• Thread starter Rackpioneer1000-5
  • Start date
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And it doesn't move at all! I love these ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's good to hear.....I haven't gotten out on the road with them yet. I used t-nuts to attach so I can remove the cradles if they're in the way....I've been doubting myself ever since. But that's not the fault of the system...seems very secure.

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is how I do mine...

E-track on trailer, tie at least 2 tires to the trailer, and let the suspension work the way it is intended. Rock solid on Highway and off road. Easy on and off.

The e-track can be purchased at most hardware type stores (Tractor Supply, Cal Ranch, etc). It is relatively inexpensive, but strong. It lays flat on the trailer deck without being in the way when the trailer is needed for plywood/drywall/et al.

20151118 155756 20151118 155805

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Man. This post has got me.

I bought some chains on Amazon. When the came in today, they are HUGE. Way too big to be practical.

There's a real issue with me and dimensions / sizes.

Words like 3/8 and 3/4 and 5/16 and 1/2. All difficult to comprehend... so I get these MONSTER unusable chains that are laughable, but too expensive to warrant the return shipping charge. lol

They had a 5 star rating, tho!

Kinda like this spotlight I bought last year!
IMG 4638

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

Man. This post has got me.

I bought some chains on Amazon. When the came in today, they are HUGE. Way too big to be practical.

There's a real issue with me and dimensions / sizes.

Words like 3/8 and 3/4 and 5/16 and 1/2. All difficult to comprehend... so I get these MONSTER unusable chains that are laughable, but too expensive to warrant the return shipping charge. lol

They had a 5 star rating, tho!

Kinda like this spotlight I bought last year!
View attachment 39851
Bhahahahaha!!! I'm not even going there!!

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
D

dealer6

Feb 1, 2017
Hubbard
Here is how I do mine...

E-track on trailer, tie at least 2 tires to the trailer, and let the suspension work the way it is intended. Rock solid on Highway and off road. Easy on and off.

The e-track can be purchased at most hardware type stores (Tractor Supply, Cal Ranch, etc). It is relatively inexpensive, but strong. It lays flat on the trailer deck without being in the way when the trailer is needed for plywood/drywall/et al.

View attachment 39847 View attachment 39850

How do you like your Viking?
I sold mine to get my P1K, needed more seats and wanted more power

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the problem with compressing the suspension?

I prefer a less dynamic load and compressed suspension along with proper tie down placement accomplishes that.

I'll take pictures this evening after I get it loaded for riding tomorrow.

J

Jshell3

What is the problem with compressing the suspension?

I prefer a less dynamic load and compressed suspension along with proper tie down placement accomplishes that.

I'll take pictures this evening after I get it loaded for riding tomorrow.
Yeah. NOT compressing the suspension caused me to rethink my whole tie down strategy.

So I bought this last night.
IMG 4640
IMG 4641
IMG 4642
IMG 4643

Reactions: ripHST and JTW
J

JTW

Yeah. NOT compressing the suspension caused me to rethink my whole tie down strategy.

So I bought this last night.
View attachment 39857 View attachment 39858 View attachment 39859 View attachment 39860
Which is??

The only ways, I can see, you can strap it down without compressing the suspension is over the wheels. Or I guess a feller could always put sized blocks under the frame and strap it down to the bumpers or wherever, without compressing the suspension.

Reactions: Jshell3
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run the strap between the front transfer case and the frame. It's pain to get the strap through. I hook the straps to the top rails of may trailer which pull straight forward and a strap over the ball in the hitch hooked to the back of the trailer. Does not move and there is no compression on the suspension.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is there an aversion to compressing the suspension?

Honda shows to tie it down via the ROPS and bumper which will compress the suspension. If there does end up being any shock damage it'd be on them right?

Reactions: KFC and sharp
J

JTW

Honda shows to tie it down via the ROPS and bumper which will compress the suspension. If there does end up being any shock damage it'd be on them right?
I agree..

Reactions: sharp
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I've compressed the suspension on my bikes for years while trailering and have yet to have an issue with seals or anything. I wouldn't recommend compressing it to the stop or leaving it compressed for long periods of time (days, as opposed to hours), but I doubt it's an issue. As you say, Honda recommends it. One thing to keep in mind though is that by compressing the suspension when you tie down, you're also relying on the suspension to keep the straps taught. Unless you've got something to capture the hooks so they don't fall off, you could come unhooked as the suspension compresses further. I've had bikes lose a strap before and suspected this was the cause. I don't do that anymore if I can avoid it.

Reactions: sharp
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've compressed the suspension on my bikes for years while trailering and have yet to have an issue with seals or anything. I wouldn't recommend compressing it to the stop or leaving it compressed for long periods of time (days, as opposed to hours), but I doubt it's an issue. As you say, Honda recommends it. One thing to keep in mind though is that by compressing the suspension when you tie down, you're also relying on the suspension to keep the straps taught. Unless you've got something to capture the hooks so they don't fall off, you could come unhooked as the suspension compresses further. I've had bikes lose a strap before and suspected this was the cause. I don't do that anymore if I can avoid it.

This... my opinion on compressing is very similar. The biggest downside I see is not hooking the correct way and losing a strap.. then 2 etc. I can tell you inside my toyhauler if it shifts much at all it hits. I have some new floor attachments to install this weekend and also two of the drive over wheel chocks I'm going to put in for the back wheels. Hauling 1000 miles each way inside where I can't see it means it has to be right.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This... my opinion on compressing is very similar. The biggest downside I see is not hooking the correct way and losing a strap.. then 2 etc. I can tell you inside my toyhauler if it shifts much at all it hits. I have some new floor attachments to install this weekend and also two of the drive over wheel chocks I'm going to put in for the back wheels. Hauling 1000 miles each way inside where I can't see it means it has to be right.

agree....how you hook it up becomes critical if the suspension is in play. And I bet hauling in an enclosed trailer increases the pucker factor a lot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!