P1000 1k3 or 1k5?

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello!

I'm doing some recon before a immanent purchase. I need a side by side for use on my property. Hailing things and people around. I have a wife, two kids and an English Mastiff. The purchase will be primarily used for work. But I've been known to have my fun as well. We have quads and dirt bikes that we ride regularly.

I can't decide if I should get a 5 or 3 seater. Any issues with crud getting in the back seats when using it for work? Other things I should consider?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was in the exact same place you are except I have two dogs. I went with the 5 seater and bought the Honda Bedliner. It works good around the homestead. It's definitely not as handy as the 3 seat model but it still does both rec and work good.

You can also camp out of it and have a roof over your head!

65c28f1b4c77d7ffe7a46678f5803e0c

A533fb9dd9cace6d6d1f9bc8934772f3

A5cbdeeb81c94bafeff0b87f955fcf30

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I say 5 because it's much more versatile if ever needed and resale will be higher. Can even take rear roll cage off and run like a 3. I've seen a couple regrets and people trying to transform the 3 which is expensive as hell.
3 is lighter so slight better performance and it would have less chance of a clutch issue. 3 tends to bottom the nose out a little less from what we've gathered and also has slightly larger box but the opening side doors on the 5 makes box easier to load/unload. Also 5 has storage under bed when seats are down.
Just look at all you're needing and possibly going to need down the road and base off of that. Research as you're doing is a great thing and I'm sure you'll find different opinions as there are good and bad points with each one but these are what I've picked up on either way

Last edited:
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you have kids, then I'd say get a 5. My kids are grown and the only thing I haul around are my hounds in a dog box. I would never use back seats so for me, the 3 is the perfect machine.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You already have too many people to ride in the front you better get the 5 seater. I use a $5 tarp in the back to hall sand and dirt in the 5-seater works great.

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great responses. I will certainly look into the 5. I have a trailer that I use with my tractor now that I can use with the Pioneer as well to keep stuff out of the bed. How are the back seats for adults? Roomy enough?

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
The back seats aren't bad. There not as comfortable as the front but there not bad. I've sat back there for short rides 30 minutes. The floor does get hot in the back as it's right over the engine didn't bother me when I had shoes on but barefoot was a little uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow Joey's advice on Bedliner if crud in your back seats is a concern. I got so tired of cleaning my rear seats I removed them. They don't see much use anyways. I prefer the 5p but honestly rarely use the extra seating. I'm a "just in case" kinda guy though. Rather have it and not need it instead of vise versa.

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have already started the design possibilities for covering the folded down seats. The family and I are going to look at all the options tonight after work. While there is a creak in the door I have to strike while the iron is hot before wife goes cold on the idea. Haha

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have already started the design possibilities for covering the folded down seats. The family and I are going to look at all the options tonight after work. While there is a creak in the door I have to strike while the iron is hot before wife goes cold on the idea. Haha
Very smart man!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
3 works for me but in your case the 5 would probably be better.. I'm pretty sure you give up some "work" space in the 5 seater too. Tailgate not as wide, etc. Depends on how much you plan on the whole family being there or how much you work it... good luck and welcome

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The 5 definitely works better for me.
The covered bed is great for keeping rain / snow off everything. Only a couple times would the 3 have been more useful when loading something tall into the bed that wont fit in the 5.

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am going to be working it more than playing so that's why I started off thinking that the 3 would be better. But we tend to goof off plenty with family and friends so that does open the door to consider the 5. My trailer option does help with the less desirable bed but I don't want to rely on that. Definitely some thinking to do. I'm sure when I see my girls in the back seat this evening I'll be convinced that the extra seating is worth it.

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well as it turns out we have decided to go in another direction. I believe we've ruled out the Honda machines altogether. I appreciate the advice I've gotten here. You fellas enjoy your machines they seem like very nice machines as Hondas usually are. We own two Hondas already so we're familiar with the quality.

Thanks again!

R

Rodney960

Mar 11, 2017
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well...... which way did you go?

1JB

Jun 22, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well...... which way did you go?

Were gonna go with a lower quality less expensive option. I just can't justify the expense of a Honda for this purchase. We're going to get a Mule. It is $4k cheaper and with the two rows bench seats probably a better fit for our needs. It's a lesser machine hence the lower price but I can do other fun stuff with the difference.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I can tell this is a quality forum.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!