, avoid the P5!

I like to go slow and enjoy the ride (and I expect off roading to be bumpy) . . . others rip and tear, or need paved road speed to get from A to B.

advertisement
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
. . . and don't forget that going from 24s to 27s raises the machine 1.5 inches, not three. And those tires weigh more, for that lower center of gravity thing . . . just sayin' :)

My machines are at 53.5" or so. Pretty sure my compadre @KyGal83 (27s on 5+2 12s) is at 53 . . .
Futzin is correct and I am very happy with that setup. 53 feels very good.

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Originally I just put the 1" on the back, evened the track width. Then I got caught up in the more is better crowd :D

Was that your selection, or was it a package that Southern just threw together?
Yes, it was my idea.

We had a ride recently and Futz, KyGal, and the Goat all had 500’s that went everywhere we did. (Talons and 1000’s) The Goat actually went somewhere I didn’t! Up Slate Rock.
I would have loved to see that (the slate rock climb). I bet you all had a blast.

Recently went thru several changes to try to correct my tippy feeling, successfully.. It feels like a tank now. The tire change was a major factor. Tire size, quality and wheel offset are a very calculated decision for this machine, small changes make a difference.

I would implore you to reconsider selling, especially since you have not really gave it a shot on the trails yet. Give it to the end of the year, come to MOM, meet other P5 owners, see some real world application of the mods. The 500 group and myself will gladly give you any assistance we can..
I may just do that. I appreciate the inspiration.

The bottom line is: if you don't need/want the small size, there are indeed much better (and expensive) options.

It takes significant money to turn the P5 into a viable trail machine, IMO. Tires, front locker, shocks, skid plate, etc. Plus roof, windshield, rear panel, etc. for comfort . . . $5K, easy.

But the fun, versatility and challenge factor is what I absolutely love about this machine. I'm getting better and better at driving. Lots of different lines to choose from. I've seen folks with large machines: A. with nowhere to ride them without trailering them or B. searching out difficult trails because otherwise they'd be bored.

Just really depends on what you're after . . . I need the small size for where I use it, and now I'm glad I run the small machine. I'll lose my nerve before it loses its' capability!
Maybe a couple rides with the group is all I need.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Originally I just put the 1" on the back, evened the track width. Then I got caught up in the more is better crowd :D

Yes, it was my idea.

I would have loved to see that (the slate rock climb). I bet you all had a blast.

I may just do that. I appreciate the inspiration.

Maybe a couple rides with the group is all I need.
You wouldn’t regret it. Several of us are local to you, (Soddy, Signal, Cleveland, Ringgold)

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
What’s the competition in your line of ownership though? If you’ve owned 3 new Jeeps and traded them in every 3 years but prior to that string of dependable vehicles you had a $500 clapped out S10 or Ranger then of course the Jeeps are going to have been more reliable. I’m not bashing Jeep or you. I’m honestly asking what your basis of comparison has been. I don’t think they are trash for the record. I’d own a Wrangler. I just wouldn’t want it to be the only vehicle I rely on.
off topic as i love my P5 and plan on keeping it but i have owned 5 jeeps starting with a CJ5, 2 YJ wranglers one TJ wranger and 2 XJ Cherokee's. No crazy mods to any of them but used them and took them offroad. No issues with any of them besides normal stuff, only had to replace U joints on one them the TJ at 100k miles. All were bought used and ran until 100-150k miles. The P5 ride reminds of my CJ5

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
off topic as i love my P5 and plan on keeping it but i have owned 5 jeeps starting with a CJ5, 2 YJ wranglers one TJ wranger and 2 XJ Cherokee's. No crazy mods to any of them but used them and took them offroad. No issues with any of them besides normal stuff, only had to replace U joints on one them the TJ at 100k miles. All were bought used and ran until 100-150k miles. The P5 ride reminds of my CJ5
I am on my 2nd XJ Cherokee, had loads of trouble with the rear gate on the first one. Every rain was a flood in cargo area.. which I feel like was specific to that one XJ. Both the previous and the current one were 2001… no water issues on the current one, very happy with it thus far. I do not off road the current one (Sheldon), it is still too pretty for that.
IMG 0504

The ride in my P5 reminds me of the ride in My Mini Cooper. Except I have more elbow room in the P5… 🤣🤣🤣

Image000000

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!