GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@joeymt33 do you hear the little chain rattling at all? @GlockMeister and I were going back and forth and I think we both might try some old web straps that will fold up.
Yep thats my plan.. got the hole cut..gonna try to get them both finished up tonight.
20180517 194628
You sure can fit alot of stuff in there
20180517 195945

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@joeymt33 do you hear the little chain rattling at all? @GlockMeister and I were going back and forth and I think we both might try some old web straps that will fold up.

Not over the HMF and radio. :)

Actually I don’t think I’ve ever heard it. But strap would be great too.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This idea is too cool not to do. I just wander how much I'm going to freak out the wife when she sees me cutting on the doors. Lol. Maybe I can find time to do it while she isn't home and show her the end result. I really like the cooler idea also. I'm continually amazed by all the ideas you guys keep coming up with on these machines. Honda aught to hire ya all for improvements.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, great idea/job! My ONLY concern/question to those that have already done the mod ....... After some time passing is all still good with the door hinges opening/shutting with the extra weight???

Also If I understood correctly, it was necessary to add 'spacers' between the piano hinge and red trim plate, to make it fit correctly??

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Man, great idea/job! My ONLY concern/question to those that have already done the mod ....... After some time passing is all still good with the door hinges opening/shutting with the extra weight???

Also If I understood correctly, it was necessary to add 'spacers' between the piano hinge and red trim plate, to make it fit correctly??

No spacers really needed for spacing the panel out. You just need something to fill the gaps since the inside of the panel has ridges.

I haven’t had an issue with the hinges yet. If I did I would replace them with those from RB3. So far they are solid.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No spacers really needed for spacing the panel out. You just need something to fill the gaps since the inside of the panel has ridges.

I haven’t had an issue with the hinges yet. If I did I would replace them with those from RB3. So far they are solid.
How did you go about assuring proper alignment with bolts holes while attaching the piano hinge?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I trimmed the ridges down with a razor knife.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you go about assuring proper alignment with bolts holes while attaching the piano hinge?

I put the hinge on the trim panel first then mounted the trim panel with all the factory bolts so the panel lined up.

I put painters tape on the black door plastic and marked where the exposed portion of the hinge went.

Then I took the factory bolts out lined the hinge up with the marks on the tape drilled a hole and inserted a rivet, went to the other und of the hinge lined it up and drilled a hole inserted a rivet. Closed it checked for alignment with factory holes.

The first one was about an 1/8” off on the hinge so I had to redrill a rivet hole.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the hinge on the trim panel first then mounted the trim panel with all the factory bolts so the panel lined up.

I put painters tape on the black door plastic and marked where the exposed portion of the hinge went.

Then I took the factory bolts out lined the hinge up with the marks on the tape drilled a hole and inserted a rivet, went to the other und of the hinge lined it up and drilled a hole inserted a rivet. Closed it checked for alignment with factory holes.

The first one was about an 1/8” off on the hinge so I had to redrill a rivet hole.
I am sure I am missing something, since I no first hand experience with painters tape. Seems the red trim panel would be covering the black plastic making it hard to mark the hinge ...... what am I missing? Is the hinge 'imprinting' the tape once bolted up?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am sure I am missing something, since I no first hand experience with painters tape. Seems the red trim panel would be covering the black plastic making it hard to mark the hinge ...... what am I missing? Is the hinge 'imprinting' the tape once bolted up?
The tape is just to outline the hinge that way when you remove the panel bolts you have something to index the hinge on.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!