Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If my fronts weren't for a 1000-3 (I was replacing with linear springs, so it didn't matter), I'd have you covered. Sorry. :(

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I am curious your desire for progressive rate on a trailer.
IMHO: When you load the trailer, it's not always equal side to side. The progressive rate springs will help to keep it even better than a single rate spring, albeit at the expense of compressing a bunch of the spring(s) before you even move. Also helps when you're going over rougher, uneven terrain. Finally, the progressive rate springs do make for a better pulling unloaded trailer.

IIRC, Dodge and some other truck manufacturers who put coils on their trucks used linear rate springs, but many people swap them out for progressive rate springs. The manufacturers may have changed that up now, not sure.

Just my $0.02. I'm no suspension expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMHO: When you load the trailer, it's not always equal side to side. The progressive rate springs will help to keep it even better than a single rate spring, albeit at the expense of compressing a bunch of the spring(s) before you even move. Also helps when you're going over rougher, uneven terrain. Finally, the progressive rate springs do make for a better pulling unloaded trailer.

IIRC, Dodge and some other truck manufacturers who put coils on their trucks used linear rate springs, but many people swap them out for progressive rate springs. The manufacturers may have changed that up now, not sure.

Just my $0.02. I'm no suspension expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p
Makes sense to me.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I am curious your desire for progressive rate on a trailer.
Built lots of trailers thru the years. Tried shocks with linear springs and noticed an improvement. Never tried one with progressive springs and shocks.

My last hunting / over landing trailer had 200 lb linear springs and shocks. It was excellent for 3 - 200 lb deer and equipment. Loaded an elk in it and it bottomed out bad in rough terrain. I estimated the elk at around 1100 lbs.

Thought I’d try to get the best of both worlds. Something that would handle 600 lbs of deer and gear. Then be able to handle an elk.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Built lots of trailers thru the years. Tried shocks with linear springs and noticed an improvement. Never tried one with progressive springs and shocks.

My last hunting / over landing trailer had 200 lb linear springs and shocks. It was excellent for 3 - 200 lb deer and equipment. Loaded an elk in it and it bottomed out bad in rough terrain. I estimated the elk at around 1100 lbs.

Thought I’d try to get the best of both worlds. Something that would handle 600 lbs of deer and gear. Then be able to handle an elk.
Sounds good to me. I like the logic.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Linear shocks can handle the sheer weight - evenly distributed. But when it's under load or moving across disparate terrain, you'll notice the shortcomings.

Most trailers have leaf springs, and most leaf springs are progressive (from what I recall reading).

Am I getting any of this right, @Smitty335? :D

Last edited:
ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5

P.O.I.D.H

😉 #NTC

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Linear shocks can handle the sheer weight - evenly distributed. But when it's under load or moving across disparate terrain, you'll notice the shortcomings.

Most trailers have leaf springs, and most leaf springs are progressive (from what I recall reading).

Am I getting any of this right, @Smitty335? :D
Never ran shocks on a trailer, so I don't know? I've always wanted to try a trailer with the torsion axels though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!