Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finished this up finally.

View attachment 78859
Been one of the best mods.. I went riding yesterday over some rocky trails - don’t think I heard the contents rattle. I may go back and install a hinge at the bottom as the angle of the top makes it a little harder to latch when using all latches.

Going to do the rear section today.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Been one of the best mods.. I went riding yesterday over some rocky trails - don’t think I heard the contents rattle. I may go back and install a hinge at the bottom as the angle of the top makes it a little harder to latch when using all latches.

Going to do the rear section today.
So in your opinion the hinge is the best way to go? I have the latchs and ready to start on mine.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So in your opinion the hinge is the best way to go? I have the latchs and ready to start on mine.
I started on this the other day. I tried using 1/8" rivets and they were not long enough to capture hinge with a washer. I have 1/8x1/2" on order right now.

My install was 3/16" drill thru panel for latch bolt. Chuck bolt in cordless drill, run into panel until threads are even with panel. Install latch onto body panel.
Hinge was easy so far. Had to cut some webbing off the panel, and a semi-circle on the hinge for it to lay flat. When the longer rivets show up, I plan to hang the body panel on the studs and hot glue the hinge to the door for alignment. Then open, drill, fasten hinge.

IMG 20180615 190729

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t compare yet, I like the latches but they are not as smooth clicking on the top ones on my rig as the ones for Joey and Glock in their videos. I will see @GlockMeister next weekend at Mac Pines and I will have a comparison.
But I am bringing my hinges and stuff to put them on if that tells you anything ...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can’t compare yet, I like the latches but they are not as smooth clicking on the top ones on my rig as the ones for Joey and Glock in their videos. I will see @GlockMeister next weekend at Mac Pines and I will have a comparison.
But I am bringing my hinges and stuff to put them on if that tells you anything ...

With the stud screwed into the doors, you can use some pliers and bend them downward so they match the arch of the door as it is swinging it up. I did not use anything like leather to protect the studs so I scratched it a little bit. I had to sand it back down. I also put some lithium grease on the ball end of the stud to help lubricate the latches.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the stud screwed into the doors, you can use some pliers and bend them downward so they match the arch of the door as it is swinging it up. I did not use anything like leather to protect the studs so I scratched it a little bit. I had to sand it back down. I also put some lithium grease on the ball end of the stud to help lubricate the latches.

Worked like a charm.. still going to go back and clean up the end of the studs but a 1000 times better already

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Followed up with the back cut out today originally I bought red buttons Incase I was going to put first aid in there. Now I am not 100% what I will put in there - maybe treesaver and tire plugs.

Pic of the hole @joeymt33 spoke about

01B721D4 3997 463B A081 DECD4507374E 50F03A8A FDAE 4686 B30F D4B7943B31CE 86689E9E D729 495D B2AF 4A7245FD7746
Need to go back and clean up the cut a little

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Finished up the latches this weekend. Ended up using 3 to latch (2 top and 1 on bottom back. Did anyone trim the back side of panel for latches or does you guys panel stick out away from door a little farther? My drivers side is almost perfect as far as latches lining up but passengers side (which was first side) the hinge was off a little and I had to bend the studs down a little but works, looks good and was a great idea, thanks whoever came up with it first. I think either I am going to have to add a latch of some sort on inside door or go ahead and cut it off. It wants to be a pia when closing. With my panels not being tight against door I would rather leave them to hinder dust and moisture. Oh and the cooler idea In one of the doors, I give up. By the time you try to put anything for insulation there is no room. Lol.

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Finished up the latches this weekend. Ended up using 3 to latch (2 top and 1 on bottom back. Did anyone trim the back side of panel for latches or does you guys panel stick out away from door a little farther? My drivers side is almost perfect as far as latches lining up but passengers side (which was first side) the hinge was off a little and I had to bend the studs down a little but works, looks good and was a great idea, thanks whoever came up with it first. I think either I am going to have to add a latch of some sort on inside door or go ahead and cut it off. It wants to be a pia when closing. With my panels not being tight against door I would rather leave them to hinder dust and moisture. Oh and the cooler idea In one of the doors, I give up. By the time you try to put anything for insulation there is no room. Lol.
Send all warranty issues to @GlockMeister, HA!:)

Reactions: BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have noticed that the centerpiece can come loose on these latches. You can use some snap ring pliers and back them out a little bit and put Loctite on them and turn them back down. It doesn’t take that long. I’ve had two failed to work because they had unscrewed so far that the check balls had fallen out.

You could probably also use an automatic center punch and ping the threads, that may keep them from unscrewing.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh yeah, don’t think you’re going to tighten them up real good because I think there’s only two threads and they will strip.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh yeah, don’t think you’re going to tighten them up real good because I think there’s only two threads and they will strip.
I left the studs a little long. Drilled a hole through the plastic, then put a backing nut on the inside.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I left the studs a little long. Drilled a hole through the plastic, then put a backing nut on the inside.

I did the same. Also bent them down just a touch since the panel moves in an arch. But...

I’m talking about the innerds of the latch itself. It unscrews with some snap ring pliers. The inside piece will become loose.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did the same. Also bent them down just a touch since the panel moves in an arch. But...

I’m talking about the innerds of the latch itself. It unscrews with some snap ring pliers. The inside piece will become loose.
Got blue Loctite, I'll do that when I take on the rear door mod. Thanks for the idea and tips. This is a great place to be associated with.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!