1000R Steering Worse after SuperATV Tie Rods

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I installed SuperATV's Tie Rods back in October of last year and I have been trying to figure out the issue. I have had the alignment checked using a alignment machine and I think I have figured out the issue. The SuperATV Inner Tie Rods have built in steering stops in them and I emailed SuperATV support and with all that is going on they are not getting back with me and today I called for an update but nothing from them as of yet. I attached some pictures, let me know what ya think. I also have purchased a 1000X steering rack and will be installing it soon.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Honda Inner Tie Rod SuperATV Inner Tie Rod

Reactions: Biteme
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
  1. Is it just to the left? If so, your steering wheel was not installed to the center of the rack. Mine was like this and I had to center the rack and then remove and center the wheel then reset the toe to center the tires to the rack.
  2. The measurement you posted is not what makes the steering stop. You need to take the tie rod end off and measure this part and compare the SATV one to the stock one...

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
  1. Is it just to the left? If so, your steering wheel was not installed to the center of the rack. Mine was like this and I had to center the rack and then remove and center the wheel then reset the toe to center the tires to the rack.
  2. The measurement you posted is not what makes the steering stop. You need to take the tie rod end off and measure this part and compare the SATV one to the stock one...

View attachment 193479
The super atv one does not have the section you showed in the edited image. It is flat and the section you mocked up goes into the stock steering rack.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The super atv one does not have the section you showed in the edited image. It is flat and the section you mocked up goes into the stock steering rack.
and straight with the world
Who installed your SuperATV Arms? If there not right? And straight with the world, you will drive yourself nuts!

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme and Russ989
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well then, that is your problem. That "shouldered" area on the stock tie rod end goes into the rack and allows the rack to turn further (or is that farther).

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well then, that is your problem. That "shouldered" area on the stock tie rod end goes into the rack and allows the rack to turn further (or is that farther).
I agree and I am trying to make SuperATV fix it but I am not going to hold my breath. I am going to send these pictures to them along with a picture of the stock set.

A02606FE 9D47 463E 8B19 1EA7564F5727 07E7FF25 AD7F 4388 B21C 1FE1AB168379

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Super ATV is a pretty good vendor. You might have to be a little patient with the current situation but they will get back to you.

Also, What you posted doesn't show if there is a shoulder on that tie rod end or not. You should turn the wheel the other way so the internal rack shows and take a pic at the most perpendicular angle you can.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Super ATV is a pretty good vendor. You might have to be a little patient with the current situation but they will get back to you.

Also, What you posted doesn't show if there is a shoulder on that tie rod end or not. You should turn the wheel the other way so the internal rack shows and take a pic at the most perpendicular angle you can.
If they would take care of there non-greaseable bushings in there A Arms I would think more of them.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
If they would take care of there non-greaseable bushings in there A Arms I would think more of them.
I know they are a good vendor, wasn’t trying to bash them at all. I took better measurements tonight and they seem to be really close. I don’t think it is an issue with their product I now stand corrected. I just swapped out the rack for a 1000x so hopefully it will make it better. Also as far as they not responding yet I completely understand with everything that is going on. That is why I posted on here.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know they are a good vendor, wasn’t trying to bash them at all. I took better measurements tonight and they seem to be really close. I don’t think it is an issue with their product I now stand corrected. I just swapped out the rack for a 1000x so hopefully it will make it better. Also as far as they not responding yet I completely understand with everything that is going on. That is why I posted on here.
I would take a look at your A Arms, this site will have measurements for the adjustments, it's a pain, but I really feel that's where you need to start. Then do a string line down the center of your frame, set your A Arms, rear and front, this will require you to remove the bottom anchoring points to turn the adjusting knuckle"s, it's a pain in the butt, then do the alignment. Just remember straight is straight.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would take a look at your A Arms, this site will have measurements for the adjustments, it's a pain, but I really feel that's where you need to start. Then do a string line down the center of your frame, set your A Arms, rear and front, this will require you to remove the bottom anchoring points to turn the adjusting knuckle"s, it's a pain in the butt, then do the alignment. Just remember straight is straight.

Thought that was it too but I put it on an alignment machine and it is within spec.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just recently installed SATV HD tie rods and 4” portals on my Pioneer. I immediately noticed my steering is very limited. I bought brackets that’s supposed to allow me to remove the steering stops (plastic clips) from the rack but now you have me wondering if it’s same thing yours is

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have SATV a-arms (1000-3) and didn't install the steering stops. I haven't had any issues. I also had it machine aligned and tires balanced. It's spot on and drives great.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Hey! There shouldn't be any steering stop busing with just the tie rod kit. The Inner ball and socked should be pretty much within the same specs as your stock unit. If you have the forward arms, they would include the steering stop bushings. They will limit your steering so you don't over steer and risk binding axles or pinching a CV boot....but like @russknight said, a lot of guys just don't run them. If you leave them off, you just need to watch your axle angles when you get into more extreme situations when at full drop and full turn. You can easily avoid any issues if you're just watching and conscious of it if you're not going to use the bushings.
Glad you kinda got it figured out anyway, and sorry for the delay. We're running on a bit of a skeleton crew in the office right now with all of this going on.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes mine has stops from front arched arms but they have been there forever and I was used to that steering reduction. But I added my HD tie rods and portals at same time and my steering really sucks now. I bet a Ranger Crew could turn tighter than me now so something is up. I just haven’t had time to dig into it and see

Reactions: Biteme and SuperATV
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Now...portals are a different story. You have an 8" wider machine now, so the extra width really cuts down on your steering radius. Its like comparing the steering radius of a trail machine to a long travel machine or adding big wheel spacers. Extra width will definitely effect your steering radius.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Hey! There shouldn't be any steering stop busing with just the tie rod kit. The Inner ball and socked should be pretty much within the same specs as your stock unit. If you have the forward arms, they would include the steering stop bushings. They will limit your steering so you don't over steer and risk binding axles or pinching a CV boot....but like @russknight said, a lot of guys just don't run them. If you leave them off, you just need to watch your axle angles when you get into more extreme situations when at full drop and full turn. You can easily avoid any issues if you're just watching and conscious of it if you're not going to use the bushings.
Glad you kinda got it figured out anyway, and sorry for the delay. We're running on a bit of a skeleton crew in the office right now with all of this going on.

Got my windshield. Shipping was FAST!!!! Hope to install it tomorrow. Thanks again!

H

HondaTech

Everything in the rack is the same between R/X/X4, the difference seems to be the case itself.

Not sure what is different, but the rack and shaft are same part numbers.

Reactions: Biteme and TerryH
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Everything in the rack is the same between R/X/X4, the difference seems to be the case itself.

Not sure what is different, but the rack and shaft are same part numbers.
The rack housing is wider on the R and it restricts movement. This causes a difference of 6 degrees inward and outward turning radius...

X housing looks like this...

R housing looks like this...

Reactions: Biteme and CID
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excuse me for the derail, your tie rod issue related to mine but I will move on to Pioneer thread. Sorry

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!