P1000m5 1000-5 Rear Door Inside Storage Modification

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am sure I am missing something, since I no first hand experience with painters tape. Seems the red trim panel would be covering the black plastic making it hard to mark the hinge ...... what am I missing? Is the hinge 'imprinting' the tape once bolted up?
I haven't done it yet. YET. it's coming, but had envisioned putting the tape below where the hinge goes so you can place the hinge on top of tape when realigning to drill. I will cut tape exact length of hinge for proper left to right adjustment.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't done it yet. YET. it's coming, but had envisioned putting the tape below where the hinge goes so you can place the hinge on top of tape when realigning to drill. I will cut tape exact length of hinge for proper left to right adjustment.
Seems the red trim panel would still have the drill holes locations, in hinge covered .... what am I looking at the wrong way???

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tape is just to outline the hinge that way when you remove the panel bolts you have something to index the hinge on.

Exactly since you can't mark the position of the panel with holes through the hinge its easiest to mark the position of the hinge then open the panel and put the hinge in the same place it was when the panels was closed. The marks on the painters tape are gone when you remove the painters/masking tape but marks on the black doors are a PITA to remove.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am sure I am missing something, since I no first hand experience with painters tape. Seems the red trim panel would be covering the black plastic making it hard to mark the hinge ...... what am I missing? Is the hinge 'imprinting' the tape once bolted up?

I know the pictures and statements are jumbled up on this thread it was a merged thread so it doesn't flow as well as it could.

Step by step (how I did it)

1)Remove the factory plastics.
2)Place hinge along the lower portion shown in this picture there is a ridge inline with the center of the hole on the left side of hinge in this picture
Ae3b59a8 4b1b 4e9c 8cf5 90b1b1a8a46b jpeg

3)Trim the ridge flush with a razor knife
4) Install hinge using rivets
5) Cut the holes out of the doors as shown in the picture above with saw(any woodworking blade will do.
6)Place painters tape on factory door in area of the hinge.
7)Remount factory plastic with factory bolts
8)Mark position of the hinge WELL
9)Remove the plastic
10)Might need help with this step, line the hinge up with the marks you made on the tape and drill a hole into the door toward one end of the hinge. Insert rivet (use a rivet washer on the back) and fasten the hinge to the door. Repeat on other end so that the holes you just drilled are both guaranteed to line up.
11) Check to make sure all the factory holes line up when the panel is closed and you can get the bolts in, if so drill holes for the remaining rivets and fasten to the door.
12)Lather rinse and repeat on the opposite door.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know the pictures and statements are jumbled up on this thread it was a merged thread so it doesn't flow as well as it could.

Step by step:( how I did it)

1)Remove the factory plastics.
2)Place hinge along the lower portion shown in this picture there is a ridge inline with the center of the hole on the left side of hinge in this picture
View attachment 77218

3)Trim the ridge flush with a razor knife
4) Install hinge using rivets
5) Cut the holes out of the doors as shown in the picture above with saw(any woodworking blade will do.
6)Place painters tape on factory door in area of the hinge.
7)Remount factory plastic with factory bolts
8)Mark position of the hinge WELL
9)Remove the plastic
10)Might need help with this step, line the hinge up with the marks you made on the tape and drill a hole into the door toward one end of the hinge. Insert rivet (use a rivet washer on the back) and fasten the hinge to the door. Repeat on other end so that the holes you just drilled are both guaranteed to line up.
11) Check to make sure all the factory holes line up when the panel is closed and you can get the bolts in, if so drill holes for the remaining rivets and fasten to the door.
12)Lather rinse and repeat on the opposite door.
Thanks

J

JTW

I’m going to make this easy for anyone interested in doing it... These just came in today and they’re the same thread pattern as the panel nuts. The only modification I can see is the color panels will need the holes expanded to a 3/4 hole for the push button threaded shaft. You’ll need 12 in total but this is as cheap as I could find them. I’ll update after I get the rest in and do the cutting. Also, NOTE.. they only come as single units even though the pic shows 2!

729E5EB2 6699 4389 8B09 9BD7E68CAE21

Black Universal Push Buttons Billet Hood Pin Lock Clips Kit Auto Car Quick Latch 692464666344 | eBay

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the guys that don’t want to drill into your plastics for the piano hinge you could simply buy the threaded bolts that @JTW has above and just set the panel to the side each time you were looking for something inside the door panel. I don’t think it would be that inconvenient. I have the camo plastics and if I do this mod I won’t be putting a hinge on those expensive panels.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the guys that don’t want to drill into your plastics for the piano hinge you could simply buy the threaded bolts that @JTW has above and just set the panel to the side each time you were looking for something inside the door panel. I don’t think it would be that inconvenient. I have the camo plastics and if I do this mod I won’t be putting a hinge on those expensive panels.

I’m going this route also. Ordered my pins today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is an option I was already considering, but using different bolts.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I can agree with the camo, but you are cutting a giant hole in the door....

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I’m going this route also. Ordered my pins today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found the doors on hinges to be very useful like a table when laid flat. It gives the wife a surface to make sandwiches on or it can be used for anything else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!