P1000 1000-5 Pioneer No Low Gear

D

Dustinw251

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Franklinton, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First of all my Bike is 100% stock with honda windshield and Top. My problem originated after getting water in the subtransmission. The bike would run fine in High Gear up to 60 MPH but would not shift into low gear. However just messing around on the Roads at my hunting lease, I could hold the shift lever in the low position and it would lock in and haul tail. but soon as I took my hand off the lever it would fall out of gear. THe dealer has flushed the Sub Tranny and played with all the cable adjustments and It only had 12 Miles on it when this happened. We did get hung up on a stump in a watery trail and amongst tryin to get off of it filled with water. I read an earlier post in reguards to overfill of the tranny not allowing for low gear which would possibly explain the reason for no low when it was full of water but have any of you experienced any other issues similar to this. And did you have any other outcomes. Bent shift forks or such. The dealer is swearing that there is nothing the water could have done that it would have burnt the torque converter if anything but that isn't my case here. After mentioning the overfill on the Sub tranny he verified the correct amount of oil. Im sure they will come up with something this week or beginning of next, Guess im just not mechanically inclined enough to understand how it functions to diagnose a problem. lol.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First of all my Bike is 100% stock with honda windshield and Top. My problem originated after getting water in the subtransmission. The bike would run fine in High Gear up to 60 MPH but would not shift into low gear. However just messing around on the Roads at my hunting lease, I could hold the shift lever in the low position and it would lock in and haul tail. but soon as I took my hand off the lever it would fall out of gear. THe dealer has flushed the Sub Tranny and played with all the cable adjustments and It only had 12 Miles on it when this happened. We did get hung up on a stump in a watery trail and amongst tryin to get off of it filled with water. I read an earlier post in reguards to overfill of the tranny not allowing for low gear which would possibly explain the reason for no low when it was full of water but have any of you experienced any other issues similar to this. And did you have any other outcomes. Bent shift forks or such. The dealer is swearing that there is nothing the water could have done that it would have burnt the torque converter if anything but that isn't my case here. After mentioning the overfill on the Sub tranny he verified the correct amount of oil. Im sure they will come up with something this week or beginning of next, Guess im just not mechanically inclined enough to understand how it functions to diagnose a problem. lol.
If your dealer said the the words "torque converter" when referring to a Pioneer 1000, I'd run, not walk, but RUN from that dealership!!!

Reactions: Cuoutdoors and JTW
T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
Sounds to me like a cable adjustment issue or worn shift dogs in the subtransmission. When you hold the lever to get it into low range, is the shifter resting against the bottom of the notch in the dash?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Your issue of not shifting into Low range, as you described it is the shift cable out of adjustment. That's why it will stay when you hold it and jumps out of gear when you don't. It is possible but unlikely a shift fork could have been bent, I did bend one keeping mine from shifting into reverse after getting in a bad spot on a downhill trying to get out, however I got pretty rough with it to bend that fork.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Pioneer 1000 has clutches, no torque converter. Other models (700) have it. I had a similar problem with the shift lever not staying in low.. Bought maintenance guide, adjusted by the book. Been perfect ever since.

D

Dustinw251

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Franklinton, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately in my case is was busted gears. Apparently it got shifted when we were stuck while wheels were still rolling. It sat for about a month at the dealer but thankfully we back rolling now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great to hear!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!