P1000 1000-5 Dune Capable?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all - newbie here. Not a SXS owner yet but hope to be in the near future. Have some experence with a small RZR and Terex (rented). My initial question is - is the 1000-5 dune capable? I would like to be able to use it in moderate sized dunes ( not Glamis) here in Texas maybe 10% of the time. I am also considering the RZR4 900 but like Honda products and DIMs of the 1000-5 better. Will be wife, young son, and myself 90% of the time riding. Not trying to air it out in the dunes ( been there done that got the scars ) just climb and maneuver with realative ease. My only experience in a SXS in the dunes was a stock RZR570 trail with 2 big guys and I found that it's perf was acceptable if that put my expectations into check. Any input is appreciated.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all - newbie here. Not a SXS owner yet but hope to be in the near future. Have some experence with a small RZR and Terex (rented). My initial question is - is the 1000-5 dune capable? I would like to be able to use it in moderate sized dunes ( not Glamis) here in Texas maybe 10% of the time. I am also considering the RZR4 900 but like Honda products and DIMs of the 1000-5 better. Will be wife, young son, and myself 90% of the time riding. Not trying to air it out in the dunes ( been there done that got the scars ) just climb and maneuver with realative ease. My only experience in a SXS in the dunes was a stock RZR570 trail with 2 big guys and I found that it's perf was acceptable if that put my expectations into check. Any input is appreciated.
Anyone? Bueller..

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone? Bueller..
I have zero experience with my pioneer in dunes but I can't think of any reason it would not be capable of handling them. There have been a few on here that have talk about running dunes and seem to have held there own..sorry to not be much help.BTW welcome to the club and if you decide to go with the pioneer you won't be disappointed!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone? Bueller..

Hey txsurfer, welcome to HondaSXS. I also don't have much experience with sand. However, they are awesome in the mud. They've got the power to be ok in the sand but they are a little heavy. Maybe plan on having some wider tires for your sand excursions?

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry you haven't gotten much help with this, but haven't really heard anything about sand. Mine has never been in any. Like Joey said, they will tear some mud up! Lol. And climb grades like a mountain goat. So the power is definitely there. They are heavy at 1700lbs though.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry you haven't gotten much help with this, but haven't really heard anything about sand. Mine has never been in any. Like Joey said, they will tear some mud up! Lol. And climb grades like a mountain goat. So the power is definitely there. They are heavy at 1700lbs though.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks Gents hopefully someone here will have some experience in sand. I have to believe it should be able to climb with the right tire set up

Odd_Ball

Odd_Ball

Apr 6, 2016
Williams, CA
I took my p1000 up to the Oregon sand dunes a few months after I got it. Had a blast driving it around up there and never got stuck. Couple little dunes it would spin out towards the top and would just have to reverse down. But that was probably due to more my in experience than the Honda. Also on the flatter parts I was cruising around at 30 mph or so without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I took my p1000 up to the Oregon sand dunes a few months after I got it. Had a blast driving it around up there and never got stuck. Couple little dunes it would spin out towards the top and would just have to reverse down. But that was probably due to more my in experience than the Honda. Also on the flatter parts I was cruising around at 30 mph or so without any problems.

Do you mind telling us what tires you were using?

Thank you for the feedback

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

advertisement
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have had mine at the Oregon sand dunes not a problem the trick is 5 psi in tires. Also went to the St Anthony dunes in Idaho those are very large and not a problem.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had mine at the Oregon sand dunes not a problem the trick is 5 psi in tires. Also went to the St Anthony dunes in Idaho those are very large and not a problem.

Great news - hoping to close on one Friday. Out of curiosity, what drive & tranny mode did you find worked best in the sand? My buddy usually only runs his RZR in 2WD at the dunes.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great news - hoping to close on one Friday. Out of curiosity, what drive & tranny mode did you find worked best in the sand? My buddy usually only runs his RZR in 2WD at the dunes.
high 4 wheel lock

Odd_Ball

Odd_Ball

Apr 6, 2016
Williams, CA
On the flatter stuff I was running 2wd locked in high I felt like that's where it ran best. Would switch to 4 wheel if I was trying to climb anything

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the flatter stuff I was running 2wd locked in high I felt like that's where it ran best. Would switch to 4 wheel if I was trying to climb anything

thanks again everyone..

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
sorry was in a hurry! 4 wheel lock, low tire pressure about 4 pis or so makes a big difference. we will be going back next summer was a blast. looking to do the dunes in Pahrump NV. I have put street tires and still had no problem.

bb22

bb22

May 29, 2016
OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too spent a day on the Oregon dunes. Sand was dry and soft and low pressure with stock Bighorn tires did fine. Never got stuck but I do have experience in the sand and rode smart. It felt heavy but that's to be expected. Mostly ran high two wheel lock but it did better on the steep hills in 4 wheel lock. Never ran out of power but eventually the tires would dig and I'd have to back out on the steep hills. I would love to try it with a low profile sand tire. Seemed surprisingly stable on the side hills which allowed us to get a little sporty.
On another note, it sounded like it would run up against a rev limiter when I really needed the power and wheel spin. Wasn't able to monitor the tach so not sure where it occurred. Anybody experience that?

Reactions: perry
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
A little late to the party, but I ran across this article on line and thought I would post a link.

UTV driver has a short (short on information) article on Sand Hollow State Park in Utah.
Couple of pictures and a short video and they are riding a P1k-5.

UTV Destinations: Sand Hollow State Park, Utah

After seeing all the ride opportunities in Utah why am I still living in Ohio?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little late to the party, but I ran across this article on line and thought I would post a link.

UTV driver has a short (short on information) article on Sand Hollow State Park in Utah.
Couple of pictures and a short video and they are riding a P1k-5.

UTV Destinations: Sand Hollow State Park, Utah

After seeing all the ride opportunities in Utah why am I still living in Ohio?

Wow - added to the list...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!