Summit Racing heater installation

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
Updated with parts list below.

These heaters are a great alternative to the manufacturer branded heater and a heck of a lot cheaper. I had installed one in my Rhino and it worked great. Heater runs about $140 and the vent kit about $35. The Pioneer is about as inviting for a heater as you can get with the underhood space. I modified a couple of shelf brackets from Lowes for $7 a piece to use as my mounting brackets. Tapped a few holes to bolt it all down and its a great fit.

The only thing I have left to do is find a place to tap into the water system of the Pioneer. In my Rhino I tapped in-line with the upper radiator hose. The Rhino had a a 3/4 inch hose. The heater uses a 5/8 line. Easy enough to get a 3/4 adaptor to 5/8 and this setup worked great. The Pioneer appears to be using a whopping 1" line at the radiator.

I have read in one of the other threads that a good place to tap is an oil cooler or something like that. For those of you who have done a heater install. An you post a pic of where you tapped into the water system at? And did you go in line or did you feed off one side and return at yet another point? If you did the second option a pic of where you returned would be great too.

Ive attached a few pics of my install showing the mounting brackets, vents, switch and installed pics.

Heres what you need:

Summit heater (link below) $143
Vent kit for heater $35
2 shelf brackets from Home Depot $14 for the pair -pic below
3 ft of 5/8 heater hose that you will cut in half. These go on summit heater $8
2 six foot pieces of 3/4 heater hose. These will run back to you coolant tie in at upper oil cooler line $16
2 heater hose adaptors from 5/8 to 3/4 These can be had at autozone part number 48070 $10 for the pair
1 90 degree heater hose fitting. Used to give you 90 degrees out of upper oil cooler line so no hose kink. Home Depot
10 pack of heater hose clamps. Home depot $8.00
Gallon of 50/50 antifreeze to fill lines to minimize air. Fill hose prior to button up. $10. Only need a quart really.
Four 12" zip ties to keep heater hose properly routed.
2ft of power line for main power supply for fan switch with fuse. $5 autozone
Four 1/4-20 by 3/4 inch long bolts with flat and lock washers. Used in tapped holes to secure brackets. Home Depot $2
Four 5/16 bolts with flat washers and nylon lock nuts. Will secure heater to mounting brackets.

Tools needed:
Sawzall to cut centers out of brackets and to cut brackets to length
Drill with 5/16th bit for bolt holes in bracket and 13/64th bit for tapped holes for heater mounting brackets.
Dremmel with cutting bit. Used to cut holes for vents in dash.
Wire strippers and crimpers. Used for switch for fan.
Electrical tape. Used to tie into harness power line.
Tape measure. Used to help center vents on proper location
Welding tip cleaner drill bit. This is a mini drill bit setup Get at welding supply store. Used to pilot vent location centers.
Nut driver or screwdriver to tighten hose clamps.
Patience, time, and desire to be warm and cheapskate at the same time.

Image Image Image Image

Reactions: Upstatefreedom
pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Nice find buggy. Check out the "assembling the heater" thread. They've been talking about tie in options there. I'm gonna head over to summit.com and check this thing out. For that price it's probly not worth making my own.

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
I haven't seen the 40k BTU one but typically they are going to go with a physically bigger core. I can tell you the one I put on as shown in your link fits perfectly under the hood. Not sure if you could fit anything bigger.

pipefighter577 said:
Here's the link for the heater. They also have a 40k btu for $180.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-9 ... /overview/

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
That's my biggest issue because I already made a storage compartment under my hood and don't want to lose it. I'm hoping I can just mount the whole thing inside the cab somewhere. Is it much bigger than say an average shoebox?

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
Sweet. This is on my list. Great price.

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
Updated with parts list. Looks like about $260 or so.

M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.
Just wanted to thank-you for great info on summit heater install.I did it and everything you wrote was accurate and easy to understand.matter of fact I've installed factory designed accessories that did not go as well.Only things I did different was add defrost vent and 3-way coolant shut off ball valve. Valve was bought on Ebay and installed on drivers side heater bracket that I made 3"longer for this purpose.Sorry so long a post but really wanted to thank-you.

Reactions: Tflynn and sharp
advertisement
Z

Zoelt

Jan 19, 2020
SD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda factory plumbs directly in to pump and return lines. No Y connector. I’m wondering if anyone has plumbed this way
Thanks
TZ

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
For what it's worth, inferno sells everything individually as well as kits. You can buy all the different Y adapters.

I have their kit for the talon (18k btu) and wish I would have gotten something bigger. Mines a 4 seat, so double the area as a 2 seat. The summit core is more btus for the money for sure. If I was to do it again, I'd get a much bigger core with the 6 2.5" outlets instead of 4 2" outlets.

I do like their vents though, easy to install and clean looking.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honda factory plumbs directly in to pump and return lines. No Y connector. I’m wondering if anyone has plumbed this way
Thanks
TZ
For what it's worth, inferno sells everything individually as well as kits. You can buy all the different Y adapters.

I have their kit for the talon (18k btu) and wish I would have gotten something bigger. Mines a 4 seat, so double the area as a 2 seat. The summit core is more btus for the money for sure. If I was to do it again, I'd get a much bigger core with the 6 2.5" outlets instead of 4 2" outlets.

I do like their vents though, easy to install and clean looking.

Not sure if you fellas realize this thread was from January 2014. But if it helps you out great!

Z

Zoelt

Jan 19, 2020
SD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for bringing up a new “thread”.
thanks Jefferson87

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
Would love to go this route. One thing I think I have noticed. Is Buggymasters SxS does not appear to have power steering? I have looked my 2020 with power steering over and I don't see this unit fitting to clear PS and hood both. The unit will fit in area and can clear PS. However due to moving heater core forward to clear PS the hood does not appear like it will clear. Anyone installed this that has PS and can clarify for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!