Inital start warmup time

A

Anonymous

I love my pioneer. This is my first Honda in awhile is anyone else experienceing longer warmup times than on there other machines.Seems like mine takes at least minium 6-8 minutes or longer if its colder outside. I have heard that the oil has to get warmed up enough for the tranny to work. Is this normal ,It will not pull itself unless it has ran for an extended time, then it seems to work perfect.and the next time you star it that day its fine with no problems. Using the Honda 10 w30 .Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, this is normal. First start will require a warmup. But your stated time seems a bit long. How cold is your cold? As that will make a difference.
Thanks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This service bulletin was for the 1st gen Rincon...

"TRX 2003 TRX650FA Rincon

Cold Weather Transmission Performance

When used in cold regions, the TRX650 Rincon must be brought to normal operating temperature before usage. This model uses motor oil in the automatic transmission, which requires some time to normalize the flow characteristics. Additionally, oil viscosity is very important to the proper operation of the transmission. If a customer has a problem with shifting or climbing performance,make sure he is warming the unit up prior to putting demands on the transmission.Also make sure he is using the correct viscosity oil.Refer to the owners manual for specific recommendations.Do not use oils with graphite, moly, or "energy conserving" oil. Honda offers 5w-30 oil for use in cold climates. Use 0w-30 oil if operating the unit below 10 F. Some aftermarket oil manufacturers offer 0w-30 oil.

Warm-Up Guidelines

The TRX650FA employs a torque converter type transmission that uses engine oil as the working fluid. To avoid any possible transmission slip due to insufficient oil in the torque converter, make sure you and your customers follow the warm up guidelines listed below.

Air Temperature (50-95 degrees F)
Normal warm up--until the engine runs smoothly and responds to the throttle with the choke knob in the fully OFF position.

Air Temperature (5-50 degrees)
Warm up the engine for three minutes.

Air Temperature Below -5 degrees F
Warm up the engine for five minutes."

Obviously, it wars carbed, and i am sure there is a newer version around, but it should give you a good ideal of what sort of warm up times are needed. I agree with HondaSxS...unless you are in Siberia, your times do sound long.

A

Anonymous

Today was high 40s to about 50. It took im sure at least 5 minutes for tranny to start to pull smoothly then after that perfect the rest of the day. Just hope this is normal. Thanks again.. Im enjoying the engine brake more and more..very nice..

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
saluki 5 said:
Today was high 40s to about 50. It took im sure at least 5 minutes for tranny to start to pull smoothly then after that perfect the rest of the day. Just hope this is normal. Thanks again.. Im enjoying the engine brake more and more..very nice..
What is it doing, just slipping? Maybe mention it to the dealer and ask them do an oil pressure test. If that checks out, then use the 5-30 mentioned in the service bulletin.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Its been in the 40 to 50s here when I go in garage I start it up then unlock door this may take a minute and it works just fine.I never had to wait to get her moving.Just wondering is yours outside or garaged because the wind blows bad where I'm at it if its in 40s then temp is actually down in 30s.my dads Honda was a beast to start and get moving if it ever sit outside.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!