P500 10W-30 vs 10W-40 ??

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I see in the manual for my 2022 P520 that it recommends 10W-30 oil, but that 10W-40 is also acceptable for my local climate.

Under what circumstances would I want to use 10W-40 rather than 10W-30?

It seldom sees a high speed run (maybe an occasional run down to the mailbox a mile away, but that is rare, since they are not legal on roads here.) 90+% of the time it is low speed: below 15 MPH with occasional runs up to 20 or 25MPH. I use it year round, plowing the driveway in the winter, and working in the woods year round (sometime hauling a 1000# trailer of firewood). I'm in Vermont, so only rarely see temperatures in the 90s F (and tend not to be out working in that temperature if I can avoid it). It's sometimes used in 10˚F and rarely lower weather, but stored in a +/-45˚ drive-out basement of my shop, so it does not tend to see many really cold starts.

Given my use and my climate, I'm thinking no reason to switch to something other than 10W-30. Is there any reason to reconsider?

NOTE: I'm well aware of the TYPE of oil recommended for use in the engine/DCT. I really don't want to get in to another "Oil Wars" debate on dino vs synthetic or various additives to look for or avoid. My question is purely a viscosity one: 10W-30 vs 10W-40 (or other viscosity).

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Slight difference in weight (Thickness) of the oil. Typically if your in a warmer climate you go with the heavier weight. But in our case with these rigs that difference between the 2 dosnt matter enough to loose sleep over unless your burning oil and need something heavier to make the difference.
Just as an example, Ive used 5w-40 in all my sxs’s since 16’ and no issue. Now its syn. You said u didnt want to go there so….
Watch this to help u further

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I see in the manual for my 2022 P520 that it recommends 10W-30 oil, but that 10W-40 is also acceptable for my local climate.

It seldom sees a high speed run (maybe an occasional run down to the mailbox a mile away, but that is rare, since they are not legal on roads here.) 90+% of the time it is low speed: below 15 MPH with occasional runs up to 20 or 25MPH. I use it year round, plowing the driveway in the winter, and working in the woods year round (sometime hauling a 1000# trailer of firewood). I'm in Vermont, so only rarely see temperatures in the 90s F (and tend not to be out working in that temperature if I can avoid it). It's sometimes used in 10˚F and rarely lower weather, but stored in a +/-45˚ drive-out basement of my shop, so it does not tend to see many really cold starts.

Given my use and my climate, I'm thinking no reason to switch to something other than 10W-30. Is there any reason to reconsider?

NOTE: I'm well aware of the TYPE of oil recommended for use in the engine/DCT. I really don't want to get in to another "Oil Wars" debate on dino vs synthetic or various additives to look for or avoid. My question is purely a viscosity one: 10W-30 vs 10W-40 (or other viscosity).
don't matter - don't overcomplicate this or make an engineering project out of it - if you were in the middle of the trail 8 miles out, for some reason needed a quart added to get back to trailhead - and somebody came by with a spare quart of 10/40 - would u accept and top off the 10/30 or walk?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!