Stopping Air leak around E-brake and shifters

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I did the mod earlier on the shifter levers [didn't have my camera that day] Anyway this is what I did this morning to stop the cold air leakage around the E-Brake lever. The shifter levers are similar except there done under neath the hood and I used a motorcycle inner tube stretched over the metal and then just zip tied the tube shut at the end were the cable passes thru.
First I cut out a piece of cardboard template then cut out a piece of Alum. to fit into the opening around the E-brake lever. Earlier in the summer I had picked up a shift boot from the wreckers off of a 90s Dodge 4x4 truck. I cut the boot to fit inside my Alum frame and pulled it out around the sides so that when I screwed the plate down there was rubber comming up around the sides of the Alum frame sort of creating a gasket .Now the E-Brake lever is sealed off just like the shifter's ,

Brake 2 Brake 1 Brake 3 Brake 4

Reactions: killdeer
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Shifter lever's were done almost the same way with a frame on the underside and used a motorcycle tube stretched over the frame and screwed up under the backside of the dash,the open end of the inner tube were the linkagaes and cable goes through was just zip tied shut.

Attachments

• shifter 1.jpg
    shifter 1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,038
  • shifter 2.jpg
    shifter 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 994
  • shifter 3.jpg
    shifter 3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,015
  • shifter 4.jpg
    shifter 4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,235
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Dick said:
Nice Job, looks good!

Did it make enough of a difference to make it worth while?

yes we went or a ride today and even in the open with the wind blowing etc: there was no air leakage and it was toasty in the cab.I actually enjoyed the ride. It was -15 c with a windchill of -28 c and us driving into the wind and I was warm :D . I'am trying to tell everyone that you need to get the cold air infiltration to get your heater to work properly.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would think the same, if you can not seal the cab up then you are just waiting your time.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wondered what those screws were for when I saw them in another post makes sense now.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Slowdryrider - do you know what year you got the boot off of the on the 90's Dodge 4x4. There was a body style change sometime in the 90's. Like your set up so want to make sure I get it right. Thanks

M

Motoman006

Mar 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
How much for you to make me that aluminum cover and ship it to me?

Looks great I need to fix mine asap

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!