RB3 steering racks, which size?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Does anyone have any experience with the RB3 racks and if the bigger one (12 or 14) is needed? I need 2-3 racks and so price point is a thing since I need more than one. I would need 1 for an RLV and 2 for an R. Also debating on doing a support plate at the same time. Thanks for you help!

IMG 2128
IMG 2127
IMG 2126

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would bet that if you reached out to @RB3offroad, they would walk you thru what is needed, and work on the pricing for you.
I have zero idea what the differences between the racks are.

Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have both the 1:1 and the quick turn 1.5:1 rack and much prefer the quick turn. I have no idea what the 12 or 14 signifies. That option wasn't available when I bought mine. There isn't any info on their website either.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have both the 1:1 and the quick turn 1.5:1 rack and much prefer the quick turn. I have no idea what the 12 or 14 signifies. That option wasn't available when I bought mine. There isn't any info on their website either.
Thanks for the info. I was tempted by the quicker steering but I wondered how touchy it would feel on pavement and my kids drive mine a lot too. Do feel anyone can jump in and not be out of control with the quicker ratio? Also is the poor power steering effected more by the quicker ratio? I didn’t have anyone with real world experience, so thanks.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think (don't bet on this) the 12 or 14 signifies the thread size of the inner tie rod holes in the rack. 12mm would be stock? and 14mm is oversize? I honestly don't know but that's what sounds logical to me and corresponds with their inner tie rod clevis offerings.

Speaking of those.... How do we feel about the inner steering heim being held in the clevis with a pin and C clips? I want zero play between the heim joint and clevis and run a brand that uses a bolt to achieve that. I can't see how the RB3 offering doesn't have or develop play immediately. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Hometeam and CID
Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info. I was tempted by the quicker steering but I wondered how touchy it would feel on pavement and my kids drive mine a lot too. Do feel anyone can jump in and not be out of control with the quicker ratio? Also is the poor power steering effected more by the quicker ratio? I didn’t have anyone with real world experience, so thanks.
I would strongly recommend upgrading the power steering at the same time. I replaced the stock rack with the 1:1 RB3 rack but was having issues with the stock power steering assist dropping out at the worst times. On steep downhills when more weight is transferred to the front wheels the stock unit couldn't handle it. When I upgraded to the SATV power steering, I decided to try the quick turn, and am glad I did. With the wheels straight ahead, I'm at full lock with a little over a half turn of the steering wheel in either direction. It handles good and feels stable on pavement also. Pm me it you would like a good deal on a slightly used 1:1 RB3 rack.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!