20 HR Service question P500

N

NCPioneer

Aug 24, 2014
Denver NC
Just wondering how many members would take their machine to the dealer for their first scheduled check up? Looking at the book I think that the valve adjustment would be the biggest thing that I would need them to look at. The rest is just changing the oil and topping off the fluids. I got a price of $225.00 for the 20hr service. Should I just have them adjust the valves and change the oil myself or is this first one a dealer must? Thoughts.... :shock:

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well. The valves is the only issue. It can be done at home. Just most people do not have the experience to do it. And messing it up could cause issues. Bad news if you just have the dealer adjust the valves they will still charge $200 so best have them do it all the 1st go around.

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
Does anyone have the valve clearance spec?
Might be on page 222 of the service manual.
I'd prefer to do this type of thing myself.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
its .06 to .09 on a foreman im sure its the same on this pioneer 500

N

NCPioneer

Aug 24, 2014
Denver NC
I got it done for $217.00 out the door. They said that they adjusted the valves and changed the oil and everything else checked ok. The thing only had 9 hrs on it but the service light was already on.

S

Snowbird

Sep 17, 2013
NCPioneer said:
I got it done for $217.00 out the door. They said that they adjusted the valves and changed the oil and everything else checked ok. The thing only had 9 hrs on it but the service light was already on.

I recently asked the service manager at my dealer if they check the valve clearance when customers bring
their Honda's in for the first 100mi/20hr service. He said NEVER. If the valves aren't making any noise they
don't check them....and he said he's never heard them clattering on a machine that new. He said it's a lot
of work to get at the valves and customers don't want to pay for all that time.

I don't know if this is typical at most dealers....but I suspect it is. I also have a 1998 Honda Foreman with
3500 miles on it and I know the valve clearance has never been checked or adjusted and they make no noise.
It continues to start and run like new.

I prefer to do my own oil/filter changes and I am going to do my own 100mi/20hr service.

Has anybody here actually had to adjust their valve clearance on their new p500?

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
I know were talking P500, but when I bought a new Suzuki Savage 650 about 10 years ago I asked the dealer, local Suzuki service the same thing.
He said, you'll know when the valves need adjusting, it will tap and make noise the same way as a car.
The bike has 12000 plus miles on it, is 10 years old. Never needed the valve adjust.

N

Neal123

Hondasxs said:
Well. The valves is the only issue. It can be done at home. Just most people do not have the experience to do it. And messing it up could cause issues. Bad news if you just have the dealer adjust the valves they will still charge $200 so best have them do it all the 1st go around.

i agree with you but i would suggest you to hire any professional and let him do this, spend $200 once and get satisfaction for long time. friendly advice from my side

T

Tab

Oct 2, 2015
I recently asked the service manager at my dealer if they check the valve clearance when customers bring
their Honda's in for the first 100mi/20hr service. He said NEVER. If the valves aren't making any noise they
don't check them....and he said he's never heard them clattering on a machine that new. He said it's a lot
of work to get at the valves and customers don't want to pay for all that time.

I don't know if this is typical at most dealers....but I suspect it is. I also have a 1998 Honda Foreman with
3500 miles on it and I know the valve clearance has never been checked or adjusted and they make no noise.
It continues to start and run like new.

I prefer to do my own oil/filter changes and I am going to do my own 100mi/20hr service.

Has anybody here actually had to adjust their valve clearance on their new p500?

Just for those who don't understand the importance of valve adjustment: New valves don't get loose and make noise as this post implies. The valves get tighter due to the slamming at the seat interfaces. Without clearance they leak at the seats then burn or warp. The reason for additional clearance on the exhaust valve is heat. The exhaust valve needs a little more clearance due to heat and expansion.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine was .006 too loose on the first inspection. I will check again soon to see if there has been some movement.

Joe

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!