P700 What things to add.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sorry, I am sure there are many threads but I never seem to find a consistent answer. So here is what I am thinking...feel free to suggest others.

Have a new (July) P700-4 Deluxe. I have been looking at the Nilite 4 gang switch panel...it is about $30. I plan to get a middle of the road 20" LED light bar to mount right behind front brushgard. I am going to get a winch...Heard KFI is good. 4500#. And probably want some little cube lights for top back cage. I think I want them on a switch vs. everytime I back up. Possibly a sound bar in the future but maybe not. So here is my question.

I just do NOT want to cut the safety sticker panel out myself. I can probably do it but am thinking about taking all the stuff sealed box to a motorcycle shop to install. I want clean wiring and not a mess under the hood. For someone who knows what they are doing, this cannot be more than a couple hours.

Also, talked to a shop tech who has the P1K and must ride the hell out of it. I asked him about the extra battery under the hood setup and he said unless I am taking it camping and blasting the stereo for hours.....I dont need it. Thoughts?

Im not an extreme rider....(yet) but seriously, think it will be trail riding, gravel roading vs. 3 feet of water/mud. I like to experiment but know nothing about the electronics/relay switches...and scared to death to cut a hole in my new toy...hahaa. I could probably do some of it myself but if I take it somewhere...I have someone to b**** to....ahaha. Any thoughts?

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The other option to which you asked for opinions would be to expand your horizons and let the knowledge and experience from the forum members guide you through as you learn how to do these minor additions.
That will only serve to help you better understand your machine when the inevitable failure comes along putting you in a better place to repair it.
Just a thought.
Also it took me 3 days to wire my machine up because in the end my wiring and factory wiring look identical, I will not tolerate a rats nest for wiring and I know it is protected from as much as I could manage to make it.
Everyone on here is super helpful, use it.
Your choices seems good and solid, the only thing I would suggest on them is leave room to expand and add because you will.
It seems like right now three or four switches are more that enough but trust me you will want more.
And as far as the second battery, the factory battery is marginally adequate st best so an isolator and second battery or just a new mount and big assed gel cell are gonna be your friend.
The tech that recommended it as being not needed is to my way of thinking suffering from a severe case of anal occular occlusion.
Good luck and keep us updated.
And as the mantra goes, pics or it didn't happen.

insanetreefrog

insanetreefrog

Nov 19, 2020
Lowell, AR
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here's my thoughts on a second battery: you'll need a second battery if you're doing things to drain the batteries without letting them recharge, like radio when the rig is off, or lots and lots of winch use. I don't do either, so I haven't installed a second battery, and it's been just fine for a year.
FWIW, I have a KFI winch and mount on mine, and it's been great.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's my thoughts on a second battery: you'll need a second battery if you're doing things to drain the batteries without letting them recharge, like radio when the rig is off, or lots and lots of winch use. I don't do either, so I haven't installed a second battery, and it's been just fine for a year.
FWIW, I have a KFI winch and mount on mine, and it's been great.
Same here about the battery

Reactions: Lady01
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Plan your system out. It has a limited amount of power. Use components that are marine grade. Most run power to an accessory fuse block and pull accessories off that. Add switch panel where death plate is. Light bars can draw heavy so watch that. The HondaSxS Store has a sweet plug and play rear light set up that can be switched on, on in reverse or off always. One of my favorite adds. 😎💪🏾

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Appreciate all the help and as a 40' boat owner, I fully realize what you thought would be good/big enough...never is.....hahah. I also plan to have a couple of extra switches that would be plug/play later.

I know my personality...Im far from lazy but I also hesitate to take chances doing things myself that could cause a bigger failure..haha. Wiring/Motor Work, just not my skillset. Still torn on the bigger/extra battery, I have 4 batteries on the boat because we anchor and blast the stereo, run a refrigerator, A/C, etc. I see this P700 as a day rider, hop off have a beer but not sitting around for hours nor seeing how many times I can get it stuck/winch it out in a day. I know, call me an urbanite but at least I will be able to say my machine will live an easy life....expecting it to be a LOOOOONNNNNG one.

Also, insane....can you send me your KFI winch model? I have been told they are good enough vs. the cost of a WARN. #4500?

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My opinion on the front light in brush guard...I dont use it since I added the LED head lamps. I cant even tell when it's on when they are on. So if I felt the need to have more up front I would probably go with a 50" curved at the base of the windshield. But the LED headlamps are more than adequate for my purpose. Here is what my front looks like.
20210525 192733

For the rear I agree with @Mudwing about the very easy plug and play sold in the store above. I wanted mine to work on demand instead of when in reverse just like your are thinking. So I ordered the light and kit with extra wiring to run it to a rocker instead of tying into reverse. This one gets used a lot and is very bright.
20210815 185124 2

And like @Glock21user said...pics or it didnt happen

insanetreefrog

insanetreefrog

Nov 19, 2020
Lowell, AR
Ownership

1. 700-4
My
Appreciate all the help and as a 40' boat owner, I fully realize what you thought would be good/big enough...never is.....hahah. I also plan to have a couple of extra switches that would be plug/play later.

I know my personality...Im far from lazy but I also hesitate to take chances doing things myself that could cause a bigger failure..haha. Wiring/Motor Work, just not my skillset. Still torn on the bigger/extra battery, I have 4 batteries on the boat because we anchor and blast the stereo, run a refrigerator, A/C, etc. I see this P700 as a day rider, hop off have a beer but not sitting around for hours nor seeing how many times I can get it stuck/winch it out in a day. I know, call me an urbanite but at least I will be able to say my machine will live an easy life....expecting it to be a LOOOOONNNNNG one.

Also, insane....can you send me your KFI winch model? I have been told they are good enough vs. the cost of a WARN. #4500?
My KFI winch is a stealth series SE35 3500lb winch, with their KFI winch mount. I also got the receiver hitch top that goes on top of the winch mount, it's been really handy to have a 2" receiver on the front.

insanetreefrog

insanetreefrog

Nov 19, 2020
Lowell, AR
Ownership

1. 700-4
I dunno. My winch has been good to me this far, and I'm good to it too. I use a snatch block and come back to the 2" receiver mount, so it essentially pulls double the force with twice the tow distance.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
One more dumb question as I am about to hit enter on the order for the dual backup lights.

So if I buy the dual lights from the store and the harness from Amazon, I will be able to have the following options.
a) automatically come on in reverse
b) turn on manually
c) come on in reverse but be able to switch it off?

So $120 for the lights, $10 for the additional harness?

No deal breakers in any of the options but just wanting some clarity. Im sure all are possible but looking for easiest install process.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
One more dumb question as I am about to hit enter on the order for the dual backup lights.

So if I buy the dual lights from the store and the harness from Amazon, I will be able to have the following options.
a) automatically come on in reverse
b) turn on manually
c) come on in reverse but be able to switch it off?

So $120 for the lights, $10 for the additional harness?

No deal breakers in any of the options but just wanting some clarity. Im sure all are possible but looking for easiest install process.
Did you buy the 3 way switch from the HondaSxS Store? And the harness from Amazon, is that the accessory sub harness? I thought HondaSxS had that too. 🤔

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you buy the 3 way switch from the HondaSxS Store? And the harness from Amazon, is that the accessory sub harness? I thought HondaSxS had that too. 🤔

I dont think he's bought either yet. He and I were DMing about my setup and I sent him a link to the harness I bought off amazon that included rocker and relay and the rear light package off HondaSxS store.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

I just found what he is looking for. This 3 way rocker and harness will give you switched to on, off all the time or only when in reverse

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Love all the feedback and appreciate planning your system before you start...as none of us know what we dont know. Here is what I am now looking at. Its a 5 gang switch plate with dual usb chargers. I do not know about the 5Pin or 7 Pin required...

I am thinking my switches will be used
1 - Winch
2- Backup Lights (if I decide to buy the harness from HondaSxS club
3-Potentially a small light bar
4-Potentially a soundbar....but nothing nuts w/ amps. If I go this route, I will be doing dual batteries.
5-Potentially rock lights
Alternative (May Install a dome light at some point for interiot but could always go with battery/flashlight.

Next priority though is a windshield which takes no power thank god. I have been told to get either vented or folding vs. solid. Thoughts

What am I missing...hahahaha? I can go nuts thinking about this stuff. ?
Wrestler woo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!