Reactions: Jshell3
Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got these from Cabelas. Work great. Got tired of breaking straps from the roll cage (I'll admit they were cheaper ratchet straps but I went through 4 last fall). I also put a single strap on the front bumper to keep it from bouncing.
Download

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
I guess there's 3 reasons for me. From hauling dirt bikes I was always told it was hard on the fork seals so I would put one of those things between the tire and lower triple clamp to cinch down to.

Second is I've had straps come free when the suspension would compress and straps come loose.

And third which I just recently learned (since I always used to just strap to bumpers) it trailers a noticeable bit better. You can hit a bump or an overpass and watch in mirror the machine will absorb the bump just like it was rolling. You feel less feedback at the truck because the trailer isn't taking that full hit and it has to be easier on the trailers hubs and axles.

Just my .02.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have noticed I have to tighten the back before the front otherwise, one if not both of the rear straps come loose even if I have it as close to the bumps as I can get it, without using a cheater bar. Don't know why but if I tighten the rear first it's far more stable.

Trailer hubs and tires are cheap compared to it swaying and rocking and causing instability.

To me it's too dynamic with bumps, wind, and turbulence from trucks. If I take a cloverleaf entrance ramp a bit too fast that sucker is now a dynamic load that is LEANING. Instead of being slightly lower and static load.

I've got a full size crew and when it sways I feel it.

Reactions: JTW
eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hm I'm not a trucker but if you're on a cloverleaf the weight of the machine is pushing to the outside of the trailer whether it's "leaning" or not. Anywho different strokes

Reactions: MNnice
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hm I'm not a trucker but if you're on a cloverleaf the weight of the machine is pushing to the outside of the trailer whether it's "leaning" or not. Anywho different strokes

You are correct but it's not dynamic it cannot shift the center of mass suddenly and drastically if you were to hit a bump or have to swerve. I have had to swerve and brake very hard once while towing the Pioneer and it probably didn't but I swear the wheel of the trailer came off the ground. I was not happy, I shouldn't have but I rolled the window down and had some choice words to say.

I drive a LOT and sometimes have had to make sudden lane changes because of idiot drivers, texting and driving is stupid.

I think the only time to use wheel bonnets is on showcars where you can't do any damage to the finish or they deduct points for it.

I wouldn't leave it tied down for more than overnight and a trip to the trails, in fear of issues.

I'm gonna stand by my opinion that a static load is a more stable and secure load than a dynamic one.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct but it's not dynamic it cannot shift the center of mass suddenly and drastically if you were to hit a bump or have to swerve. I have had to swerve and brake very hard once while towing the Pioneer and it probably didn't but I swear the wheel of the trailer came off the ground. I was not happy, I shouldn't have but I rolled the window down and had some choice words to say.

I drive a LOT and sometimes have had to make sudden lane changes because of idiot drivers, texting and driving is stupid.

I think the only time to use wheel bonnets is on showcars where you can't do any damage to the finish or they deduct points for it.

I wouldn't leave it tied down for more than overnight and a trip to the trails, in fear of issues.

I'm gonna stand by my opinion that a static load is a more stable and secure load than a dynamic one.

I think you make a good point.....the downside to strapping the wheels is that you have more movement, and that can be bad.(ask a pilot) In either case (strapping the wheels or the sprung mass) there are plusses and minuses that need to be accounted for. If you're aware of them, either method will work.

J

Jshell3

See. Clearly says 3/8... but 3/8ths, what??

IMG 4648

Stupid Amazon.

G

gsiebrecht

Aug 22, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is how I do mine...

E-track on trailer, tie at least 2 tires to the trailer, and let the suspension work the way it is intended. Rock solid on Highway and off road. Easy on and off.

The e-track can be purchased at most hardware type stores (Tractor Supply, Cal Ranch, etc). It is relatively inexpensive, but strong. It lays flat on the trailer deck without being in the way when the trailer is needed for plywood/drywall/et al.

View attachment 39847 View attachment 39850

Exactly what I did.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man. This post has got me.

I bought some chains on Amazon. When the came in today, they are HUGE. Way too big to be practical.

There's a real issue with me and dimensions / sizes.

Words like 3/8 and 3/4 and 5/16 and 1/2. All difficult to comprehend... so I get these MONSTER unusable chains that are laughable, but too expensive to warrant the return shipping charge. lol

They had a 5 star rating, tho!

Kinda like this spotlight I bought last year!
View attachment 39851
Looking at your earlier post it didn't seam that way.

Reactions: Jshell3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!