P1000 1000-3 fabric door quick question

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone have a 1000-3 with factory Honda roof and fabric doors? Did you trim the roof or does it adjust up enough the doors clear? I was in the process of installing mine earlier and the top section of the doors like 3/4" or so from clearing the factory roof when attempting to shut the door. I'm thinking about taping it off then cutting the sides of it a bit so the doors clear. If the roof adjust up then it's going to be high on the sides and low in the center.

Thanks!

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Try adjusting the roof up first. I didn't have any problems with mine but I also didn't use the drill templates that come with the upper panels. Hold the doors in place to drill them and they will fit much better then using the templates.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Try adjusting the roof up first. I didn't have any problems with mine but I also didn't use the drill templates that come with the upper panels. Hold the doors in place to drill them and they will fit much better then using the templates.
Thats what I did. Using zip ties I attached the door to the ROPs then marked the holes. I will say tho after doing this then checking it with the template its almost spot on so maybe they updated the template? I plan on messing with them again this afternoon. I've got to stop by fastenal and get some jacknuts and bolts as they left a few out from some reason. Looks like Im supposed to have 10 but only have 7.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I trimmed my roof. My three seater already had a two piece windshield and the hard rear panel when I installed my doors. I don't think there is enough adjustment in the windshield and rear panel to allow the roof to be raised enough for the doors to clear, at least on mine.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I trimmed my roof. My three seater already had a two piece windshield and the hard rear panel when I installed my doors. I don't think there is enough adjustment in the windshield and rear panel to allow the roof to be raised enough for the doors to clear, at least on mine.
Same here. I did attempt to move it up on my lunch break and it still hits so I will take 3/4" off this afternoon. I knew I wasn't crazy. Thanks!

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2018 with Honda hard roof and fabric doors ordered with the machine. I don't have this problem at all. Obviously something has been changed. I wonder if the fabric doors are really made by Honda. I do have a problem when towing with the doors on. The wind wants to catch the doors, and they really have to be tucked in and the Velcro fastened well. I ordered a Honda towable cover from Bike Bandit, and hopefully it will resolve this problem without any other adjustments. BTW, I didn't look to see if the Honda installer had to raise the roof, but I'll look if it'll help you.

I felt guilty about spending money to have some of this stuff installed by Honda on the new machine, but this dispels some my guilt. LOL Your dealer's installer might be able to give you a few tips, after all you spent your money there.

Reactions: elkguide
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2018 with Honda hard roof and fabric doors ordered with the machine. I don't have this problem at all. Obviously something has been changed. I wonder if the fabric doors are really made by Honda. I do have a problem when towing with the doors on. The wind wants to catch the doors, and they really have to be tucked in and the Velcro fastened well. I ordered a Honda towable cover from Bike Bandit, and hopefully it will resolve this problem without any other adjustments. BTW, I didn't look to see if the Honda installer had to raise the roof, but I'll look if it'll help you.

I felt guilty about spending money to have some of this stuff installed by Honda on the new machine, but this dispels some my guilt. LOL Your dealer's installer might be able to give you a few tips, after all you spent your money there.

I ended up trimming about 1" off each side of the roof with a multi tool. Both doors fit like a glove now

Last edited:
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I added a snap on the Velcro strap. It holds doors very tight without any part of the doors wanting to blow out. My problem is that I use mine every time it snows. So I'm towing on sloppy roads and the windshield is a mess by the time I get there. Can you let us know how that cover works out? I'm thinking that might be my solution.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How much of a pain is it to take the fabric door panels OFF/ON for the summer months?

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How much of a pain is it to take the fabric door panels OFF/ON for the summer months?
Not a pain at all. Loosen 6 bolts, remove 3 bolts and slide the doors off. Then tighten the 9 bolts, done.

Reactions: OnTheJob
advertisement
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks! That sound like the route I'm gonna take. The hard doors look like a pain to install and uninstall and then install the half door again. Not to mention that's alotta coin for a couple plastic doors. Maybe someday but for now it's going to be the fabric doors for the colder months.

Reactions: elkguide
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 20' length of 1/2 inch bungee cord on e-bay (I think) to tie around my rig while towing. This should prevent the fabric doors from trying to blow out and catch in the wind. I paid $18 for a very nice length of bungee cord. I was also interested in the comments or removing and installing the doors, and I'll take mine off when the weather warms up for sure. I am also hopeful to be able to perhaps remove my windshield and even the hard rear panel. Thanks for the question.